Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CarPlay is a deal breaker. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why CarPlay is never coming to Tesla. Apple doesn’t want their services in a Tesla as much as Tesla doesn’t want Apple’s services. They’re both thinking long term competitively.

It has nothing to do with whether Apple wants their services on a Tesla. The CarPlay API is open to any developer that wants to use it. If Tesla wanted to implement it they could. The fact that Apple may be developing their own car doesn't put Tesla in any different company than BMW, Toyota, Ford or Nissan.

Completely agree...

Maybe it's "closed" but the nice thing with the Apple CarPlay is that I don't HAVE to use it. I can always just use the system provided by the car manufacturer. I.e., it's OPTIONAL.

With the Tesla system, I'm FORCED to use theirs, even if it's obviously worse than the systems provided by other companies.

Personally, I don't understand anybody arguing against having an OPTIONAL system added to the car. If you decide you don't like Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze, then you are free to use the incredibly awful Tesla nav system. I guess some people like missing turns, getting stuck in needless traffic, being pulled over by police officers looking to make their quota, and hitting random stuff/potholes in the road.
Completely agree. In general, I've found Tesla's Nav system to be as good as Google or Apple Maps. The latter have the advantage of having traffic information included without paying extra. Apps like A Better Route Planner show other charging stations besides superchargers. Waze does a better job of crowdsourcing traffic info. Of course Tesla's nav system is the only one that will work with autopilot, so that's Tesla's Ace in the Hole.

I've never used Spotify. I subscribe to Apple Music and have playlists and favorites there - why should I pay for another service to do the same thing?

like you said, it's about having the option to use it. I think TuneIn is a pile of crap, but if you like it great. Just don't keep me from using something better.

It has nothing to do with whether Apple wants their services on a Tesla. The CarPlay API is open to any developer that wants to use it. If Tesla wanted to implement it they could. The fact that Apple may be developing their own car doesn't put Tesla in any different company than BMW, Toyota, Ford or Nissan.
There are two OS’s for phones. Android and Apple. There will only be two maybe three OS’s for cars. Tesla is fighting to be one of those OS’s. They have already said they are open to licensing their technology to other cars. They are in direct competition with Apple and maybe Android auto since they have partnered with Polestar. No other OEM will have their own OS.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu and rjpjnk

Attachments

• AAB9E2ED-2E95-4841-BD2B-D4FCEBEDCA04.jpeg
    AAB9E2ED-2E95-4841-BD2B-D4FCEBEDCA04.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 125
Yep, Tesla will ultimately be a services company in the future. Just like Apple. Tesla App Store will be crucial when people hail Tesla taxis. People have their own account so when they get into their autonomous Tesla they hailed all of their apps and shows/movies/games load right up
While we dream of robo taxis, can I please get a safe way to play audiobooks, and a podcast app that can remember the playback position?

Reactions: sleepydoc
While we dream of robo taxis, can I please get a safe way to play audiobooks, and a podcast app that can remember the playback position?
Use your phone connected via Bluetooth like literally any other car? You even get playback controls on the screen. What are you missing that android auto or CarPlay would give you? I really don’t get all this clamoring for a shitty 8” but compressed version of your phone’s own screen. AA and Carplay are a crutch for other cars’ terrible infotainment UIs. With Tesla you get the best of both worlds. Mount your phone so it’s visible, or just use the wireless charging pads if you prefer your phone.

Reactions: FFR6288
I must be one of the few who hasn’t/ doesn’t use any of the aforementioned media playing lol. Never even heard of Waze, never used Apple or Google maps either. I’m just happy to listen to a radio show, I will confess to going premium of Spotify now though, mainly because I haven’t sat down and sussed out if I can stream my phone music without annoying wires everywhere lol
I’d suggest trying Waze. It’s traffic routing and directions are far superior to what Tesla has.

Use your phone connected via Bluetooth like literally any other car? You even get playback controls on the screen. What are you missing that android auto or CarPlay would give you?

* Today I was listening to Audible. Wanted to pause it. Only way to do so was to look down at the phone on the wireless charging pad....way too low to be safe while driving.
* Yesterday I sent a text that said "Text <my wife's name>" to the neighbor I had texted with before I got in the car. Why? Because Tesla doesn't give any indication whatsoever where one is in the text composition process. The driver just has to know the sequence.

With Android Auto I'd be able to:
* Start/Stop Audible with virtually no visual distraction from driving. Yes - it was on a crappy, low res screen with terrible touch response. But way better than trying to manipulate the phone screen when it's on the charging pad.
* AA would walk me through the texting process, including reading the composed-but-unsent text to me to get my confirmation it was right. It really is as if there is an assistant sitting in the passenger seat.

AA was not, by any means, the bees knees. It was, however, orders of magnitude better than what is in the Tesla today.

For me, an additional baffling part of not having these technologies is Musk has said he's willing to open source car technology. Obviously he needs to have areas where Tesla can differentiate to keep their hardware competitive. But with the jump Tesla has, at the very least, on batteries and charging infrastructure, I would think he wouldn't have a care in the world of Apple catching up in the EV space. I don't understand the economics of CarPlay and AndroidAuto, but I would think he could get it for free.....that Apple would LOVE to be in the Tesla platform.

Last edited:
Use your phone connected via Bluetooth like literally any other car? You even get playback controls on the screen. What are you missing that android auto or CarPlay would give you? I really don’t get all this clamoring for a shitty 8” but compressed version of your phone’s own screen. AA and Carplay are a crutch for other cars’ terrible infotainment UIs. With Tesla you get the best of both worlds. Mount your phone so it’s visible, or just use the wireless charging pads if you prefer your phone.
Just go to the threads about V11 to hear about Tesla’s terrible infotainment UI.

