Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No camping in your car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you afraid grass will ruin your wheels?
I was concerned I would get stuck. We did not get stuck.

Day 1 camping in a Tesla. I can't fall asleep, but it feels like my bed at home. The snoring next to me took five minutes. It fits perfectly. This is the mattress:

Milliard Tri Folding Memory Foam Mattress with Washable Cover Twin XL (78 inches x 38 inches x 6 inches)​

1. Milliard Tri Folding Memory Foam Mattress with Washable Cover Twin XL (78 inches x 38 inches x 6 inches)
  2. Amazon.com

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
  1. I use magnets to close the gaps and make it air tight against the bugs.
  2. Yes, we closed the trunk when we're sleeping in the car. You can even use the tent separately, the tailgate portion can zip up.
  3. It's pretty easy. Takes me five mins or less to do it now. I take the magnets off, take off the front straps off, wheel straps off, unplug charger, and then zip up tailgate portion. And I usually bring duct tape with me to mark my wheel position so I can easily set it back up when we return to camp. The trick is to backup to the tent as close as you can and have the bottom black bumper push the tent in a little bit. You'll have less gaps when you put the tailgate portion over the car.

Here's a view of the inside of our tent from our recent trip to Redwood National Park-

Thank you for the details.

One clarification question - what happens when you close your hatch while the tent is fully hooked to the car? Does it stay bug tight, and stay standing without looking ridiculous from outside?

In other words, while the tent is attached, can we both sleep inside the car with the tailgate closed, but easily get out using the tailgate in the morning directly into the tent without bugs?

Reactions: Physicslawyer
I had it in my head it would be fun. I like camping, but my husband is done with tents, so I thought maybe this would work. He wants an RV. I'm waiting for a Cybertruck and an Airstream. I was looking at possibly a Cayenne, but I don't want to start with Porsche maintenance again (the current Porsche we have has everything wrong with it at 5k miles, it's a classic, but still).

While staying in the Tesla, my husband moved and took up 3/4 of the space. I slept for two hours. We spent the night at a Cracker Barrel. I can cross that off of the list now. Yes, we can afford a hotel. :)

We have been staying at hotels for the past seven years instead of camping, so this was the solution he would go along with. He slept fine though and wants to do it again next year! Hah. Maybe this would work better in an X.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and outdoors
call me old fashioned but never understood the sleeping in the Tesla thing, easier to get a hotel, i don’t think People do it to save money, I would think most that own a Tesla have their finances somewhat in order…again maybe I’m just old school 🫡
We do it because we love short camping trips but don’t enjoy setting up a tent for just one or two nights. This is much more convenient and comfortable to sleep with climate control running all night. We got the exped megamat for Tesla and it’s perfect for us.

Slept 30 or so days in my 3. Solo. My wife and kids wanted nothing to do with it. Traveled all over the West. Backpacking. Staying in BLM, NF, KOA etc..swimming in lakes and rivers.

That was 2018. People must be different these days. I came across one place that had tent restrictions, and I didn't need to charge so I wouldn't rent an RV site. They asked if I was going to run a generator all night to charge my car.😆 I just didn't know how to respond other than to say I think its a cool night, and I might just sleep with the windows down or on the picnic table if it's not a problem.

I as well can afford to stay in hotels, but my time checking in and out usually only affords me about 4 to 5 hours. Not really worth it. Charge a little extra at a supercharger. Tuck it off in the woods. Make it back in the am.

From this story sounds like the golf cart guy just doesn't like Tesla's. Which is a shame. They are really nice cars that often have really nice people in them.

I thought about getting a SUV tent.

I do have questions though:

• How tight is it against bugs getting in, especially in the area where the tent touches the car?
  • Can the tailgate close WHILE the tent is standing?
  • How easy is it to attach and dethatch the car from the tent without packing the tent? Say we want to stay at one place for a week, so we could end up attaching and dethatching quite a bit.

Thanks much!

I have a SUV tent as well, that I've used a few times with my model S. You can sorta make out that the hatch is open in the photo, it can close without disconnecting the tent. The tunnel has an internal door can be zipped closed on the tent end so you don't see the car, or can be fully open to the car "bedroom".

There are four hook straps that are pulling the fabric against the car, they don't make it fully bug-tight but there's ample loose fabric that rests against the car to close off most gaps. You can sleep in the hatch area, or I've also used the hatch as a big closet, less stuff to unload and re-load, and frees up the tent floor for sleeping and moving around. If you unhook the straps you can also drive the car away without disturbing the tent - if you use the hatch as closet, your valuables also conveniently stay locked in the car with you during day excursions rather than unattended at the campsite.

tent.jpg

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 150
Thank you for the details.

