Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Blind Spot Detection Without FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a notification in my Tesla app this morning promoting V9. The detailed user manual makes clear that, as limited as it is, the new blind spot detection display is available only to FSD owners. The rest of us still get grey squiggles warning of nothing.

I’m sorry to take issue with that provisioning decision, but it just seems wrong. I understand why the enhanced lane change feature, which actively prevents initiated lane changes into occupied lanes, belongs in the AutoPilot feature set. I cannot see where displaying a subtle graphic indicator of adjacent traffic ought not be standard package safety gear. A chime even better when the turn lever engages and traffic is adjacent. Still no Autopilot in use here.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m firmly in the there-are-no-blind-spots-with-mirrors-adjusted-correctly school. I once read an interview with the guy who patented the rear view mirror who couldn’t be more clear about how it should be used. Still, belts and suspenders for safety, right? Any new firmware display feature that could help avoid collisions and injury should be rolled out to all owners. Indicating the presence of an adjacent car is not autonomous driving. Even the $18K Honda Fit with BSD knows the difference.

I’m just a new Tesla owner kinda embarrassed by the fact that an entry level car offers a more advanced safety feature. Note I said “offers.” The fact that the Model 3 actually has it, but Tesla won’t make it available to all, only seems to make it worse.

I trust my mirrors but always welcome extra help. Just ask my wife.

I will wait to see what the actual upgrade includes. Does anyone else expect or want to see Tesla introduce some form of firmware-based BSD to the entire M3 fleet?

I found a notification in my Tesla app this morning promoting V9. The detailed user manual makes clear that, as limited as it is, the new blind spot detection display is available only to FSD owners. The rest of us still get grey squiggles warning of nothing.

I’m sorry to take issue with that provisioning decision, but it just seems wrong. I understand why the enhanced lane change feature, which actively prevents initiated lane changes into occupied lanes, belongs in the AutoPilot feature set. I cannot see where displaying a subtle graphic indicator of adjacent traffic ought not be standard package safety gear. A chime even better when the turn lever engages and traffic is adjacent. Still no Autopilot in use here.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m firmly in the there-are-no-blind-spots-with-mirrors-adjusted-correctly school. I once read an interview with the guy who patented the rear view mirror who couldn’t be more clear about how it should be used. Still, belts and suspenders for safety, right? Any new firmware display feature that could help avoid collisions and injury should be rolled out to all owners. Indicating the presence of an adjacent car is not autonomous driving. Even the $18K Honda Fit with BSD knows the difference.

I’m just a new Tesla owner kinda embarrassed by the fact that an entry level car offers a more advanced safety feature. Note I said “offers.” The fact that the Model 3 actually has it, but Tesla won’t make it available to all, only seems to make it worse.

I trust my mirrors but always welcome extra help. Just ask my wife.

I will wait to see what the actual upgrade includes. Does anyone else expect or want to see Tesla introduce some form of firmware-based BSD to the entire M3 fleet?
I have just got the MY nearly 2 weeks and nearly got in accident 3 times so far cause of no blind spot you have to look over shoulder or place blind spot mirror on the side view mirror ancient low tech way to get this paying $50k+ for a car and dont even get this very safety feature something is wrong, yes been told have to have FSD to get this another $10k to get this very safety feature something wrong to have a high tech green very safe car and dont even get the first normal big safety item like this, i love the car but come on at least provide the basics not $10k for a $10 feature, this is my biggest disappointment for this.

I have just got the MY nearly 2 weeks and nearly got in accident 3 times so far cause of no blind spot you have to look over shoulder or place blind spot mirror on the side view mirror ancient low tech way to get this paying $50k+ for a car and dont even get this very safety feature something is wrong, yes been told have to have FSD to get this another $10k to get this very safety feature something wrong to have a high tech green very safe car and dont even get the first normal big safety item like this, i love the car but come on at least provide the basics not $10k for a $10 feature, this is my biggest disappointment for this.
Please just sell the car and let someone else smarter and someone that actually knows how to drive a car own it. This whole run on sentence is WRONG.

-Almost getting in to accidents just because it "doesn't have blind spot monitoring" show that you are incompetent and shouldn't be driving. You are a danger to others on the road.
-All Teslas have blind spot monitoring, doesn't matter the trim.
-You don't use your blinkers and you are a danger to society. If you actually used the blinkers, the blind spot monitoring would be working.
-Just because you have blind spot monitoring doesn't mean you don't have to manually look at your blind spots. It's part of your driving test.
-You do not need FSD to get blind spot monitoring, make sure it's turned on in the settings but it might be too hard for you.
-STOP BRINGING BACK DEAD THREADS.

Please just sell the car and let someone else smarter and someone that actually knows how to drive a car own it. This whole run on sentence is WRONG.

-Almost getting in to accidents just because it "doesn't have blind spot monitoring" show that you are incompetent and shouldn't be driving. You are a danger to others on the road.
-All Teslas have blind spot monitoring, doesn't matter the trim.
-You don't use your blinkers and you are a danger to society. If you actually used the blinkers, the blind spot monitoring would be working.
-Just because you have blind spot monitoring doesn't mean you don't have to manually look at your blind spots. It's part of your driving test.
-You do not need FSD to get blind spot monitoring, make sure it's turned on in the settings but it might be too hard for you.
-STOP BRINGING BACK DEAD THREADS.

I agree with you that the post you are quoting is fairly "alarmist" ("almost getting into 3 accidents because of no blind spot monitoring" is either extreme exaggeration or evidence that the person making the statement needs to go back and see what they test for when you actually get a drivers license.)

With that being said, the post is skirting the line of being something I would have to moderate, even though I agree with you. I am not (thus, no "moderator note" on this post, just mentioning that it comes fairly close to being an argument about the person and not the post.