Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He just confirmed no "P" Model 3 for at least a year.

I don't know if it came up later, but is it confirmed that there will be no P version, or just no PD version.

It isn't uncommon to have two different performance models, Mercedes C43 and C63, Audi S4 RS4, so Tesla surely could build a 400-500hp RWD P version, their new inverters are rated 300+kW, and a more powerful, as well as more expensive, PD version later.

Those should be easy to build and would still bring in more cash than the vanilla 70s (75,80,85, whatever you thing is the biggest battery option).

Reactions: samsonm3
I don't know if it came up later, but is it confirmed that there will be no P version, or just no PD version.

It isn't uncommon to have two different performance models, Mercedes C43 and C63, Audi S4 RS4, so Tesla surely could build a 400-500hp RWD P version, their new inverters are rated 300+kW, and a more powerful, as well as more expensive, PD version later.

Those should be easy to build and would still bring in more cash than the vanilla 70s (75,80,85, whatever you thing is the biggest battery option).

Didn't Elon mention Peformance in general, not PD, would only come later?

That said, in any case I find a non-D P version unlikely, but given the volume nature of Model 3 and the unique circumstance of D launching only later... not completely impossible.

With the news that AWD and P won't be available for a while, and really wanting AP, I am reconsidering whether I really want to wait for P-AWD, or whether I should just get my Model 3 as soon as I can, configured as close as I can to what I want, and then maybe consider trading up after a year or two.

One concern is that if I take the RWD, that uses my favorable place in line. Then when the P-AWD becomes available I'll be much further back in line for that one. So I might have to wait two years rather than just one. Another concern, since we really won't know what options are available until the design studio goes live, is what version of AP will be available right off the bat.

But maybe I don't really need P-AWD. I am spoiled by the torque of the Roadster, and I would love the improved handling of AWD, but perhaps getting AP a year sooner is more important. I didn't buy the Roadster for being a powerful car. I bought it for being electric, and then got used to the power. A Model S, used or new, is out because I just won't buy a car that big.

Obviously I won't be making a final decision until they tell me I can configure my car, but I'm wrestling with the choices. A test drive would help, but I don't really expect to have the opportunity to take a test drive before I have to decide whether to go ahead and order what's available as soon as possible, or wait.

Reactions: ohmman
With the news that AWD and P won't be available for a while, and really wanting AP, I am reconsidering whether I really want to wait for P-AWD, or whether I should just get my Model 3 as soon as I can, configured as close as I can to what I want, and then maybe consider trading up after a year or two.

One concern is that if I take the RWD, that uses my favorable place in line. Then when the P-AWD becomes available I'll be much further back in line for that one. So I might have to wait two years rather than just one. Another concern, since we really won't know what options are available until the design studio goes live, is what version of AP will be available right off the bat.

But maybe I don't really need P-AWD. I am spoiled by the torque of the Roadster, and I would love the improved handling of AWD, but perhaps getting AP a year sooner is more important. I didn't buy the Roadster for being a powerful car. I bought it for being electric, and then got used to the power. A Model S, used or new, is out because I just won't buy a car that big.

Obviously I won't be making a final decision until they tell me I can configure my car, but I'm wrestling with the choices. A test drive would help, but I don't really expect to have the opportunity to take a test drive before I have to decide whether to go ahead and order what's available as soon as possible, or wait.
After two years and the proposed full production rate, I can't image wait time for a 3 would be any worse than it currently is for an S or X of 2-3 months, plus I'm sure there will be inventory cars as well.

Didn't Elon mention Peformance in general, not PD, would only come later?

That said, in any case I find a non-D P version unlikely, but given the volume nature of Model 3 and the unique circumstance of D launching only later... not completely impossible.

A RWD P would make tons of sense, in my opinion. My reasoning for it would be:

-As easy to make as any RWD Model 3

-There should be enough space between a regular Model 3 and the PD version, in terms of performance and price. That would even be the case for the Model S.

-It would bring more money and profit in a time where they would definitely need it. 10k more shouldn't be a problem for consumers, so 500 million more revenue on the first 50k cars, with an immense gross margin, as it usually is with options like that, sounds more than nice.

