Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CCS compatibility; legal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excuse my ignorance, but > where>>>"you can buy the $140 part that enables CCS1 charging."?
See here for a reference for anybody with Model 3/Y that wants to add CCS1 charging to their car Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

In your case it's the easiest to add CCS1 compatibility because all you have to do is order the correct charge port ECU from a service center for $140 (plus tax, and $55 additional for labor if you don't want to install it yourself). Just open your Tesla app and go to Service > Request Service > Other > Something Else. Type in that you want to buy a part over the counter and specify part # 1537264-00-B. Alternatively you can specify that you want then to install that part for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape
See here for a reference for anybody with Model 3/Y that wants to add CCS1 charging to their car Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

In your case it's the easiest to add CCS1 compatibility because all you have to do is order the correct charge port ECU from a service center for $140 (plus tax, and $55 additional for labor if you don't want to install it yourself). Just open your Tesla app and go to Service > Request Service > Other > Something Else. Type in that you want to buy a part over the counter and specify part # 1537264-00-B. Alternatively you can specify that you want then to install that part for you.
Yep, I just did it to my Y last night and now have CCS Enabled. I was one of the unlucky ones from Sept 2021. Some before me had it installed and some after me had it installed, but I got mine when they were out of the CCS chips apparently. I got the part from a local SC, ordered the adapter from Korea, and now my car is CCS enabled. No big deal.

It’s worth adding as a follow up here regarding my gripes…..spoke to regional service manager, he’s hooking me up with a loaner and a $500 service credit. I would have been happy with a loaner so, this is above what I’d expected. It’s a nice turn of events and I should give credit where it’s due.

Yep, I just did it to my Y last night and now have CCS Enabled. I was one of the unlucky ones from Sept 2021. Some before me had it installed and some after me had it installed, but I got mine when they were out of the CCS chips apparently. I got the part from a local SC, ordered the adapter from Korea, and now my car is CCS enabled. No big deal.
@MSHampton , have you tested Supercharging, as well as CCS charging, to make sure everything works when you need it to? Is 1537264-00-B still the correct/current part number? My July 2021-built Y got skipped over for CCS support. We are in Pasadena at the moment and learned a few Tesla owners chose to use the city’s free CCS option instead of Superchargers in the same lot. Saves about $40 in charging during peak electricity rates.

We don’t Supercharge often so I’m not looking for CCS to save money in corner cases. Rather I like having more charging options since we plan more road-trips in the future, but I’m paranoid the SC will swap out the board and introduce some new issue on my otherwise perfectly working Y.

Also, from what PlugShare reports, the Teslas CCS charge slower than some of the PoleStars, Mach-e, and Rivian, but if I’m out somewhere remote and a CCS is my closest option then I won’t be complaining about charge speed.

3367DB8A-867C-44D3-B386-EA7AEA5A05FB.jpeg

2434F696-4EA6-443E-8535-0E69E89E602F.jpeg

F878B873-2671-4330-AC80-7114DB0B34B7.png

Last edited:
@MSHampton , have you tested Supercharging, as well as CCS charging, to make sure everything works when you need it to? Is 1537264-00-B still the correct/current part number? My July 2021-built Y got skipped over for CCS support. We are in Pasadena at the moment and learned a few Tesla owners chose to use the city’s free CCS option instead of Superchargers in the same lot. Saves about $40 in charging during peak electricity rates.

We don’t Supercharge often so I’m not looking for CCS to save money in corner cases. Rather I like having more charging options since we plan more road-trips in the future, but I’m paranoid the SC will swap out the board and introduce some new issue on my otherwise perfectly working Y.

View attachment 812174
View attachment 812175
I supercharged yesterday in Dallas while I was there at an Urban supercharger, which is only like 79kW. Had a strange occurrence where I got an error "CP_a140 - Supercharger reports an error. Unplug and retry / Try a different stall." Tried again and it started, but then got a notification on my phone that it had stopped again. When I got back to the car I changed to another stall and it worked. Strange thing was that while I was there a Model S parked and apparently was able to charge at that same location.

Tomorrow I will be testing CCS and another Supercharger to make sure everything is working because we have a road trip coming up next weekend and I obviously don't want to be stranded.

On the other hand, AC charging here at home has been working flawlessly since the upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: FatherTo1
I supercharged yesterday in Dallas while I was there at an Urban supercharger, which is only like 79kW. Had a strange occurrence where I got an error "CP_a140 - Supercharger reports an error. Unplug and retry / Try a different stall." Tried again and it started, but then got a notification on my phone that it had stopped again. When I got back to the car I changed to another stall and it worked. Strange thing was that while I was there a Model S parked and apparently was able to charge at that same location.

Tomorrow I will be testing CCS and another Supercharger to make sure everything is working because we have a road trip coming up next weekend and I obviously don't want to be stranded.

On the other hand, AC charging here at home has been working flawlessly since the upgrade.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us and please let us know how CCS charging goes. Wishing you and the family a safe and smooth road trip.

Reactions: MSHampton
Has anyone checked the legality of some model Y’s having CCS compatibility and some not? I don’t understand how it’s allowed that when order a base model, same as the rest, mine doesn’t come with CCS but someone else’s does. I don’t recall a specific agreement saying this was ok, so what gives on this? How did this happen?
I don't recall Tesla ever advertising that the Model Y has or had CCS compatibility.

I'm pretty sure Apple for the longest time (maybe still does) used a chip in the iPhone that had FM radio capability, they just decided not to use that feature on the chip. Maybe one day they did decide to use that feature and unlock it via an update. Maybe they would be "nice" and allow any phone with that part to have it work but only guarantee it (IE market it) with phones specifically sold after the feature was included.

Reactions: laservet