Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what the hysterics are all about. We always knew that certain configurations would be produced first. With 400,000 reservations, just because you personally are not getting the configuration you want first does not count for a whole heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things. There are tons of people who want a RWD, non-performance 3. I don't see why it's a travesty that this car is produced first, and an AWD second. If it had been the other way around, would anyone have raised a fuss?

If the federal incentive of $7,500 goes away or reduced AND the Colorado incentive of $5,000 goes away (on 1/1/2018) due to the bill (Repeal Income Tax Credit Innovative Motor Vehicles | Colorado General Assembly) making it's way through government by the time the "D" version is produced.

I will have to think long and hard about purchasing the Model 3 next year as AWD is a must for me and the incentives are a big part of why I reserved early.

I'm also starting to think Tesla has focused too much attention on simplifying manufacturing and possibly stripping away what is considered a normal interior ( ie. not having an instrument panel ) because they are pinning everything on autopilot or really full self driving.

Agreed. I have budgeted with the idea that the fed rebate may not be there, but if the timing would put an AWD model 3 in my hands at a point where there is no fed or state rebate, I'll definitely be reviewing other options, like a CPO 60/70D or an ICE vehicle.

That's what I'm expecting to see. As I understand it, that's how it worked if you had a Model X reservation and wanted, say, the five-seat configuration.
Similar but the 5 seat option wasn't offered when they first opened up the Design Studio to those with reservations. They added it later since so many people were requesting folding seats and the 6 and 7 seat configuration didn't work for them.

Last edited:
If the federal incentive of $7,500 goes away or reduced AND the Colorado incentive of $5,000 goes away (on 1/1/2018) due to the bill (Repeal Income Tax Credit Innovative Motor Vehicles | Colorado General Assembly) making it's way through government by the time the "D" version is produced.

I will have to think long and hard about purchasing the Model 3 next year as AWD is a must for me and the incentives are a big part of why I reserved early.

I'm also starting to think Tesla has focused too much attention on simplifying manufacturing and possibly stripping away what is considered a normal interior ( ie. not having an instrument panel ) because they are pinning everything on autopilot or really full self driving.

Have to agree with this as a fellow Colorodian - waiting for AWD will probably cost me thousands - but AWD is the #1 thing I need and I thought since I'm closer to the west coast than the east and was probably making the car I'd get it sooner than later. Very disappointing.

I made my reservation morning-after (March 1) — 193,000 — but never expected delivery before fall 2018. Will wait in any case for dual-motor to get 4-wheel magnetic braking (regen), an absolute requirement for me. Balanced braking, even tire wear. Live in San Diego county so no snow.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Regardless of intent, that is a benefit to the ones who really need the credit. As the higher end users will wait for The Precious.

LOL.

Honestly - this seems like an attempt to optimize roll out for those that could "use" the tax break as much as possible - i.e. those of us who wouldn't typically be able to afford a car that's $40k+.

I'm not sure what the hysterics are all about. We always knew that certain configurations would be produced first. With 400,000 reservations, just because you personally are not getting the configuration you want first does not count for a whole heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things. There are tons of people who want a RWD, non-performance 3. I don't see why it's a travesty that this car is produced first, and an AWD second. If it had been the other way around, would anyone have raised a fuss?
It's not a travesty, just disappointing. I guess I expected that as an existing Tesla-owning family in California ordering a Model 3 with significant options (autonomous drive, bigger battery, AWD), we'd be able to take delivery sooner and be assured of receiving the full tax credit. I assumed that Tesla already had AWD pretty well sorted and that early cars would have this. But I do understand the need to keep the manufacturing process as simple as possible, and in light of that, I assumed too much.

I agree that there will be good in this, as those willing to pay for the very most expensive configurations can probably live without the tax credit. And, ultimately, the Model 3 will have to be successful without tax credits, which I fully anticipate it will be.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Fair enough. Better to keep expectations low I suppose. Fortunately, the state of politics here seems to be more balanced, if not slightly leaning the other way than what is going on at the federal level. We will see. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll be working on adjusting my expectations for the potential of no credits available.