-They are woking on a 300+kW inverter, that's 400+ hp. More than enough power for an entry level performance variant in this class. If they can find a matching motor lying around, the combination would probably propel the Model 3 to 60 in less than 4 seconds and a low 12s quarter mile time. Not ludicrous, but still pretty insane and right where the top of the line petrol competition(C63s, M3, ATSV) is.

A RWD P would make tons of sense, in my opinion. My reasoning for it would be:

-As easy to make as any RWD Model 3

-There should be enough space between a regular Model 3 and the PD version, in terms of performance and price. That would even be the case for the Model S.

-It would bring more money and profit in a time where they would definitely need it. 10k more shouldn't be a problem for consumers, so 500 million more revenue on the first 50k cars, with an immense gross margin, as it usually is with options like that, sounds more than nice.

-They are woking on a 300+kW inverter, that's 400+ hp. More than enough power for an entry level performance variant in this class. If they can find a matching motor lying around, the combination would probably propel the Model 3 to 60 in less than 4 seconds and a low 12s quarter mile time. Not ludicrous, but still pretty insane and right where the top of the line petrol competition(C63s, M3, ATSV) is.

I agree that a lot of people would buy the RWD-P (including me if I decide not to wait for the AWD) but an awful lot of people are going to really stretch their budget to buy this car and would find a bigger battery a more useful place to put some extra money. It's unrealistic to think that all of those first 50K cars would be ordered with P. Maybe offering P would garner them an extra 50 million on the first 50K cars, but definitely not $500 million.

I agree that a lot of people would buy the RWD-P (including me if I decide not to wait for the AWD) but an awful lot of people are going to really stretch their budget to buy this car and would find a bigger battery a more useful place to put some extra money. It's unrealistic to think that all of those first 50K cars would be ordered with P. Maybe offering P would garner them an extra 50 million on the first 50K cars, but definitely not $500 million.

I'd make the P only an option with the largest battery, partly for power reasons and partly because even more cash. Then I'd tell them that P75, let's just cal it that, orders will be prioritized and subtly mention that the federal tax credit won't be around forever. If they price it as a $7,500 anyone would order it, to get the $7,500 incentive. It is a better car for the same amount of money. So they surely could go up to 10k as well.

And if they do it on the fist 50k cars available to the public, they will have 375-500 million more revenue.

There's only a lag time of a few months, especially with Elon mentioning some early pre-order AWD models could be delivered before the end of this year. It's unlikely they make a non AWD performance version if they don't know. Elon mentioned the P would come after AWD, so it makes sense that it'd be AWD as well and better for range I'd imagine.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Performance AWD version in December/January timeframe.

Reactions: hoang51

I addressed that my making a second reservation this week to supplement my day 1 reservation. I'll buy the first one as soon as possible with the best configuration available and have another spot further down the line to be ready for an upgrade. If it doesn't work out, get my money back. That's the beauty of deposits being refundable.

How does the lack of a tax credit make or break this decision when you already own a Model S and X? $7500 is clearly not that big of a deal to you lol.
First of all, I didn't say "it would make or break the decision", I said it is a factor. Secondly I own an X, not an S, and did get the $7500 credit, and third I said I would defer or cancel. I will probably defer and make an informed decision when the "D" version comes out.

Reactions: ohmman
So here's a question: When they invite us to configure, are we likely to have at least a rough idea (other than wild speculation) how long we'd have to wait for any particular configuration? Let's say I'd rather get AWD or P-AWD, but maybe I'd be willing to get RWD and no P if the higher options won't be out for another 9 months. (In order to get AP sooner.) Will I have any solid information on which to base my decision?

Yes, I'm asking for wild speculation on the question of whether at time of configuring the time frame for delivery of the higher options will just be wild speculation.

Surveys have shown that the vast majority of drivers believe they are better than average drivers. I know I am not a better driver than most others. I'm probably average to slightly below average. I make an effort to always drive safely, but I am under no illusions that I'm a better driver than other typical drivers. And I believe that AP used properly will improve my safety. So I might decide to settle for RWD in order to get AP sooner. Then maybe trade up at some time in the future. (And I'll definitely trade up when full autonomous driving becomes available.) But it's going to be difficult to make the decision without information regarding the added delay.

I bought my Roadster because at the time I was desperate to get a "proper" EV to replace the little Zap Xebra, not because I wanted a sports car. I've gotten spoiled by the torque. But maybe it's time to downgrade to "normal" EV performance and upgrade to AP.

