Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No car can be perfect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us not pretend there is a moral/ethical factor in the equation --- Tesla will only deliver you a car if you pay a very hefty fee (when compared to the competitors)
There is a moral imperative to reduce footprint and drastically reduce CO2 emissions.
Perfection is not how the world works, satisficing is.

Reactions: Stirfelt and DR61
If so, we'd be happy to arrange a meeting and a drive. I'm willing to bet that a few minutes in the canyons will open your eyes. It's a stellar car; I'd hate to see you miss out on the fun! :)

A very kind and generous offer, and thank you for that. Geography is working against this opportunity as neither of our residences are anywhere near you, and we're in the midwest for the Summer. Therefore, I must respectfully and regretfully decline an offer I would otherwise most certainly find interesting and enjoyable!

The people whining about Tesla quality whine about everything in their daily life, guaranteed.

It's entertaining to see someone post as if they have all the data and knowledge of those inside Tesla that designed the car while in reality having zero. Internet smart guys.

The good news is that there are more than enough people that are not like this that will happily drive their Tesla without getting out a micro meter to measure gaps.

Why do these whiners hang around on the net making it their mission to talk down Tesla? Great, you could build a better car and do everything flawlessly, go start an EV company and reap the billions. Oh wait....

No car "can" or "is" perfect. In reality, nothing is "perfect."

Perfection has so many variables. Rattles drive me crazy .... so that is high son my perfection list. Obviously, performance is high on others list, whereas that is low on my list. To anyone complaining about Tesla's lack of perfection .... how was your last car? I'd guess it wasn't perfect either. On the other hand, my most recent purchases .... Prius, Avalon, CRV have been perfect in my view. Comfortable, economical, quiet, problem free ..... and absolutely no maintenance issues.

Because its the phenomenon called "the Internets". There are plenty of people who take this car with flaws and just don't care. The picky ones come here to voice their opinions on what they perceive is wrong. Nothing wrong with that at all, that's what the forums are for. It's just people who are observing have to stay objective when reading all this.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Because its the phenomenon called "the Internets". There are plenty of people who take this car with flaws and just don't care. The picky ones come here to voice their opinions on what they perceive is wrong. Nothing wrong with that at all, that's what the forums are for. It's just people who are observing have to stay objective when reading all this.
Very well said, Sir!

I am one of those picky ones (with tons of recurring and/or new issues created by service centers having a steep learning curve on how or what to fix on these Model 3s), but at the same time i'm still open and pleased to hear those with great experiences/no issues.
Actually soothing to see some people can just enjoy their car and be happy without being overly OCD like myself :D
All in all, life is good.. ;)

No one is expecting perfection, but tesla made a lot of unforced errors on the model 3. Like skipping the soft tooling phase, getting rid of the reliable fob and replacing it with the unreliable phone key, or the emergency door release handle location, or telling people that the $35k version would be available early on...

Reactions: m34me
I don't think anyone is wrong with there opinion on this matter here; some of my thoughts:

Every car has issues. my coworker just picked up a brand new Lexus, and it halted and threw a ton of warning signs in the parking lot right after picking it up from the dealership. It had to be taken back to the dealership and repaired. The difference is; if the car were a Tesla, there would be a giant Reddit thread covering the issue; with hundreds of comments and a news article about how Tesla is selling lemons.

That said;
I will admit that I'm kind-of glad I'm far back enough on the list due to waiting for dual motor; that I'll probably have more refined car than the first ones off the assembly line. I feel like everyone was aware that those very very first cars might be a little rough around the edges, especially the employee cars.

Complaining about the feature-set is strange to me; the 3 already has an extensive feature set greater than any other car out there except S and X; and anything that is missing will likely be added at some point in the future. You can't really say that about any other cars. You should buy a car for its existing feature set though.

Still hoping for promised features of wifi / baked-in dashcam / improved usb music interface / chademo to be available by the time I pick up my car.

Look --- Tesla decided to jump into an industry with established giants: Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Audi, etc

This is the territory of the giants

Tesla made big claims, and criticized the giants......Elon said he would beat them at their own game

Are we, the consumer, expected to measure Tesla's performance on a different scale?

It's not like Tesla is a non-profit, charity organization.....Tesla's valuation is near/same to General Motors, and Elon Musk is a billionaire....

Let us not pretend there is a moral/ethical factor in the equation --- Tesla will only deliver you a car if you pay a very hefty fee (when compared to the competitors)

This has always been, and will always be, about the money

I have no problem with this --- but at the same time --- I will measure Telsa's products on the same scale as its competition --- which is Ford, Toyota, Honda, Audi, BMW, etc

No one gave Hyundai or KIA the benefit of the doubt --- they toughed it out and made it work --- and now look at them!!
But look at it this way, the competition has been building cars for decades, some close to a century or more. Hyundai and KIA having been around in the US for 25-30 years. Tesla has been building their own cars (not counting the Roadster) for 6 to 7 years. No matter how you look at it, in my opinion it is not an apples to apples comparison (or whatever fruit you want to use :p).

As an automotive engineer myself and perfectionist, it is annoying and frustrating for me on some of the dumb designs and quality issues that continue to be a topic of discussion. Especially for the price of the car you are buying. Yes, it ultimately is still a business with shareholders and is about the money. But I truly believe Elon has much greater motives. He could surely be doing more lucrative and less stressful ventures if he chose to.