Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CarPlay is a deal breaker. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ACP and AA are more or less "proprietary screen casting" with some enhancements to the UI for usability in the particular situation. Which is probably not "high tech". For most ordinary users, ACP and AA are great enhancements if their cars do not have native music (the one of their choice), navigation or phone call functionalities. Otherwise ACP and AA will just add more inconvenience and confusion (for example, when you press a voice command button, it could either be the car's built in voice recognition or Siri/Google depending on whether you have plugged your phone and whether you opened the ACP/AA app on the car's infortainment system).
@SurgeEV , @jjgg is right , ACP/AA is mostly for automakers that have poor infotainment and nav. I have rented vehicles instead of owning for over a decade and it’s easy to see the trend with a lot of legacy automakers, they either don’t care to invest in their infotainment interface or they do it poorly so they offload it to stay relevant . What it seems like to me is manufacturers that weren’t prepared for digital natives had to relinquish their infotainment and navigation UI to ACP and AA and it definitely makes for a hodgepodge situation - functions are sometimes native sometimes ACP and everyone picks a different mix , half baked flaky integrations make it unreliable at times etc. I’ve seen so many horrible implementations of ACP that I’d be weary of buying a car that claims to use it without a long rental beforehand . Tesla on the other hand just works and when something sucks (like some of v11 changes ;-) ) they usually course correct quickly. With Tesla you get decent maps , good routing to charging, seamlessly integrated Bluetooth for phone (on when you expect it and out of the way when listening to music), Spotify , podcast app etc …. there isn’t anything to miss really. I suppose it might be a bit more convenient for Apple Music subscribers with CarPlay but so much would be compromised integrating CarPlay that it doesn’t seem worth it . I suggest renting a model 3 or Y via Turo on your next road trip , you’ll likely be surprised how little you’ll care about ACP/AA .

CarPlay is a solution for pretty much every car manufacture that can't seem to get their media/mapping technology beyond the early 2000s.

I loved car play in my Audi, but I don't miss it at all in my Tesla.

I thought I would miss CarPlay after having in my Audi before buying my Model 3. But I don't because Tesla's integrated navigation is more convenient for finding Superchargers and preparing my car's battery for charging.

I only miss having Apple Music available on the Tesla screen, and the ability to use Tesla voice commands to summon an Apple Music playlist.

Meanwhile, my workaround is to bluetooth stream music from my iPhone to my Tesla. I can summon playlists using Siri on my iPhone or Apple Watch.

Same here. When I got access to it for the first time in my 2015 GT convertible (by way of a snagged/tweaked firmware :D) I was thrilled as the at-the-time Sync version was mediocre at best. I also enjoyed it through my '19 GT convertible (came with it OOTB) I owned, the Sync had improved, but so had CarPlay and it was still better - and a seamless experience with the other ride we owned with the GT, a DD/RT. Both of those vehicles had an ~8" display, and CP works well to optimize the space of those (by today's standards) smaller displays (DD/RT implementation was better, it retained basic vehicle controls at the bottom).

Now though, it just doesn't do anything better than the native Tesla display, and I wonder how good it would be on a 15" display? I've imagine the implementation would need to be in a constrained window[?] With maybe a full/larger space toggle[?]

Funny enough a Wrangler 4xe replaced the DD/RT, and it has the same 8" uConnect setup as the latter, but I've pretty much stopped using CP in it, we have an XM/Sirus sub, I rarely use the nav, messaging is just as convenient through a BT connection to the native uConnect.

Really what I want isn't even CarPlay: it's simply Apple Music/iTunes (Podcasts too, but that's a little less of a priority). Just a service that connects to your Apple account and let's you directly access your music, playlists, etc., vs. having to use Bluetooth (not unlike Spotify or Tidal). It's not like the service side on Apple's end isn't available, as there are already versions of this for various smart devices.

Reactions: K5TRX and impastu
After using carplay in my wife's Honda for a few months, I much prefer Tesla's UI. I'm not a lover of Tesla's UI, it's just that I think it sucks much less than CarPlay. For all it's warts, I even prefer Tesla's UI for playing USB-connected FLAC music over Apple's Music app and CarPlay.

To me the value of CarPlay would be a checkbox item: Tesla-ignorant people do perceive lack of CarPlay as a negative, and trolls like to start stupid threads about it.

I was just in Vegas for CES. I was shocked to ride in a few Uber Teslas when I saw an iPhone, and even iPad, connected via a windshield or other mount.
What a way to ruin that minimalist design!
How can you drive without Waze, or the rest of the Apple, or Android Auto apps?

I don’t understand how a Tesla can be considered “high tech” when every car has ACP and AA.
Why do you fans put up with it? Why won’t Elon add it?
Wow.
Because Uber drivers need the Uber app for their work. Tesla’s don’t have or need an Uber app.

Tesla‘s interface was one of the best I’ve used (well, until V11, anyway) The problem is you’re limited to tesla’s apps.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and Tesla’s podcast app sucks even more than V11 does. Not only that, car play will automatically sync between cars (because everything’s on your phone)

The other big advantage of carplay is it instantly gives you access to a whole library of apps. Maps, audio books, music podcasts, imessage, whatsapp, etc. You also get to use your cellular data so you‘re not stuck paying for premium connectivity on your car just to get music that you already subscribe to on your phone.

