Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No blindspot warning on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ultrasonic sensors work but aren’t all that reliable. Compared with those on my Model S, I’d say the Model 3 sensors are probably 10-20% more reliable. I Dont believe the range of these sensors has improved by 2X from earlier models, which had limited range and only picked up vehicles already moving out of my blind spots.

Pg 74 in the manual does describe it as blind spot monitoring. It is in the Lane Assist section. I am not clear whether the steering wheel vibrates only with lane departure or is it also vibrates with an amber or red blind spot intrusion. I will test this on the way home tomorrow. We will have two cars to test it with.

John

If you need to look over your shoulder there is a chance that you are doing something wrong. You should adjust your mirrors so you don't see the rear of the car, or you barely see it. There is at least one thread about it: How do you adjust your side mirrors?
Since I adjusted the mirrors to do that I have never had the need to look over my shoulder, since when I can't see a car in the mirror anymore I will immediately see it in my peripheral vision, and I have tried it in different cars. I have always felt that the yellow warnings in the mirrors were useless (in cars that have that warning light).
This is not a solution to the warning, but it may help you feel safer without one.

Agree.

I truly embraced this method after driving the S for a while which does have some large blind spots without the mirrors adjusted properly. The 3 was a bit tougher to get used to due to the high rear end and the loss of visibility of folks close behind you at night, but it still works great.

I would not want it to make a noise whenever there's a car in my blind spot. I'd like it to make a noise if I signal a turn or lane change or if I start to drift towards a car in my blind spot or in the area I'm moving towards or signaling to move towards.

I'd like it to show a visual indication any time there's a car next to me or in my blind spot, but only make a noise if I take an action to move towards it (signaling or actually moving). The best visual would be to show it on the screen. Second-best would be a light on the side mirror and simultaneously on the screen.

I would not want it to make a noise whenever there's a car in my blind spot. I'd like it to make a noise if I signal a turn or lane change or if I start to drift towards a car in my blind spot or in the area I'm moving towards or signaling to move towards.

Yes, this is basically how the one's I've experienced work. They only audible alarm when you active the turn signal in direction of the "blind spot" vehicle. This works fine most of the time, except those dual left turn lanes, when your in the inside lane, and use your turn signal:confused:

There's no way for Tesla to add the little lights in the mirror now. They could introduce them at any time, but I don't think they prefer them.

That said, I would settle for adding wheel vibe and/or audio warning (ideally user selectable) that sounds IF you signal or move deep into the next lane when the sensors see a car. It would be a great solution for the car since it lacks the light hardware in the side mirrors....

3EC35E68-5BF9-4CA0-A757-7DA2A0FAB216.jpeg

The manual, Pg 73 Lane Assist (standard not AP), says it has BSD, but it shows arcs in varying colors (red close, orange, yellow, white) on the screen.

Does this exist?