Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No battery degradation??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MY long range for a couple months now and really enjoy the car. I keep hearing about battery degradation occurring within the first few months of ownership and then leveling off and not dropping as fast. I have over 2500 miles and am showing zero signs of degradation? I've attached picture to show that when sliding the charger line to 100% it shows over the rated range (327)? I attached a photo for others to see, my charging habits in case anybody is wondering is just keeping it plugged into a 120V outlet when not driving. I also have supercharged maybe 4 times. What are you guys seeing with degradation for your cars at or around this millage? Is my car still too new to show signs yet? Also i keep hearing that some of the model Y's have a 82kwh battery... maybe accounting for not showing signs of degradation? My vin is 157XXX

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210522-095821_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522-095821_Tesla.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 201
I charge about every other day at home on a 240v 40amp juicebox charger. And I charge up to about 85%.
I spoke to a friend today about my concerns. He said it may be the car is showing you how many “miles” you have based on your driving style. If you drive it hard, your miles will show lower vs if you’re more conservative, you’ll have more miles.
Does anyone know?

I charge about every other day at home on a 240v 40amp juicebox charger. And I charge up to about 85%.
I spoke to a friend today about my concerns. He said it may be the car is showing you how many “miles” you have based on your driving style. If you drive it hard, your miles will show lower vs if you’re more conservative, you’ll have more miles.
Does anyone know?
Well i would assume that but i have the acceleration boost and drive it pretty hard not everyday mind you but at least twice a week. I keep mine charged to 60% now and on weekends increase that if i know i'm going somewhere further. I used to keep in at 80% but only realized that i used about 15% per day.. so i figured i would drop to 60 just incase it may help the battery in the long run? but i'm no genius lol

I baby my MY battery, and in 11 months, and 12k miles, I dropped from 326 to 283. Some just do poorly (like mine) and some do well. I'm almost half way to qualifying for a battery replacement. Hopefully it flattens out soon, or keeps falling to 228 (new battery).
Did you see a drop in miles closer to the beginning of your ownership or more towards the midway point? just trying to see if you experienced a drop in mile where my car is now?

You bought the car with one of if not the most advanced battery management software
in the world. While others are dabbing their feet Tesla spent a decade perfecting the science
before releasing the Model S.

Here I am in a 2015 with initial range of 260mi now at 245mi after more than six
years, and I drive spiritedly.

Does anyone know?
Nope. Tesla battery mgmt doesn't adjust for driving style.

Another user posted a very in-depth explanation for potentially why this happens. It's from the M3 forum (and applicable to the 3) but I would imagine it applies to the MY as well as both models have a lot of commonality. It's a long read, but informative to this exact issue.

Reactions: SigNC
Other folks have posted more details, but the battery management system occasionally needs to calibrate itself, and to do that it needs the car to be off (no camp mode, no dog mode, and Sentry Mode off) for several hours, at various states of charge. If it's always at the same charge state when you let it sit for that long, it can drift out of calibration. And it always errs on the side of showing lower range (because it's a much bigger problem if you have less range than the car tells you). So your actual range may be unchanged; it's just the BMS not knowing exactly how much is really in the battery.

Search the forums if you want more detail.

Other folks have posted more details, but the battery management system occasionally needs to calibrate itself, and to do that it needs the car to be off (no camp mode, no dog mode, and Sentry Mode off) for several hours, at various states of charge. If it's always at the same charge state when you let it sit for that long, it can drift out of calibration. And it always errs on the side of showing lower range (because it's a much bigger problem if you have less range than the car tells you). So your actual range may be unchanged; it's just the BMS not knowing exactly how much is really in the battery.

Search the forums if you want more detail.
Agree - if I leave Sentry Mode on for a week (set the default to "On" when I leave the car), I notice my total range continues to drop. I've followed the steps to let the BMS re-calibrate and it does climb back to a higher number.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Thanks for the graph! interesting, do you enjoy the app? what do they provide you that's worth the download?
Ironically, I'd probably be happier not seeing my battery health. It's the worst of the 22 cars with teslafi at similar miles. I also have an OBD-II adapter and "scanmytesla" which agrees with my poor battery performance. The battery health info is easily seen via setting the charge slider to max in the app when range is displayed, and the kWh of the battery is easily seen via the energy screen calculation.

Bottom line, the graph and history is nice, but it gives you something to worry about.

Scanmytesla is very nice in that you can see lots of info and see your speed performance (e.g. 0-60), but it doesn't have the nice recorded graphs.

Ironically, I'd probably be happier not seeing my battery health. It's the worst of the 22 cars with teslafi at similar miles. I also have an OBD-II adapter and "scanmytesla" which agrees with my poor battery performance. The battery health info is easily seen via setting the charge slider to max in the app when range is displayed, and the kWh of the battery is easily seen via the energy screen calculation.

Bottom line, the graph and history is nice, but it gives you something to worry about.

Scanmytesla is very nice in that you can see lots of info and see your speed performance (e.g. 0-60), but it doesn't have the nice recorded graphs.
Teslafi and Scanmytesla or any other similar apps are all probably pulling the same data from the BMS. The M3 calculated ranges have a tendency drift under certain conditions (it's probably safe to assume the MY battery packs are similar in this regard). If you look at the thread that is linked above, @SomeJoe7777, does a fantastic job explaining why that's the case (and why it's more prominent on the M3/MY battery configuration) and even some steps taken to force the BMS to recalibrate more accurately.

The TL;DR version is that your battery capacity is most likely fine and this is a limitation/estimation issue with the BMS.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
The battery health info is easily seen via setting the charge slider to max in the app when range is displayed, and the kWh of the battery is easily seen via the energy screen calculation.

Not true.. When you adjust the charge level slider to 100%, the max estimated range is displayed, nothing more. The difference between advertised max range and this estimate is not how you understand the health of the battery, period.

Last edited:
I've had my MY long range for a couple months now and really enjoy the car. I keep hearing about battery degradation occurring within the first few months of ownership and then leveling off and not dropping as fast. I have over 2500 miles and am showing zero signs of degradation? I've attached picture to show that when sliding the charger line to 100% it shows over the rated range (327)? I attached a photo for others to see, my charging habits in case anybody is wondering is just keeping it plugged into a 120V outlet when not driving. I also have supercharged maybe 4 times. What are you guys seeing with degradation for your cars at or around this millage? Is my car still too new to show signs yet? Also i keep hearing that some of the model Y's have a 82kwh battery... maybe accounting for not showing signs of degradation? My vin is 157XXX
My LR Y delivered in Dec and showed no degradation until I added the accel boost in Mar and now shows 317 max range. I have only used the SC’s 3 times (adding < 150mi ea time) and charge frequently in low doses while keeping the charging limit to 80%. Hopefully no further range degradation.