Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No camping in your car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recommend getting a SUV Tent. My wife and I went to Coachella this year and camped in the car with two other friends in the tent. We use this setup at RV Parks and campsites. Haven't had any issues with this setup.

From Coachella-
5C5CA506-A95C-42EA-8B7F-4FBC155C192F.JPG

Napier Tent-

I thought about getting a SUV tent.

I do have questions though:

• How tight is it against bugs getting in, especially in the area where the tent touches the car?
  • Can the tailgate close WHILE the tent is standing?
  • How easy is it to attach and dethatch the car from the tent without packing the tent? Say we want to stay at one place for a week, so we could end up attaching and dethatching quite a bit.

Thanks much!

Reactions: Physicslawyer
I thought about getting a SUV tent.

I do have questions though:

• How tight is it against bugs getting in, especially in the area where the tent touches the car?
  • Can the tailgate close WHILE the tent is standing?
  • How easy is it to attach and dethatch the car from the tent without packing the tent? Say we want to stay at one place for a week, so we could end up attaching and dethatching quite a bit.

Thanks much!

1. I use magnets to close the gaps and make it air tight against the bugs.
  2. Yes, we closed the trunk when we're sleeping in the car. You can even use the tent separately, the tailgate portion can zip up.
  3. It's pretty easy. Takes me five mins or less to do it now. I take the magnets off, take off the front straps off, wheel straps off, unplug charger, and then zip up tailgate portion. And I usually bring duct tape with me to mark my wheel position so I can easily set it back up when we return to camp. The trick is to backup to the tent as close as you can and have the bottom black bumper push the tent in a little bit. You'll have less gaps when you put the tailgate portion over the car.

Here's a view of the inside of our tent from our recent trip to Redwood National Park-

Last edited:
I recommend getting a SUV Tent. My wife and I went to Coachella this year and camped in the car with two other friends in the tent. We use this setup at RV Parks and campsites. Haven't had any issues with this setup.
the various SUV tents look really attractive for big camp sites, where you have a big group. But I've also been to many where you don't have an outsized flat area where the car goes, so not sure how much usage I'd actually get.

the various SUV tents look really attractive for big camp sites, where you have a big group. But I've also been to many where you don't have an outsized flat area where the car goes, so not sure how much usage I'd actually get.

In terms of music festivals, 30' x 10' is pretty standard for camp sites. At least the ones we've been to. The car with our tent is about 22' combined in length and 10' in width. The tent is 10' x 10' by itself. We still had plenty of space to use for a beer pong table, solar panels, or sitting area after the setup on site.

For state or national parks, we usually find a rv camp near by the park entrance. Pull through or backup sites. Lots of space left after setup. I can see what you mean with certain campsites though, especially inside the parks with tent only spaces.

Last edited:
Many sites have both RV and Tent sites. People with Tent sites need to sleep in their tents. Those in RV sites must either sleep in their rigs or in an approved tent. Each campground may have their own rules.
the actual need is a bit fuzzy here. Why does the RV need an approved tent? And when does the tent side need a tent? You're paying for the space, and for the bathroom facilities and where you sleep seems irrelevant.

either they're backward/ignorant or jealous.
I was wondering if this was some form of discrimination. There were cars parked with no tents.

The Tesla? That they sent the golf cart brigade after. I was looking for a spot. They didn't know if I had a tent or not, they were literally following me every way I went, and then proactively yelled at me for:
(1) attempting to park on a tent pad (which I did not do or look like I was doing)
(2) drive down a place that was not a road (didn't do that either)

I have not heard back from the promoter.

If you plan on sleeping in your Tesla, ask ahead of time to see if this is permitted. I wouldn't want anyone to be surprised like we were.

Last edited:
All of the vans are allowed.

They would not permit a canopy, it has to be a tent.

We drove home. I was so annoyed yesterday. We have a tent in the garage we could bring, but I don't want to give them two cents or stay there. They had some major power trips. I feel bad for them, since they enjoyed ordering me around as much as they did.

One of the guys actually works for the promoter of the event, and not the location. I spoke with the daughter of the promoter last night. She told me we could stay in the Tesla and it would not be an issue. She then went to tell me about everyone who stays in their cars and how some of them use drugs/get drunk. I explained the interaction, and she said golf cart guy works for her dad. I left my name and contact info, so hopefully they will speak with "Mr. Never Come Back." The mean woman patrolling I believe works for the location.

I want to know how much we would have been bothered had this not been a Tesla? I once had an older woman go off on me about "you think you are so special," when I got out of my Vette, that I had parked away from the other cars. Nobody says anything when I'm driving the Prius.

I just did some job testing for a new position I am trying to move up to... one of the other guys testing saw me getting out of the MYP and in the testing room asked how I liked my coal powered car... I burst his bubble real quick when I told him I currently (gasp of horror from the TMC crowd) work at a coal fired power plant.

He then asked why EV drivers don't put a generator on one of the wheels to charge up the battery instead of plugging in the car... most of the guys in the room agreed with him and thought I was lying when I said perpetual motion machine's don't work. I realized right then that there was only one guy out of the five in the room that was competition for me for this position. This was a series of tests with four hours of time given for completing them... perpetual motion boy tapped out after 15 min, and 3 of the others only lasted an hour or so... the only guy that didn't jump on the perpetual motion band wagon was the only one still there three and a half hours later when I turned in my tests. I hope that they have two positions available :)

Keith

I just did some job testing for a new position I am trying to move up to... one of the other guys testing saw me getting out of the MYP and in the testing room asked how I liked my coal powered car... I burst his bubble real quick when I told him I currently (gasp of horror from the TMC crowd) work at a coal fired power plant.

He then asked why EV drivers don't put a generator on one of the wheels to charge up the battery instead of plugging in the car... most of the guys in the room agreed with him and thought I was lying when I said perpetual motion machine's don't work. I realized right then that there was only one guy out of the five in the room that was competition for me for this position. This was a series of tests with four hours of time given for completing them... perpetual motion boy tapped out after 15 min, and 3 of the others only lasted an hour or so... the only guy that didn't jump on the perpetual motion band wagon was the only one still there three and a half hours later when I turned in my tests. I hope that they have two positions available :)

Keith
And you want to work with those morons?!

And you want to work with those morons?!
The guys that don't pass are not the ones I would be working with... thank all that is good in the universe for that one! It isn't like I work with rocket scientists right now... I have at least one flat earther in the group, but I am not 100% sure he isn't just f'ing with people.

Keith

Keith
Every time somebody gives me the make a wheel or two a generator so you can self-charge as your go and never need to connect up to charge spiel, I tell them I will look into that as soon as my credit card cash back is enough to pay off my credit card bill every month. Then they shut up about it.