TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No CA Sales Tax on cars driven out of state

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NRG4All, Jun 8, 2016.

1. NRG4All

NRG4All New Member

I understand that a state representative from Fremont has entered a bill into the state legislature that would allow an out-of-state buyer of a Tesla to take delivery of the car, get a temporary license paper plate and have up to 30 days to drive the car out of state without paying sales tax when they take delivery. I'm from AZ and would like to take delivery in CA, maybe get a tour and drive around for a week or so to make sure everything is working as it should. Then I would drive it to AZ and pay whatever taxes and registration fees that are necessary to get the vehicle licensed in AZ. Does anyone know the bill number and perhaps what the status of it is? It doesn't make any sense to me to pay sales tax twice. This would be a good thing for CA because otherwise the vehicle would be transported out of state and the state would lose whatever tourism money they might otherwise gain.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Most states will deduct what you pay in another state from their sales tax. Of course, if your state has lower taxes, then you lose the difference. Sorry I don't know the bill number.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

4. newtman

newtman Member

For all practical purposes the bill has been killed.

• Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  5. WhiteCap

WhiteCap Member

:( Any more information available on that?

• Dislike x 2
  6. newtman

newtman Member

My understanding is the progressive wing of the state legislature saw this as a handout to the 1%, and killed it to placate their base.

7. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

I tweeted Sen Wieckowski last week to ask why it was re-written but no reply :(

for who killed it we don;t know. In the Senate, it had 33 yea and 2 nay - one R & one D. What happened in the Assembly, we don't know since it wasn't voted on.