Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine that Tesla will develop some procedure for accommodating (saving their space in line) people who reserved early but choose to defer until AWD is available. Maybe that's through making AWD available immediately in the configurator with a notice that production won't begin until 6-9 months later, or some other mechanism.

That's what I'm expecting to see. As I understand it, that's how it worked if you had a Model X reservation and wanted, say, the five-seat configuration.

Unless they are going to offer P-versions in rear-wheel drive again, not having dual motors at launch means no P-versions at launch as well. Huge mistake in my opinion if true. I guess I need to either prepare for longer wait or look at alternative options.
What other performance EV did you have in mind?

Model 3 is supposed to be EV for the masses, not for people who want to go to the track. Non-P Teslas still have great acceleration. Good they're trying to keep it simple at first to maximize production, then additional features or options may be added. It shows they learn from their mistakes.

I was on the fence for AWD; I would have loved the extra performance that it brings, but I never would have needed the traction. This makes my decision a lot easier - RWD, AP, and larger battery, and get it ASAP. I made a second reservation back in October, I guess I can obsess over AWD when that one comes up.

It does surprise me a bit; they know how to build AWD, so building those first would have kept average price up, would have been sellable to everyone (desert to snow) who could afford it, and would have kept the Tesla rep for power/performance up. Of course, shipping RWD first might push quite a number of performance-first people over to the S.

If the federal incentive of $7,500 goes away or reduced AND the Colorado incentive of $5,000 goes away (on 1/1/2018) due to the bill (Repeal Income Tax Credit Innovative Motor Vehicles | Colorado General Assembly) making it's way through government by the time the "D" version is produced.

I will have to think long and hard about purchasing the Model 3 next year as AWD is a must for me and the incentives are a big part of why I reserved early.

I'm also starting to think Tesla has focused too much attention on simplifying manufacturing and possibly stripping away what is considered a normal interior ( ie. not having an instrument panel ) because they are pinning everything on autopilot or really full self driving.

This is my first time seeing that a Colorado Senator is proposing to repeal the State EV tax incentive, though I'm not surprised. Given that the legislature is split, with the Reps barely having a majority in the Senate and the Dems having a stronger hold in the House, and the Dems having the governor, do you think it is that likely that such a bill will pass? I have to think its not that likely...hmm..

My budget math does not count much or any of the federal tax credit, but I have been relying on the State credit. :/

I was on the fence for AWD; I would have loved the extra performance that it brings, but I never would have needed the traction. This makes my decision a lot easier - RWD, AP, and larger battery, and get it ASAP. I made a second reservation back in October, I guess I can obsess over AWD when that one comes up.

It does surprise me a bit; they know how to build AWD, so building those first would have kept average price up, would have been sellable to everyone (desert to snow) who could afford it, and would have kept the Tesla rep for power/performance up. Of course, shipping RWD first might push quite a number of performance-first people over to the S.

It takes time to engineer, tool, mfr, and document any feature. And it takes money before 1 car ships. So RWD only will save initial unit cost and get it to market quicker.

In my opinion, California weather (which ranges from deserts to high altitude mountains with serious winters) has nothing to do with the decision "minimizing configuration complexity to keep the production ramp on schedule" as just tweeted by Elon. The decision is based on what he stated.
I would not rule out a Performance version of the Model 3 at launch, since the S was launched only as a P version and the non-P came months later.

Here is Elon's tweet that started things off: "The Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advanced technology."

Than in response to a question about whether or not the 3 would have Dual Motor, Elon responded "Yes but not until next year."

Then Fred Lambert asked him to confirm that and Elon said "No, we are minimizing production complexity to keep the Model 3 ramp on schedule. RWD only for early production, just like the Model S."

Note that Elon did not say "No Performance version this year."

Big difference being that the S was launched without any confirmation there'd ever be an AWD option available. If you're in the market for a performance vehicle, why would you buy the RWD option believing the better performing AWD will be right around the corner? The X was launched with AWD and both the X and S don't offer a performance version without AWD currently. Likely because the demand is not there for a P with no D.

So if the goal is streamlining production, I don't see why they'd offer a P version at launch.

This is my first time seeing that a Colorado Senator is proposing to repeal the State EV tax incentive, though I'm not surprised. Given that the legislature is split, with the Reps barely having a majority in the Senate and the Dems having a stronger hold in the House, and the Dems having the governor, do you think it is that likely that such a bill will pass? I have to think its not that likely...hmm..

My budget math does not count much or any of the federal tax credit, but I have been relying on the State credit. :/

I want to believe it will not pass but given the current state of politics I feel anything is possible.

What other performance EV did you have in mind?

Model 3 is supposed to be EV for the masses, not for people who want to go to the track. Non-P Teslas still have great acceleration. Good they're trying to keep it simple at first to maximize production, then additional features or options may be added. It shows they learn from their mistakes.
Just because someone wants a P-version doesn't necessarily mean they want to go to the track. It's still a sedan, not a track car. If I want to go the track, I'll take my Porsche. I know even non-performance S's offer good acceleration (I've driven a few), but I'm accustomed to even better and if I can afford it, why not. Major driving force is wife wants to finally get something with 4 doors and usable rear seats instead of 2 doors. But still want the performance I'm accustomed too.

