Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CarPlay is a deal breaker. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
* Today I was listening to Audible. Wanted to pause it. Only way to do so was to look down at the phone on the wireless charging pad....way too low to be safe while driving.
* Yesterday I sent a text that said "Text <my wife's name>" to the neighbor I had texted with before I got in the car. Why? Because Tesla doesn't give any indication whatsoever where one is in the text composition process. The driver just has to know the sequence.

With Android Auto I'd be able to:
* Start/Stop Audible with virtually no visual distraction from driving. Yes - it was on a crappy, low res screen with terrible touch response. But way better than trying to manipulate the phone screen when it's on the charging pad.
* AA would walk me through the texting process, including reading the composed-but-unsent text to me to get my confirmation it was right. It really is as if there is an assistant sitting in the passenger seat.

AA was not, by any means, the bees knees. It was, however, orders of magnitude better than what is in the Tesla today.

For me, an additional baffling part of not having these technologies is Musk has said he's willing to open source car technology. Obviously he needs to have areas where Tesla can differentiate to keep their hardware competitive. But with the jump Tesla has, at the very least, on batteries and charging infrastructure, I would think he wouldn't have a care in the world of Apple catching up in the EV space. I don't understand the economics of CarPlay and AndroidAuto, but I would think he could get it for free.....that Apple would LOVE to be in the Tesla platform.

Audible pauses for me by pressing the left wheel on the steering all the time. Also works from the pause/play button from the Telsa bluetooth player. That sometimes has a couple second lag, but it still works.

iPhone 13. Model 3. Hw3

I’d suggest trying Waze. It’s traffic routing and directions are far superior to what Tesla has.
Can it be shown on the actual display or is it only on your phone? I never used gmaps or apple because my previous cars didn’t have that capability. I hate phones on stalks stuck in windscreens or anywhere else for that matter, they’re a distraction to what should be happening imo ie. Driving.
I’m old school too, I can still read a map, follow road signs, make a route plan, I even do it when using satnav too. I reckon a lot of the last minute Larry manoeuvres swinging across 3-4lanes are down to satnavs 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not trying to be rude. But some people need to read the manual. It will help you enjoy the car a lot more.

To be fair.. there’s an a lot of stuff that’s not covered in the manual. And some of the items have moved from one day to the next during an update. I’m not going to proactively re-read the manual because the car applied a software update.

Reactions: Xdama
I know, I was totally surprised when I found the built-in espresso maker.
Dang! I really gotta read that manual!

I found out a few days ago that there are actually 2 defrost modes - tapping the button once puts it in defog mode, twice turns on defrost. I looked in the manual and even when I knew what I was looking for it was hard to find so I can understand people missing things.

On the other hand, the manual is on line and easily searchable so there's no reason not to look for answers in it.

Android and Apple Carplay are both really bad kluges IMO. I have them on two cars (Porsche and Ford Powerboost pickup) and do not use them, ever. Much better to just use Waze next to the negative NAV app on whatever car I am driving. Get a good phone holder with inductive charging, like Quadlock, install it high, near your line of sight, but not blocking the main screen, and you have the best of all worlds. I do this on my motorcycles, cars, boats, bicycles, even jet skis - having two "competing" nav systems is a very smart thing to do - one often finds or knows things before the other, or has connectivity where the other does not. Just better all the way around. And it is far better to run all media from your phone all the time if you have more than one vehicle - that way you are not switching back and forth - in the middle of a podcast in the Model X when hopping onto the bicycle or motorcycle? All good, comes right over to the headset or into the boat's bluetooth. The advent of smartphones for everything was the game changer - focusing everything there is the best way to go (run SiriusXM streaming, the hell with native), but then crippling the phone through Android Auto or Carplay is just silly IMO.

They did in fact. In the mid 90's there were Mac clones for a few years. I had a few. I think Power Computing and APS Technology offered them.

[Edit]. Yes, yes, it was only once and for a limited time. If I recall, it was during the PowerPC (joint venture w/ Motorola) time period. Could be wrong, it was a long, long, time ago....a different Apple then.
Steve Jobs came back to the company and blew those licensing contracts up. Ballsy move at the time...gotta love the conviction.

Android and Apple Carplay are both really bad kluges IMO. I have them on two cars (Porsche and Ford Powerboost pickup) and do not use them, ever. Much better to just use Waze next to the negative NAV app on whatever car I am driving. Get a good phone holder with inductive charging, like Quadlock, install it high, near your line of sight, but not blocking the main screen, and you have the best of all worlds. I do this on my motorcycles, cars, boats, bicycles, even jet skis - having two "competing" nav systems is a very smart thing to do - one often finds or knows things before the other, or has connectivity where the other does not. Just better all the way around. And it is far better to run all media from your phone all the time if you have more than one vehicle - that way you are not switching back and forth - in the middle of a podcast in the Model X when hopping onto the bicycle or motorcycle? All good, comes right over to the headset or into the boat's bluetooth. The advent of smartphones for everything was the game changer - focusing everything there is the best way to go (run SiriusXM streaming, the hell with native), but then crippling the phone through Android Auto or Carplay is just silly IMO.
Not for me thanks. I hate phones or anything else anywhere near the windscreen. Tbf, not that keen on satnav either, it’s made a world full of dumbarses who haven’t a bloody clue where they are, most of the time🤣🤣