One clarification question - what happens when you close your hatch while the tent is fully hooked to the car? Does it stay bug tight, and stay standing without looking ridiculous from outside?

In other words, while the tent is attached, can we both sleep inside the car with the tailgate closed, but easily get out using the tailgate in the morning directly into the tent without bugs?
yes, the tailgate part remains pretty bug tight and doesn't look ridiculous as long as you have the front straps strapped in properly. The tailgate is elastic so it hugs the sides when you close the trunk.

You can sleep inside the car with the tailgate closed.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
We are empty nesters too. We want to travel down south/west during the winter, but don't want to pay 3-4 months worth of hotel cost every year. Don't want to buy a small property there and stay at one place all the time either. RVs are now out of question due to high fuel cost (in addition to already high total ownership cost). We want to stay at camp sites (with or without electricity), and charge mostly there on either 30A or 50A sites. Hike or visit interesting places during the day. We can do this without spending a fortune.

We have experimented couple of times in our current setup and we found sleeping in the Y quite nice. We too are done with tent camping for many reasons. Feels so much comfier and more secure than sleeping in a tent, and we went through MANY in our lives.

We are cautiously looking forward to the next 10-years of our lives during the winter! 😄

My mother keeps telling me that we should experience everything we want, while our health still permit these activities. I think she is right. Health declines surprisingly fast once you hit a certain age.

Depending on the mattress, there are gaps on the side. The mattress I bought was comfortable, but missed some space on the side, which is what my husband said made him move over. He was not aware how much and said I could have poked him (I didn't want to disturb him).

For those of you thinking about the camping option, we are 5'5"/120 and 5'11"/175 and it was "cozy." Lay in the back and see if you fit before trying this.

I was looking at campgrounds, and they can be $75-$90 for 30 amp or 50 amp service, so I don't know how much you would save compared to a hotel. You could stay at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Bass Pro Shop and similar for free.

Depending on the mattress, there are gaps on the side. The mattress I bought was comfortable, but missed some space on the side, which is what my husband said made him move over. He was not aware how much and said I could have poked him (I didn't want to disturb him).

For those of you thinking about the camping option, we are 5'5"/120 and 5'11"/175 and it was "cozy." Lay in the back and see if you fit before trying this.

I was looking at campgrounds, and they can be $75-$90 for 30 amp or 50 amp service, so I don't know how much you would save compared to a hotel. You could stay at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Bass Pro Shop and similar for free.
Our setup kinda compromises feet space to gain more shoulder space, as you can see here...

20220428_135535.jpg

This mattress tightly fills the shoulder room and head room area. My cell doesn't fall off between the mattress and the doors, nor between the front seat back and the mattress.

I thought about getting the TXY version but decided to get this instead because it was wider at the top.

As you can see, we use two full size pillows that we normally use at home and the usable width of this sleeping area is just about the same as a double bed, at least near the head and shoulder area.

call me old fashioned but never understood the sleeping in the Tesla thing, easier to get a hotel, i don’t think People do it to save money, I would think most that own a Tesla have their finances somewhat in order…again maybe I’m just old school 🫡
I agree to a certain point. I certainly prefer a comfortable mattress, tv + remote, chair/couch, and a hot shower over ever sleeping in my car for any reason. That said I can think of a few occasions where I would give a try. Primarily on an extremely long-distance trip where I'm still in a rush.. but need to stop & charge & rest.. I would love the ability to park the car, plug in and get 3-4 hours of sleep before continuing to drive. And I think it would something fun to do once or twice with my wife or kids.. (definitely not everybody sleeping in the car at the same time) at an actual campsite. I would want the same setup others did here where they attached a tent to the car so that everyone in the tent could enjoy sharing the car's HVAC system.

We will see if either of the above scenarios ever happens. But chances are I will purchase a blow-up or air-filled mattress for my car at some point just in case it does happen.

AGREED!! We gave up on camping, or even staying at relatives' houses. A motel is made for one-night stays, and you don't even have to make the bed in the morning, while often they even provide breakfast. And to say that "It's cheaper" is really cheap, especially when you drive a $50,000 to $100,000 car. If you add in the fun of trying to set up or take down in a rainstorm, it completes your trip. I'll take a motel any day.

AGREED!! We gave up on camping, or even staying at relatives' houses. A motel is made for one-night stays, and you don't even have to make the bed in the morning, while often they even provide breakfast. And to say that "It's cheaper" is really cheap, especially when you drive a $50,000 to $100,000 car. If you add in the fun of trying to set up or take down in a rainstorm, it completes your trip. I'll take a motel any day.
Yeah and my wife wouldn’t be sold on pissing in the woods or by the car to save 30$ on a hotel room. Heck you can rent an air BNB house for 60. Locking my wife in the trunk is not my idea of adventure.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl