Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CarPlay is a deal breaker. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just in Vegas for CES. I was shocked to ride in a few Uber Teslas when I saw an iPhone, and even iPad, connected via a windshield or other mount.
What a way to ruin that minimalist design!
How can you drive without Waze, or the rest of the Apple, or Android Auto apps?

I don’t understand how a Tesla can be considered “high tech” when every car has ACP and AA.
Why do you fans put up with it? Why won’t Elon add it?
Wow.

I was just in Vegas for CES. I was shocked to ride in a few Uber Teslas when I saw an iPhone, and even iPad, connected via a windshield or other mount.

I don’t understand how a Tesla can be considered “high tech” when every car has ACP and AA.
Wow.
I know. Unbelievable. The TSLAQ people keep trying to short the stock because Tesla is really such a train wreck of a company. Hasn't worked out so well to date.

Wow.
ACP and AA are more or less "proprietary screen casting" with some enhancements to the UI for usability in the particular situation. Which is probably not "high tech". For most ordinary users, ACP and AA are great enhancements if their cars do not have native music (the one of their choice), navigation or phone call functionalities. Otherwise ACP and AA will just add more inconvenience and confusion (for example, when you press a voice command button, it could either be the car's built in voice recognition or Siri/Google depending on whether you have plugged your phone and whether you opened the ACP/AA app on the car's infortainment system).

This is definitely a "get the conversation going" type of post.

1. Find a topic that may generate conversation (Carplay / Android auto) --- Check
2. Make comment about how amazing it is that X is not included ---Check
3. Throw in an insult to get passionate tesla fans engaged --- check
4. Mention "elon". --- check

Bonus points for long membership but extremely low post count (anyone looking into tesla since 2019 would absolutely know that they did not have carplay / android auto, its impossible to just now find this out if you were looking at the cars (and giving PPF advice on them) in 2019).

I thought I would miss CarPlay after having in my Audi before buying my Model 3. But I don't because Tesla's integrated navigation is more convenient for finding Superchargers and preparing my car's battery for charging.

I only miss having Apple Music available on the Tesla screen, and the ability to use Tesla voice commands to summon an Apple Music playlist.

Meanwhile, my workaround is to bluetooth stream music from my iPhone to my Tesla. I can summon playlists using Siri on my iPhone or Apple Watch.

The user interface is so central to the driver experience. I think it feeble that the vast majority of automakers can’t do something compelling themselves. Outsourcing a material portion of the driver/owner experience doesn’t seem to me a long-term dominant strategy. It’s a Trojan horse for ACP/AA to ease the transition of a large population of drivers to their own proprietary products longer-term.

I use the Bluetooth connection to play podcasts, but otherwise the only app I miss having handy is Waze for police siting.

When I first stated looking at Tesla a year ago I felt the same as the OP. It seemed to me that ACP and AA had become the de facto standards for car multimedia interfacing. In fact, I suppose this is true even more so today. I could not understand why Tesla eschewed this established and well liked interface in favor of its own design. I thought it was pretty stupid actually. However, after 6 months of driving my Model Y I can honestly say I do not miss ACP in the least. Even if it were available I wouldn’t use it at this point. However, I think it would be nice if it were available for those who prefer it.

Reactions: K5TRX
When I first stated looking at Tesla a year ago I felt the same as the OP. It seemed to me that ACP and AA had become the de facto standards for car multimedia interfacing. In fact, I suppose this is true even more so today. I could not understand why Tesla eschewed this established and well liked interface in favor of its own design. I thought it was pretty stupid actually. However, after 6 months of driving my Model Y I can honestly say I do not miss ACP in the least. Even if it were available I wouldn’t use it at this point. However, I think it would be nice if it were available for those who prefer it.
Elon doesn’t like to pay anybody for anything that they can do themselves. E.G., that great auto-wiper sensor.

We just finished a 2,900 mi trip in our month-old Model Y. I almost posted something similar - but in my case it would have been about the incredulousness of not having Android Auto. But....

I can see how the system as implemented is "better". BUT.........

The hands-free texting is horrible relative Android Auto. And also lack of integration with Google Assistant.

In most cases in this world "Standard is better than better."

Pretty easily. I don’t miss any of that stuff.

Your profile says you’ve been a member here for more than 2 years. Even without being an owner, I’m surprised you didn’t know about the lack of Waze, CarPlay, and AA until now.
I agree. I loved CarPlay before my 2018 Model 3. After 3 years of Tesla, I hate CarPlay now in my wife’s 2019 Chevy. It is so brain dead stupid. And I’m constantly flipping screens. The overview screen, everything is to small.

I do have a USB drive of music and signed up for both streaming services. Plenty enough to work with in the Tesla. I wouldn’t mind if they added Pandora.

Reactions: K5TRX and impastu
The user interface is so central to the driver experience. I think it feeble that the vast majority of automakers can’t do something compelling themselves. Outsourcing a material portion of the driver/owner experience doesn’t seem to me a long-term dominant strategy. It’s a Trojan horse for ACP/AA to ease the transition of a large population of drivers to their own proprietary products longer-term.

I use the Bluetooth connection to play podcasts, but otherwise the only app I miss having handy is Waze for police siting.
If only my Tesla had an App Store so I could buy an app like Waze.

Wow.
You have a valid point. Here's my thoughts. Others may think differently.

I had CarPlay in my previous car which was a Volvo. Not much changed with their infotainment system since owning that car. CarPlay was nice since it allowed you to control apps and access content without waiting on a car manufacture. For example, I could listen to PodCasts with the apple app. Could also use Amazon Music (which was a free choice with Prime)

Forwarding to today, I no longer own that Volvo and have a Tesla Y. I can say I don't really miss CarPlay. The UI in the Tesla works great and I have no issues. My go to app in the Tesla is Spotify. It has music and PodCasts. With CarPlay I had constant issues with the music not working as expected. Would sometimes have volume issues with calls (right after a text message would come in). Would have to unplug and re-plug in to get it to work. Also, I didn't like the fact that I had redundant apps. For example, the car had a navigation system and I could use the maps app on the phone. The phone mapping app did not integrate with the Heads Up system nor pass along its destination to the car's own mapping. Tesla navigation is very good. It's quick to use and it can be accessed via voice control.

On the downside of Tesla, their infomtrainment is limited. You have Spotify and a few other music apps you can use. AudioBooks needs to be played and controlled via bluetooth. Wish it had Audible as a built in app. With Version 11, I have noticed improvements to the sound quality. Not sure if this is due to an increase in bitrate, or tuning of the EQ levels. My Volvo had the $3000 sound upgrade. The Tesla sound system is on par with what I had with Volvo.

Overall, my biggest gripe with other car manufactures is when you buy the car the software never gets updated. The Volvo screen was slow on start up. For example, you could not immediately control heating if the car had been off for sometime. You had to wait a few minutes for the software to start. Imaging buying a cell phone and keeping it for 5 years with no improvements to the UI or newly added apps. This is how I felt about my Volvo. CarPlay was available, but it seems to be something Volvo added also they didn't need to improve their own UI.