Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Boombox for UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the Mercedes AMC sport is a great sounding car and is available with this download and sounds amazing and throaty,
I think that’s one amazing reason to want it,
The second is to help to stop a fatality, a delivery driver stepped off the back of his van and walked straight in front of me,
I had already slowed up as I could see exactly what he was going to do, work with ears and not eyes, when I was up close and beeped the horn he *sugar* himself and all his parcels went up in the air.
So there you go 2 good reasons to have a sound, so it’s not just a gimmick my fellow

Are you real making that post!!!
Well the Mercedes AMC sport is a great sounding car and is available with this download and sounds amazing and throaty,
I think that’s one amazing reason to want it,
The second is to help to stop a fatality, a delivery driver stepped off the back of his van and walked straight in front of me,
I had already slowed up as I could see exactly what he was going to do, work with ears and not eyes, when I was up close and beeped the horn he *sugar* himself and all his parcels went up in the air.
So there you go 2 good reasons to have a sound, so it’s not just a gimmick my fellow Numbty

It would be illegal in the UK to have novelty horns, anything other than a single continuous tone is only allowed for emergency services (plus an exception for Ice Cream vans). See The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (legislation.gov.uk)

The rules around AVAS noises come from EU regulations EUR-Lex - 32017R1576 - EN - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)

II.3. Sound type and volume​
(a)​
The sound to be generated by the AVAS shall be a continuous sound that provides information to the pedestrians and other road users of a vehicle in operation. The sound should be easily indicative of vehicle behaviour and should sound similar to the sound of a vehicle of the same category equipped with an internal combustion engine.​
(b)​
The sound to be generated by the AVAS shall be easily indicative of vehicle behaviour, for example, through the automatic variation of sound level or characteristics in synchronisation with vehicle speed.​
So the Boombox feature will simply not be allowed, and I expect that from July new Model 3s will have the same tones that the US had previously. Time will tell if Tesla will provide a retrofit, as far as I've heard all UK cars have the required wiring harness, just needs the speaker.
It’s only on when in PARK mode, otherwise it doesn’t work and the regular horn sound plays- you know - they’ve kinda figured that one out

Take a look yourself, turn your wheels to the left, open the front of the right front wheel arch by removing two push fittings and look in, you'll see the grill in the bottom, and a loose cable around somewhere. In the UK forum I've not seen anyone with a speaker fitted, or anyone without the cabling harness. People have tried plugging in speakers of their own, they get some noise briefly currently. Boombox does not appear, and for the reasons I posted above I'm sure will never appear.

Be assured it's good, old, blue passport, UK laws that prevent you having a novelty horn.
Black and gold passport not blue any longer.

Interestingly when on my test drive yesterday, in a Suburban st, 3 boys aged about 10 made the international signal to me of sound your horm, You know one made to truck drivers to sign your air horn. Being on a Test drive I was still finding indicators so unfortunately the kids were left disappointed. As for what sound they were expecting I have no idea

Thx, that's the same as in the US far as I can tell.

It's curious it's only when reversing.
I picked the car up new today, and it was made in the China factory and arrived in the UK a week ago. I didn’t expect it to make this reversing noise, and I can’t see anything yet to change it in the UI, but to be fair I’ve not been through the whole thing yet (too busy driving it!)

My MIC M3 LR delivered the n March does not make this sound. It does have speaker grille holes under the front drivers side bumper though.

I think I prefer no noise.

I hope I’m not forced to have a speaker fitted retrospectively to be compliant with this rule.