Waze is trash. It makes so many unnecessary turns to save maybe a minute. I wish I could get a few more streaming services like iheartradio for more am radio options but otherwise I'm served fine without additional phone apps.
No argument that it may try to just save a minute. That being said, I've never had an occasion where I'm missing a turn or confused about what direction to go due to the instructions from Waze (or Apple Maps). With Tesla's nav, it's nearly every other trip that I'm frustrated with it. The only good thing with the Tesla nav is the ability to pre-condition the battery. For short distances, it's easily the worst of all of the navigation systems. Given that Tesla is a hardware company, and based on its V11 rollout, I think we can safely say that they aren't putting a lot of resources into making the Nav better. They just don't view it as a competitive advantage.

No argument that it may try to just save a minute. That being said, I've never had an occasion where I'm missing a turn or confused about what direction to go due to the instructions from Waze (or Apple Maps). With Tesla's nav, it's nearly every other trip that I'm frustrated with it. The only good thing with the Tesla nav is the ability to pre-condition the battery. For short distances, it's easily the worst of all of the navigation systems. Given that Tesla is a hardware company, and based on its V11 rollout, I think we can safely say that they aren't putting a lot of resources into making the Nav better. They just don't view it as a competitive advantage.
That's an interesting take because google supplies the map and direction data for Tesla. Google also owns Waze.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
That's an interesting take because google supplies the map and direction data for Tesla. Google also owns Waze.
Agreed. I was hoping that the listing of the directions would be as good as Waze given the relationships that you noted. Instead, it is FAR worse. I'd suggest you try something besides the Tesla Nav and you will see how bad it truly is. I constantly have the following issues with the Tesla Nav
  1. Often does not say what to do at a fork in the road. When you suddenly realize that you have no idea which road to take, you have to zoom out and try to figure out from the rest of the directions which is the correct route.
  2. Is really bad about notifying which exit to use when there is something like Route 123N and Route 123S close to each other
  3. Is often bad about giving timely directions about when to turn. The directions are often way too early or way too late
  4. This one is just annoying: will give directions when not needed. I.e, it may say to stay on I-95 even though there is no fork or any other obvious reason that you wouldn't stay on the route.
  5. I've found that it prefers staying on major roads even if that means getting stuck in traffic that either Waze or Apple Maps would route around
To your point, yes, Tesla uses the Google maps. I don't know if Google supplies real-time traffic rerouting to Tesla and it seems that it doesn't supply the intelligence about when to provide directions and when not to (#1, #2, and #3). It seems that Tesla decided to code that themselves and it's clear that they didn't implement that as well as their competitors.

After one month of owning a 2021 Model S, my biggest disappointment is the media interface. I love CarPlay and Waze and just can not comprehend how they can not be available on Tesla, when most entry level cars have them. I use wireless Carplay on our BMW X5 and always did on my 5 Series.

Also - how can Tesla Model S have that huge screen, but when playing something that displays album art, the album art is so small - can barely make it out? In the screen in the rear seats it is large though. Media interface is absolutely horrible. SiriusXM does not refresh channels or album art correctly, etc. How can favorites not display favorites from Sirius, FM, into one, not recent channels. Such easy fixes, but all Tesla cares about is FSD. Can you just spend an hour to make the media interface better and easier to use? Could care less about FSD, as in its current form is not much different than other top cars with something similar.

BMW interface blew Tesla’s away and I always thought Tesla was a tech company. Elon - charge me for CarPlay if you have too. Will buy it. But give us an option for those who want it.

I'll say that the only good thing about Tesla's Nav system is that it will start pre-conditioning the battery for when you near a supercharger. Other than that it is AWFUL. Here are the issues I CONSTANTLY have with it (in order of frustration)
  1. Directions for forks/turns are awful and sometimes non-existent. It's ridiculous how often I come up to a fork and it doesn't say what to do. Or, I come up to a turn and there are two exits (e.g., 95N and 95S) and it doesn't give a clear indication of which to use.
  2. The map often seems to be on the wrong view. E.g., if I'm coming up to a turn, it shows a map view of the entire 500 mile journey instead of showing the upcoming turn. Other times, when I'm on a long highway part of the trip (maybe 100 miles to the next turn), it shows me the next 5 miles. I suspect that this is related to #1
  3. Traffic rerouting is not nearly as good as Waze
  4. Doesn't provide any of the info of Waze (e.g., police ahead, or object on road ahead)
  5. Sometimes gives me directions for no good reason (almost the opposite of #1). E.g., I'm on an interstate for 100 miles, and it tells me to stay on the interstate when the only option would be to take an exit (i.e., a real exit, not a fork).
There are similar issues with how the SMS is integrated, how the phone system is integrated, how I can't use other music apps (e.g., Pandora, PodBean, etc).

The V11 update has shown that Tesla is an excellent EV/Car manufacturer and an awful UI/UX company. Give me CarPlay or create something similar to the App Store so that other companies can integrate and design intelligent software.
You can just set your phone to Waze and connect it via BT to your car...that way when there is a notification like obstacle or police you HEAR it rather than see it. Much better and safer.