Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CA Sales Tax on cars driven out of state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that a state representative from Fremont has entered a bill into the state legislature that would allow an out-of-state buyer of a Tesla to take delivery of the car, get a temporary license paper plate and have up to 30 days to drive the car out of state without paying sales tax when they take delivery. I'm from AZ and would like to take delivery in CA, maybe get a tour and drive around for a week or so to make sure everything is working as it should. Then I would drive it to AZ and pay whatever taxes and registration fees that are necessary to get the vehicle licensed in AZ. Does anyone know the bill number and perhaps what the status of it is? It doesn't make any sense to me to pay sales tax twice. This would be a good thing for CA because otherwise the vehicle would be transported out of state and the state would lose whatever tourism money they might otherwise gain.

Most states will deduct what you pay in another state from their sales tax. Of course, if your state has lower taxes, then you lose the difference. Sorry I don't know the bill number.