There is a reason why many of us run Waze while also running the Tesla nav and I certainly don’t view it as getting the best of both worlds.

Well, for starters, Tesla's BT integration sucks. Have you actually used it?

I could write several paragraphs but in short, the only thing Tesla's BT integration lets you do is play, pause and skip to the end.

* Today I was listening to Audible. Wanted to pause it. Only way to do so was to look down at the phone on the wireless charging pad....way too low to be safe while driving.
* Yesterday I sent a text that said "Text <my wife's name>" to the neighbor I had texted with before I got in the car. Why? Because Tesla doesn't give any indication whatsoever where one is in the text composition process. The driver just has to know the sequence.

With Android Auto I'd be able to:
* Start/Stop Audible with virtually no visual distraction from driving. Yes - it was on a crappy, low res screen with terrible touch response. But way better than trying to manipulate the phone screen when it's on the charging pad.
* AA would walk me through the texting process, including reading the composed-but-unsent text to me to get my confirmation it was right. It really is as if there is an assistant sitting in the passenger seat.

AA was not, by any means, the bees knees. It was, however, orders of magnitude better than what is in the Tesla today.

For me, an additional baffling part of not having these technologies is Musk has said he's willing to open source car technology. Obviously he needs to have areas where Tesla can differentiate to keep their hardware competitive. But with the jump Tesla has, at the very least, on batteries and charging infrastructure, I would think he wouldn't have a care in the world of Apple catching up in the EV space. I don't understand the economics of CarPlay and AndroidAuto, but I would think he could get it for free.....that Apple would LOVE to be in the Tesla platform.
It is free and Apple would love that. Tesla wants complete control of their interface. Tesla is focusing on getting a whole generation of drivers used to Tesla’s interface. If you get Tesla owners used to Apple’s interface then when Apple releases their Apple car and they nerf Apple CarPlay, more people will switch over to Apple’s EV.

There are two OS’s for phones. Android and Apple. There will only be two maybe three OS’s for cars. Tesla is fighting to be one of those OS’s. They have already said they are open to licensing their technology to other cars. They are in direct competition with Apple and maybe Android auto since they have partnered with Polestar. No other OEM will have their own OS.

I’m not just making stuff up. Analysts a lot smarter than me at Morgan Stanley investment and Apple guru Mark Gurman have been saying this for the past few years.

Source: Who’s to Blame for CarPlay Missing from Tesla Cars? Not Apple, That’s for Sure
To my knowledge, Apple has not licensed its OS to anyone for anything. Ever. Android is open source and is used in the background of a lot of devices. If Tesla is worried about OS competition then Apple is not a concern. And let's be honest - after the shitshow v11 release, if they want to be the dominant OS they need to actually get some competent people working in the OS department.

Compounding the problem is the fact that Tesla’s Bluetooth implementation is pretty poor, so connecting to your phone via bluetooth is a rather miserable experience.
This is maddening to me. I have several group text chats to quickly communicate with various family members. Group texts come in fine, but responses only go the last sender. This was true as of beginning of Q4 '21 when we sold both our Teslas (S & X). The UI states this is a fault of Apple's implementation of BT protocols. I have never had this issue with any 3rd party device in replying to texts.

I'll say that the only good thing about Tesla's Nav system is that it will start pre-conditioning the battery for when you near a supercharger. Other than that it is AWFUL. Here are the issues I CONSTANTLY have with it (in order of frustration)
What I dislike is enlarging or zooming in on the map, traffic indicators disappear. In addition, it doesn't seem to be directional based. On Apple or Google maps, I can see what side of the freeway the congestion or incidents are on.....same disclosure as above. No idea if this has been addressed since October or so.

After we sold our Teslas, I've been renting various ICE SUVs. Those along with our son's Mazda 3 all have had CarPlay. Do I like it? Absolutely. In those cars. I don't particularly miss it on Teslas but it's convenience and seamless portability between non-Tesla cars is quite appealing. The Tesla UI need a few improvements like those above and a few others. Other than that, the environment is quite appealing (pre V11 as I have not seen that in person yet).

Waiting patiently for our MYP and Plaid......

To my knowledge, Apple has not licensed its OS to anyone for anything. Ever. Android is open source and is used in the background of a lot of devices. If Tesla is worried about OS competition then Apple is not a concern. And let's be honest - after the shitshow v11 release, if they want to be the dominant OS they need to actually get some competent people working in the OS department.
Apple hasn’t ever licensed their OS. And they won’t in the future. I never said they would. They will have their own EV with their OS on it. And people that prefer Apple’s OS will choose Apple’s EV over Tesla. Tesla could be the next Android. Where they license out their OS to other manufacturers.

• Disagree
Reactions: bay74
Apple hasn’t ever licensed their OS. And they won’t in the future. I never said they would. They will have their own EV with their OS on it. And people that prefer Apple’s OS will choose Apple’s EV over Tesla. Tesla could be the next Android. Where they license out their OS to other manufacturers.

They did in fact. In the mid 90's there were Mac clones for a few years. I had a few. I think Power Computing and APS Technology offered them.

[Edit]. Yes, yes, it was only once and for a limited time. If I recall, it was during the PowerPC (joint venture w/ Motorola) time period. Could be wrong, it was a long, long, time ago....a different Apple then.

Last edited:
They did in fact. In the mid 90's there were Mac clones for a few years. I had a few. I think Power Computing and APS Technology offered them.
I thought of those but I don’t think they actually licensed their OS. If they did, that was the only time and they have jealously guarded it since then. (Even to the point of suing a company that made ios virtualization software for developers.) It’s safe to say they won’t be licensing MacOS or iOS for manufacturers.

The ironic thing is many, possibly most carplay implementations actually use Android on the car’s side.