Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CarPlay still? (to the heavens) whyyyy???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if the infotainment system was android or ios based, it would have a chance.

my understanding is that tesla wrote their UI entirely on their own, so 'apps' don't really port well to their system.

think of maintenance; if they did a big port once, what do you do about updates?

plus, isn't there fees to use carplay? no vendor likes to pay royalties if they can own their own destiny.

Reactions: JøhP
If you miss your music, try the Spotify application built-in. It actually works pretty good.
You build your playlists on your desktop using a Spotify acct you create, then sign on in the car one time, and voila. In 15 minutes at your desk you can make a new playlist. Just give it a meaningful name, like MyRockMusic and it will pull up suggestions, click the ones you like, and hit MORE (or whatever) and it keeps making new suggestions.

Even voice is working in it now. It has some bugs, but nothing major.

Yes, I miss Carplay too. I doubt Tesla will allow it.

Reactions: JøhP and mswlogo
btw, can android phones control a carplay system? (I'm 100% not an apple guy, so I'm curious, now).

from what I've read, you need a certain version of iphone and older apple phones are not compatible.

if android can't control a carplay system (can it?) - then why would tesla alienate half of the phone users out there?

Reactions: AvengerBB and JøhP
Please Elan, in the next few updates. At least until the next great interface shows up! CarPlay is so much superior as an interface, and gives every driver choice, not to mention eases LTE bandwidth and gives us back full high fidelity streaming to our amazing sound system if we want it!

Cause elon dont care about you, he likes having the functionality of a 95 honda for audio and phone cause he can deliver no FSD for thise that dropped 5K 5 years ago and never got anything. Joke on you losers

I don't know if its true, but I read a while back that the only way to implement the car side of those was a specific set of hardware sold at a substantial markup by just one vendor who had a legal monopoly on it.

That'd require a specific new hardware design from Tesla to enable it, rather than the general computing hardware they use now. Unless there's a reasonably efficient way to emulate it (and assuming there aren't legal barriers to that.)

also, I'd personally wonder about security issues with 3rd party integrations, especially if it includes hardware.

I worry about security (maybe too much, but its a part of my day job) and so I question every single accessible public interface that is exposed. you would not believe the attack angles on so many cars (and I can't give links, its NDA stuff).

Bottom line, do not expect Android Auto or Car Play. Ever.
Sadly I think this is true...

As many have said before, Tesla doesn't see the value even though many many people don't agree (me as example). What happens in forums is those of us that want it are told Tesla already does better (opinion not fact) and why would don't need it anyway cause (opinion not fact) Tesla's UI is perfection on wheels and has everything you (should) need (nope).

I don't know if its true, but I read a while back that the only way to implement the car side of those was a specific set of hardware sold at a substantial markup by just one vendor who had a legal monopoly on it.

Adding this support would not be that difficult, certainly not at the same level of software expertise required to create a self driving car.

Apple Car play and Android Auto have numerous vendors supporting the protocols right now today in 1 piece of hardware.

Car Play requires an auth chip (cause Apple wants to protect your phone from your car so whatever), so pass that licensing fee charge on to the people who want it just like you now gotta pay for those HomeLink bits.

Not rocket science folks; some event passing (think touch screen coordinates, tap/button press, some optional stuff like GPS, etc) and a video output from phone to display is what CarPlay needs. We've got fireplaces, farting seats, video games and hosted video services.

There's no technical reason to exclude support native for phone integrations.

also, I'd personally wonder about security issues with 3rd party integrations, especially if it includes hardware.

I worry about security (maybe too much, but its a part of my day job) and so I question every single accessible public interface that is exposed. you would not believe the attack angles on so many cars (and I can't give links, its NDA stuff).
I get this. But if we are forced to regress ten years in musical application, including fidelity, then just let us know so we can properly process the loss.

• Disagree
Reactions: AvengerBB and JøhP
if the infotainment system was android or ios based, it would have a chance.

my understanding is that tesla wrote their UI entirely on their own, so 'apps' don't really port well to their system.

think of maintenance; if they did a big port once, what do you do about updates?

plus, isn't there fees to use carplay? no vendor likes to pay royalties if they can own their own destiny.
Then charge us for heavens sake. Just give us a non-regressive option somewhere.

• Disagree
I get this. But if we are forced to regress ten years in musical application, including fidelity, then just let us know so we can properly process the loss.