As far as alternatives, about the only one I am considering is the Jaguar I-pace, possible the Lucid Air. But those would be even longer wait. Most likely I would get a CPO S or X if the 3 turns out to not fit my needs.

I want to believe it will not pass but given the current state of politics I feel anything is possible.

Fair enough. Better to keep expectations low I suppose. Fortunately, the state of politics here seems to be more balanced, if not slightly leaning the other way than what is going on at the federal level. We will see. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll be working on adjusting my expectations for the potential of no credits available.

AWD is a desired option for me (mainly for range). Admittedly I was a little disappointed at first when I heard this news, but now I'm cool with it. I won't be the first kid on the block to get one, but at least it'll give Tesla more time to iron out the car more before I get my hands on it.
The difference in range is marginal, isn't it, something like a few percentage points?

As far as alternatives, about the only one I am considering is the Jaguar I-pace, possible the Lucid Air. But those would be even longer wait. Most likely I would get a CPO S or X if the 3 turns out to not fit my needs.
An even longer wait, and much higher prices. Those cars (if they are ever built) will compete with the Model S, not the Model 3. Sounds like what you really want is the Model S P100D. The Model 3 is intended as a mass market car, not for those whose other car is a Porsche.

so i am seeing a mixed bag here.. FIrst off, I am about to pick up my CPO next week or week after. I will then reserve a model 3.
I live in Iowa, where we get snow, etc... However, when I had trucks, or AWD or any car (ive had a LOT) I never cared. In my truck, i used 4x4 or AWD for a truck 2x a year. 90% of the time the snow falls, it sucks for a day, and its plowed and streets are fine a day later.
The actual days per year that I would really need AWD may be 5 total.
I realize that is different in places like BUffalo or Colorado etc.
To me, ill probably still go early if I can, and the range is good. I will NOT get in early if there isnt a big battery option with at least 275 miles of range.
If they plan to limp out with the equiv of a S60 barebones config with 1 battery option, No P or D, then thats a HUGE mistake

Reactions: CTreast
This being a commuter car for me, I don't really need AWD. We have an AWD CUV that we use for road trips with the corgi (which I hope we will eventually replace with the Y). I've been going back and forth about AWD but this cements it for me. It makes sense that they are doing this to streamline production in the beginning. It can be easy to miss the fact that a lot of people who signed up may already be stretching to afford this car and therefore not be interested in shelling out additional $$ for AWD/Performance. If going this route will get the car in to more people's hands as fast as possible, I'm all for it.

The one thing I'm concerned about is missing out on other features (other than EAP/FSD) that maybe introduced along with AWD. Will there also be tech that is omitted in the beginning that will show up after a few months? That would really suck. But then again, it may be impossible to "keep up" as well.

An even longer wait, and much higher prices. Those cars (if they are ever built) will compete with the Model S, not the Model 3. Sounds like what you really want is the Model S P100D. The Model 3 is intended as a mass market car, not for those whose other car is a Porsche.
Want P100D, yes, but not going to spend $160K for it. I'll spend $80K for performance version 3. I rather prefer a smaller car over an S. Not going to lose any sleep over it and get wrapped up in all the commotion from the latest revelations. Will see what really pans out come launch and configuration time.

Want P100D, yes, but not going to spend $160K for it. I'll spend $80K for performance version 3. I rather prefer a smaller car over an S. Not going to lose any sleep over it and get wrapped up in all the commotion from the latest revelations. Will see what really pans out come launch and configuration time.

Where do you suggest they shave $80,000 off the car?

It will be hard to get a MS60 down by $30k to make a base M3, but where to shave $50,000 more off the car will be harder.

Reactions: pikachu and TexasEV
I find this news quite disappointing yet understandable.

For those who regularly drive in California's higher mountains, AWD is generally considered a must-have. Our authorities are very quick to require snow chains, and the only way to mostly avoid this requirement is to have AWD. It doesn't matter how good one's snow driving skills may be, or how good one's tires are - without AWD, you'll be getting down in the road grime and installing chains to satisfy the authorities. And I hate having to drive with chains on roads that may actually be mostly free of snow.

At present, our vehicles are 2WD, as we chose to purchase a pre-owned 2012 Model S rather than spending tens of thousands more for a newer Model S with AWD. We figured we'd get through a winter season or two installing chains as needed until we're able to replace our family's Prius with a Model 3. (We previously had an ICE car with AWD, but it was getting pretty old and we sold it when we got the Model S.)

So, I guess our biggest concern would be missing the $7500 tax credit on a Model 3 with AWD. This is less of a concern than whether Tesla is able to successfully ramp up Model 3 production for the mass market. But it does hurt on a personal level.

I suppose that before next winter kicks in, we could sell our 2012 Model S and replace it with a late model, used (or discounted inventory) Model S or X that has AWD and maybe AP2. Then forget about AWD on the Model 3. That would cost more, but we'd have a nicer fleet of cars.

On the other hand, if our tax credit only drops from $7500 to $3750 on a Model 3 with AWD, that's probably not worth agonizing over.