Compounding the problem is the fact that Tesla’s Bluetooth implementation is pretty poor, so connecting to your phone via bluetooth is a rather miserable experience.

I'll say that the only good thing about Tesla's Nav system is that it will start pre-conditioning the battery for when you near a supercharger. Other than that it is AWFUL. Here are the issues I CONSTANTLY have with it (in order of frustration)
  1. Directions for forks/turns are awful and sometimes non-existent. It's ridiculous how often I come up to a fork and it doesn't say what to do. Or, I come up to a turn and there are two exits (e.g., 95N and 95S) and it doesn't give a clear indication of which to use.
  2. The map often seems to be on the wrong view. E.g., if I'm coming up to a turn, it shows a map view of the entire 500 mile journey instead of showing the upcoming turn. Other times, when I'm on a long highway part of the trip (maybe 100 miles to the next turn), it shows me the next 5 miles. I suspect that this is related to #1
  3. Traffic rerouting is not nearly as good as Waze
  4. Doesn't provide any of the info of Waze (e.g., police ahead, or object on road ahead)
  5. Sometimes gives me directions for no good reason (almost the opposite of #1). E.g., I'm on an interstate for 100 miles, and it tells me to stay on the interstate when the only option would be to take an exit (i.e., a real exit, not a fork).
There are similar issues with how the SMS is integrated, how the phone system is integrated, how I can't use other music apps (e.g., Pandora, PodBean, etc).

The V11 update has shown that Tesla is an excellent EV/Car manufacturer and an awful UI/UX company. Give me CarPlay or create something similar to the App Store so that other companies can integrate and design intelligent software.

Last edited:
The V11 update has shown that Tesla is an excellent EV/Car manufacturer and an awful UI/UX company. Give me CarPlay or create something similar to the App Store so that other companies can integrate and design intelligent software.

I'm 60 and have been in high tech my whole life/career. I LOATHE Apple because of its closed structure. While I acknowledge Apple hardware is "better" hardware than their competitors, I never felt that hardware advantage was worth the cost of going to such a closed and single-company-controlled ecosystem.

When I bought the Tesla I knew I was buying into an Apple-like ecosystem, but in contrast to the Apple situation the Tesla hardware and EV implementation was sufficient to cause me to bite that bullet. I understand [Apple, Tesla] get UI / user experience benefits by having a closed environment....but holy cow they take on with that decision an enormous amount of heavy lifting to solve problems that others have solved....that the platform could benefit from if they enabled some level of 3rd party integration.

I'm 60 and have been in high tech my whole life/career. I LOATHE Apple because of its closed structure. While I acknowledge Apple hardware is "better" hardware than their competitors, I never felt that hardware advantage was worth the cost of going to such a closed and single-company-controlled ecosystem.

When I bought the Tesla I knew I was buying into an Apple-like ecosystem, but in contrast to the Apple situation the Tesla hardware and EV implementation was sufficient to cause me to bite that bullet. I understand [Apple, Tesla] get UI / user experience benefits by having a closed environment....but holy cow they take on with that decision an enormous amount of heavy lifting to solve problems that others have solved....that the platform could benefit from if they enabled some level of 3rd party integration.
Completely agree...

Maybe it's "closed" but the nice thing with the Apple CarPlay is that I don't HAVE to use it. I can always just use the system provided by the car manufacturer. I.e., it's OPTIONAL.

With the Tesla system, I'm FORCED to use theirs, even if it's obviously worse than the systems provided by other companies.

Personally, I don't understand anybody arguing against having an OPTIONAL system added to the car. If you decide you don't like Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze, then you are free to use the incredibly awful Tesla nav system. I guess some people like missing turns, getting stuck in needless traffic, being pulled over by police officers looking to make their quota, and hitting random stuff/potholes in the road.

I must be one of the few who hasn’t/ doesn’t use any of the aforementioned media playing lol. Never even heard of Waze, never used Apple or Google maps either. I’m just happy to listen to a radio show, I will confess to going premium of Spotify now though, mainly because I haven’t sat down and sussed out if I can stream my phone music without annoying wires everywhere lol

If decide you don't like Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze, then you are free to use the incredibly awful Tesla nav system. I guess some people like missing turns, getting stuck in needless traffic, being pulled over by police officers looking to make their quota, and hitting random stuff/potholes in the road.
This kind of hyperbole doesn't really help your argument.

• Love
Reactions: impastu
This is why CarPlay is never coming to Tesla. Apple doesn’t want their services in a Tesla as much as Tesla doesn’t want Apple’s services. They’re both thinking long term competitively.

That and I suspect the manufacturer has to give up data or doesn’t get all of it from apple or google if their systems are used .
As some pointed out , it drives data subscriptions too and as we know , many companies turn to services for stable revenue.
Throw in an eventual Tesla App Store or advertising revenue and you have a fairly solid case for Tesla not letting them burrow too far into their product.

That and I suspect the manufacturer has to give up data or doesn’t get all of it from apple or google if their systems are used .
As some pointed out , it drives data subscriptions too and as we know , many companies turn to services for stable revenue.
Throw in an eventual Tesla App Store or advertising revenue and you have a fairly solid case for Tesla not letting them burrow too far into their product.
Yep, Tesla will ultimately be a services company in the future. Just like Apple. Tesla App Store will be crucial when people hail Tesla taxis. People have their own account so when they get into their autonomous Tesla they hailed all of their apps and shows/movies/games load right up