So here's a question: When they invite us to configure, are we likely to have at least a rough idea (other than wild speculation) how long we'd have to wait for any particular configuration? Let's say I'd rather get AWD or P-AWD, but maybe I'd be willing to get RWD and no P if the higher options won't be out for another 9 months. (In order to get AP sooner.) Will I have any solid information on which to base my decision?

Yes, I'm asking for wild speculation on the question of whether at time of configuring the time frame for delivery of the higher options will just be wild speculation.

Surveys have shown that the vast majority of drivers believe they are better than average drivers. I know I am not a better driver than most others. I'm probably average to slightly below average. I make an effort to always drive safely, but I am under no illusions that I'm a better driver than other typical drivers. And I believe that AP used properly will improve my safety. So I might decide to settle for RWD in order to get AP sooner. Then maybe trade up at some time in the future. (And I'll definitely trade up when full autonomous driving becomes available.) But it's going to be difficult to make the decision without information regarding the added delay.

I bought my Roadster because at the time I was desperate to get a "proper" EV to replace the little Zap Xebra, not because I wanted a sports car. I've gotten spoiled by the torque. But maybe it's time to downgrade to "normal" EV performance and upgrade to AP.

Nobody really knows, of course, but past history indicated that Tesla will tell you roughly when they will start building various configurations up front.

Why would you need to "defer" for the "D" delivery. Wouldn't you just configure upon invitation for your desired options including "dual motor", and Tesla would deliver per production schedule for same:confused:

My expectation is that when the design studio opens, it'll open in reservation blocks the way they did with the Model X. You can choose to configure and order at that time or wait (defer). This is the way Tesla gives you priority, and choosing to wait means that you're waiving your reservation priority. Again, precisely how they handled the Model X.

I am assuming that when the design studio first opens, it will not have AWD as an option. The options available for configuration will be the options available for immediate builds. So that implies that a lot of people who are ordering RWD vehicles, but who reserved after me and are not current owners/California residents/etc., will jump in front of me as their design studios open.

At the time AWD is available for configuration, I'll be able to place my order and it will be put in queue.

Again, that's my guess as to how it will work, informed to some degree by how they handled Model X.

My expectation is that when the design studio opens, it'll open in reservation blocks the way they did with the Model X. You can choose to configure and order at that time or wait (defer). This is the way Tesla gives you priority, and choosing to wait means that you're waiving your reservation priority. Again, precisely how they handled the Model X.

I am assuming that when the design studio first opens, it will not have AWD as an option. The options available for configuration will be the options available for immediate builds. So that implies that a lot of people who are ordering RWD vehicles, but who reserved after me and are not current owners/California residents/etc., will jump in front of me as their design studios open.

At the time AWD is available for configuration, I'll be able to place my order and it will be put in queue.

Again, that's my guess as to how it will work, informed to some degree by how they handled Model X.

I highly doubt they would take a deferral approach for any option they plan to release with, delays or not.

If you're going to use the Model X as a comparison, look no further than the 5 seat option. When the Model X opened to the first configurations (after Founder/Signature) it had a 5 seat option that could be selected. It just had the message "available mid 2016" (this was late 2015).

5-seater-mid-2016-jpg.102830

Just like AWD for the 3, Tesla communicated prior to release that a 5 seat option would be available for the X. They had it available for people to select when orders opened, but didn't fulfill the option until later. I see no reason to believe they would do anything different for the 3.

I highly doubt they would take a deferral approach for any option they plan to release with, delays or not.

If you're going to use the Model X as a comparison, look no further than the 5 seat option. When the Model X opened to the first configurations (after Founder/Signature) it had a 5 seat option that could be selected. It just had the message "available mid 2016" (this was late 2015).

5-seater-mid-2016-jpg.102830

Just like AWD for the 3, Tesla communicated prior to release that a 5 seat option would be available for the X. They had it available for people to select when orders opened, but didn't fulfill the option until later. I see no reason to believe they would do anything different for the 3.
That's also had they did it with options when the S was introduced. The options were available to choose up front, but some options would delay delivery.

If they are going to let us configure all day long and just not process the configuration until we set one up that has options that are 'available' (and then leave it for 7 days (whatever)), that sounds great. May crash the website.... Not that there's anything wrong with that...