I don't love the current music ui, either. but I also don't love the idea of being in bed with either android OR apple. they both suck (sorry, but its how I feel; and they suck for different reasons).

it seems to be a priority or manpower issue. sure, they could smarten up their entertainment system - and they should - but gluing on android or apple crap (again, sorry for being blunt) is just not a secure solution. I don't give a crap what other car vendors do; they are all unsecure and they could not even care less. we all expect more of tesla.

and yes, there can be security issues even with so-called air-gapped systems. I've seen the pen-testing results on some cars. its shocking how good the testers are; and they find root holes all the time in the most unexpected places.

Adding this support would not be that difficult, certainly not at the same level of software expertise required to create a self driving car.

do you write software or work in this field? just curious.

uhm, its a lot more than you're making it out to be...

Apple Car play and Android Auto have numerous vendors supporting the protocols right now today in 1 piece of hardware.

tesla chose to NOT use apple or android UI toolkits and that's that. they picked their path. its a forklift upgrade to switch it out, so 'good luck with that'.

Not rocket science folks; some event passing (think touch screen coordinates, tap/button press, some optional stuff like GPS, etc) and a video output from phone to display is what CarPlay needs.

There's no technical reason to exclude support native for phone integrations.

uhm, I think you are oversimplifying things.

if it was so easy, they'd have done it. I'm pretty sure that not being native android or ios in their system means that its NOT a trivial task to 'adopt an app' in one ecosystem or another.

If you miss your music, try the Spotify application built-in. It actually works pretty good.
You build your playlists on your desktop using a Spotify acct you create, then sign on in the car one time, and voila. In 15 minutes at your desk you can make a new playlist. Just give it a meaningful name, like MyRockMusic and it will pull up suggestions, click the ones you like, and hit MORE (or whatever) and it keeps making new suggestions.

Even voice is working in it now. It has some bugs, but nothing major.

Yes, I miss Carplay too. I doubt Tesla will allow it.

Spotify at least tops out at 320kps, which is the minimum to justify such a wonderful streaming audio system, and works pretty dang well. But no, us Tesla owners only get 160k or less of what Spotify is already set up to do, even though we've paid for the 320kps. Tidal is great too as a streaming app. What about them since they stream 16b, 44.1 at 1611kbs? Lets take advantage of these great speakers in our car! It's like we all have been listening to pirated crappy mp3 downloads for so long, we have forgotten how our music should still sound like! So now it's HALF of the Spotify quality, like I need a hole in my head. If you've listened to, say, vocal performances your whole life-- lets say an Aretha classic; sure you can hear what song it is and even sing to it. But you hear half the resolution, which means you then miss much of the phrasing, the touch, the emotion, the ease, feel the deft pause, and the emotional strain. When the quality delivery is really good, you almost envision the sweat as she grounds it out. Just as you remember it. But with the Tesla 160kps or less compression that we get from Tesla Spotify or Tesla Slacker, or even bluetooth from our phones, you just don't feel it the same way. The song is there that you like. But part of its soul has been cut away. I'm not ok with that. But when I am in road warrior mode, and need to make some wonderful time down the highway for hours and beautiful musical and scenic hours, less than an ideal presentation is so painful. But that's just me. So yeah I simply revert back to 10 years or so ago back in the two thousands-ies, and find all the audio that I had collected, and re-assemble a 10k or so song playlist, format a drive and jam it in one of the USB slots. It'll be fine. I'll climb down off my soapbox now.

my wish would be to JUST allow a simple spdif-in and be DONE WITH IT.

handle all other control functions on your actual phone or dedicated audio player.

I prefer using an older fio DAP and it has coax (adaptable to opto) spdif-out and its bit friggin perfect up to 24/192. can't ask for better than that. oh right, you can - dsd-native support. has that, too, via spdif-out.

so, elon give us digital-line-in and we can take it from there.

btw, there are ZERO (I repeat, zero) security issues by accepting an spdif audio stream for input.

(spdif can also do multichannel, for those that, well, like that sort of thing) ;)

THAT's what I think would be amazing. and yet, I'm not holding my breath.

do you write software or work in this field? just
uhm, I think you are oversimplifying things.

if it was so easy, they'd have done it. I'm pretty sure that not being native android or ios in their system means that its NOT a trivial task to 'adopt an app' in one ecosystem or another.

um jaguar updated my 2018 epace to CarPlay so if JLR can figure it out I’m sure the geniuses at Tesla can manage just fine.

does jaguar use android inside?

again, what I'm saying is that an app that is targeted toward a standard OS (apple or android) will port to those systems and anything that isn't a simple port is going to cost time and money and probably have security and bug issues. some vendors care more than others, some don't really even understand that they should care (clue factor is quite low on many oems).

but jaguar != tesla, so I'm not sure what your point is ....