Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No can drive: "the electrical system is unable to support all features"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to hear any ideas about why our Model 3 won't drive. Two error messages:

"The electrical system is unable to support all features. Shutting down features to conserve energy"
and...
"Please wait while vehicle systems power up. Press brake pedal for 30 seconds to drive"

Welp, pressing the brake for 30, 60, 90 seconds does not help. Heck holding it for 20 minutes doesn't help.

Other things we tried: Reset with the click wheels, reset with the click wheels + brake, power down from the security menu, install the software update.

It's a 2020 Model 3 long range with 6,000 miles and an 85 percent charge.

Made a service appointment but it is three weeks away.

Any ideas would be welcome!

😄 Sure thing. Why would a car this advanced have a way to check that without popping the hood and poking it with wires?
to troubleshoot, start at the source. if the battery at its posts is not 12v, that's problem 1. is there a low-z leak (to gnd) somewhere? higher than normal drain? or even just a loose connection from the battery posts? (I have not ever looked at mine, but on regular cars, yes, it is something simple and can be checked).

on a new car, should not happen, but you dont troubleshoot things that work, only things that dont work. so get to work! ;) surely you have a voltmeter somewhere, with a 20v dc range?

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I'd like to be sympathetic, but several red flags popped up. A new member, with some kind of major problem, and reporting error messages that are completely unlike the wording typically used for these kinds of problems. Maybe there's some paraphrasing going on? I've never heard
"The electrical system is unable to support all features. Shutting down features to conserve energy"
and...
"Please wait while vehicle systems power up. Press brake pedal for 30 seconds to drive" as being error messages that tesla uses. Perhaps these are just hat the OP remembers, and the actual messages were different. And roadside assistance calls going to voicemail? I've never heard of that before.

Anyway, I'd vouch for the 12v battery being the culprit as others have. Weird things happen right before it goes out.

Upvote 0
I Googled the phrase "the electrical system is unable to support all features" and besides this thread, found this:

Same for "please wait while vehicle systems power up" and found this:

And finally, "press brake pedal for 30 seconds to drive" and this was a hit:

Upvote 0
1628222065344.png

Upvote 0
I Googled the phrase "the electrical system is unable to support all features" and besides this thread, found this:

Ray, thanks for your help in convincing Mr. Duck that I am indeed not a troll. I was away from this thread, dealing with this problem.

I've attached the pics of the error messages. I think I added the word "the" but otherwise my transcription was pretty accurate!

I'll post the resolution, when I have it, to this thread for any future users who search these error messages. Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_2037.jpg
    IMG_2037.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0

Yeah, from that reddit thread, it was a dead or defective 12V, so as others already guessed was most likely the issue. In that thread, people suggested driving straight to an SC without an appointment, but not sure if OP's car is drive-able. If it's a 12V swap, that should be a fairly quick fix (presuming the SC has it in stock).

Upvote 0
Man this makes me want to upgrade my 12v to the MPP lithium.
Are the OEM 12v that garbage?

The OEM one costs $85 for the part, and $129 out the door if you pay for tesla mobile service to come to your house and change it because you dont want to do it yourself (like me). The MPP battery looks like its $660. The ohmmu battery looks like its $439.

If you simply preemptively pay for a tesla battery every 2 years, which would likely be on the short side, but lets go with it, you can either do that almost 4 times (8 years) before you get to the cost of an Ohmmu, or 5 times (10 years) before you get to the cost of the MPP, and thats with tesla changing it for you at your home, vs doing it yourself, like the ohmmu and MPP.

Assuming anyone who is willing to put in an ohmmu or mpp battery themselves is also willing to put in the tesla OEM battery every 2 years themselves (for $85 which is the cost of the part), then you are looking at 5 times for the ohmmu (10 years) or 7 times for the MPP (14 years).

TL ; DR , you need to be changing to those batteries for something other than cost, because you are looking at 10 years (ohmmu) or 14 years (mpp) break even point on those batteries, assuming those batteries last 10 years or 14 years respectively, and you have the car that long.

There are other reasons someone might want those batteries, but there isnt any way that they come out cheaper than simply buying the tesla one, even over the long term.

Upvote 0