I don't mean to go too off topic but this bill might have traction as they put in . . . "To credit the resulting estimated tax revenue to the highway users tax fund; " This is backed by the Koch brother's organization "Americans for Prosperity" which we all know is just trying to keep people on dinosaur fuel longer . More here :

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/11/...nt/electric-cars-hybrid-tax-credits.html?_r=0

• Informative
Reactions: PaulJB
Elon says: 'I believe so' that AWD 3's will be out in time to qualify for US tax credit:.. (at least for first rezs):

AWD-Tax.jpg

Obviously this is a push to sell Model S/X.

They know they are swamped with Model 3 anyway. They want to push the money customers to higher margin models that have already ramped up. And simplicity helps, too, of course. They already went down this route with Model X, making a catastrophic launch a little better by limiting the cars and features they build. Perhaps the second motor, HUD etc. simply are not mature yet, so they recently made a decision what to ship come Q3... That will be the setup they ramp-up with, so... maybe the first 6-9 months?

If you can afford a premium SUV, buy a Model S instead. That is what Tesla is trying to tell you.

I need to clean my ears, though, because all I am hearing them telling to me is buy the I-Pace instead of a Model 3 as a second EV. The part about Model Y being a few years away helps focus on the I-Pace too... :) I know my pal @smac is with me somewhere on that wrong-side driving Brexit island...

Reactions: smac and cdub
We always knew that certain configurations would be produced first.

Sure, but everyone expected high-end configurations to come first as history, past comments from Tesla and as certain logic suggests. Not this.

With 400,000 reservations, just because you personally are not getting the configuration you want first does not count for a whole heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Why should an owner commenting on a car forum care about some grand scheme? I would expect people to voice their own feelings and observations as they have. Let them vent, it is OK to be disappointed.

There are tons of people who want a RWD, non-performance 3. I don't see why it's a travesty that this car is produced first, and an AWD second.

It is not a travesty, and you are right there will still be plenty of buyers, but at the same time a lot of people with reservations and first in line certainly are disappointed. Of course there are those who are not disappointed as well.

If it had been the other way around, would anyone have raised a fuss?

Probably less so. Offering high-end first would have been more expected.

I'm really disappointed that AWD will not be available until "later".
Every car I have owned for the past 30 years has been AWD since I live in the mountains and it is a "must have" to get around here (at the very least, to get through chain control... I will never put chains on a car).
I can understand that why they are doing this at the start but don't know why it will take so long for the AWD to be added. They have been making AWD cars for a few years now so it's not like they have to invent anything.
AWD has great advantages for performance on all road surfaces as well as efficiency gains.
I guess I'll just have to wait... bummer.

Then why would they discontinue the S60, the car they introduced to woo the Model 3 reservationists? I just think they can't get all the variations up and running right off the bat.

As ludicrous (sorry) as it sounds, I speculate they are discontinuing the 60D to sell more Model S. It just happens to end its sale after the first month (counting up to two weeks of confirmation period) of Q2, with enough time to ship those 60Ds and deliver them to most markets.

All this is about beefing up the Q2 numbers.

As for 60D after Q2, it had poorer margin than the rest of the cars - I would bet they figure budget restrained customers will go for the Model 3 anyway starting in Q3... the premium segment can be enticed to go for a Model S 75 kWH and up, which is what Elon's current Twitter tirade seems to be all about.

I mean, it is almost as if Elon is talking smack about the Model 3.

Obviously this is a push to sell Model S/X.

Along these lines, I just received the following email from a local Tesla sales rep with the subject "Your Model 3 Reservation". It explicitly references Elon's statement from this morning about AWD being unavailable initially, and then transitions into a standard Model S upsell pitch:

I'm looking to connect with you about your Model 3 reservation. Earlier today, our founder, Elon indicated that Model 3 will enter initial production with only rear-wheel drive.

With that in mind, you are still able to order an all-wheel drive Model S with a base price of $73,000 until April 16th. The Model S is our flagship vehicle and currently eligible for $9,500 in incentives.

Did any other Model 3 reservation holders who are not already Tesla owners else get an email like this today? If this is a coordinated campaign, then that all but confirms the primary intent of this morning's tweetstorm in this man's humble opinion...