Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CCS compatibility; legal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't CCS just use a J1772 connector? And doesn't the car come with a J1772 adapter?

I home charge on a Tesla HPWC and have only used SuperChargers otherwise... so legitimate question - aren't there third-party fast chargers that you can use with just the J1772 adapter?

Doesn't CCS just use a J1772 connector? And doesn't the car come with a J1772 adapter?

I home charge on a Tesla HPWC and have only used SuperChargers otherwise... so legitimate question - aren't there third-party fast chargers that you can use with just the J1772 adapter?

Assuming you mean North America and If by fast you mean DC the answer is no.

I'm hoping someone else has the time to explain that details.

Reactions: outdoors
Well, It’s been an enlightening discussion. I can see logical answers for both sides now. Tesla just does stuff different. Buy your Model Y, we assign a vin and we’ll see what little features you may or may not get. I actually wish I knew this was a thing before ordering, but it wouldn’t have changed my decision.

Thanks for the discussion folks!
That's basically the long and short of it.

None of these are called out as feature online or in the agreement.
Is this the end of the world? No. Do I agree it was never promised? Yes.

Is it still a jerk move by a company that proves time and again they don’t care about their customer? Yes. I don’t think it’s fair that customers should be charged the same price for a different set of features regardless of whether those features were promised or not. If they cared, they’d offer to replace once the shortage ends.
Tesla has become expert at reducing customer trust.

They have a large profit margin per car. Yet they deliver cars with defects that are easily discernible. Look at the recent munro inspection of the model Y.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Had no idea there were such differences in production runs. I have a heated steering wheel, didn’t know some do not.
I guess that's the downside to Tesla's "on the fly" changes to cars. Sometimes it benefits newer owners (Ryzen chip or free heated steering wheel/rear seats, revamped center console), sometimes it doesn't (USB-c charge ports being power only, removal of passenger lumbar adjustments, no CCS compatibility or non-matrix headlights, no charging cable standard). It's pure luck of the draw sometimes.

So how do you feel about the stuff Tesla has been adding without notification or asking permission? Improved processor, better 12V battery, myriad other internal changes. We're in this weird situation where cars are backordered 9-12 months, and this particular company continuously changes many things about the car. I don't think I want them to build me a version of last year's car just so that I get what I ordered last November. I like that unlike legacy manufacturers they engage in continuous improvement rather than holding back and delivering the same vehicle until they roll out a "new"model. When my car finally shows up I'll decide whether I want the currently produced vehicle with whatever additions and deletions it might have at last year's price. If all of a sudden they change the battery pack so that it only has 200 miles of range, I'll walk. If they fix the windshield wipers and make cruise control actually work, I'll be happy.

With the current ordering/production time distortion one would be much better off buying a used vehicle if certainty about the exact composition of the product is paramount.
This isn't meant to be a direct response to you, but to anyone, but I quoted your post since it sorta hits on the point I'm about to make.

It is pretty insane that 4 people could order the same exact Tesla, same model year, with the exact same specs a week apart, and yet each person could receive a slightly different version of the car (one has no matrix headlights, another other 3 have matrix but 2 of the 3 don't have CCS compatibility, and one of the 2 non-CCS enabled cars doesn't come with the charging cable standard).

No, it's basically 2 parts melded together, a J1772-like top piece and a separate section on the bottom with 2 additional prongs. Google pics. It's pretty massive. And there are third party chargers you can use with the J1772 adapter, but they are L2, not fast-charge L3.

No, it's basically 2 parts melded together, a J1772-like top piece and a separate section on the bottom with 2 additional prongs. Google pics. It's pretty massive. And there are third party chargers you can use with the J1772 adapter, but they are L2, not fast-charge L3.
I did Google pics before I asked. CCS1 seemed to be the same as J1772. CCS2 has the 2 large additional prongs below it.

I did Google pics before I asked. CCS1 seemed to be the same as J1772. CCS2 has the 2 large additional prongs below it.
1653415396077.png

Reactions: DanDi58
There are lots of charging options around the World. Most Tesla owners can purchase adaptors from Tesla or aftermarket to gain them access to most of them. Charging standard and plug compatibilities are a fluid market currently.

There are lots of charging options around the World. Most Tesla owners can purchase adaptors from Tesla or aftermarket to gain them access to most of them. Charging standard and plug compatibilities are a fluid market currently.
Well, CCS1 seems to be the emerging 'standard' for fast charging in North America- at least compared to CHAdeMo or Tesla proprietary. I don't think that's really fluid. It seems like every new EV coming out is using CCS now. Tesla has basically admitted that by talking about adding CCS access to the SC network. It's a shame that they more clunky 'VHS'CCS version of the standard has won, vs the sleeker 'Betamax' Tesla uses.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Well, CCS1 seems to be the emerging 'standard' for fast charging in North America- at least compared to CHAdeMo or Tesla proprietary. I don't think that's really fluid. It seems like every new EV coming out is using CCS now. Tesla has basically admitted that by talking about adding CCS access to the SC network. It's a shame that they more clunky 'VHS'CCS version of the standard has won, vs the sleeker 'Betamax' Tesla uses.
I agree, in the U.S. public money is only going to CCS1 and J1772. Tesla connector is better, but it doesn't matter. The real inconvenience is the short supercharger cord and that Tesla originally chose the wrong location for the charge port.

The large prongs below supply the juice. The top part becomes the communication to the power source.

So you can't just plug in the J1772 portion using the adapter and expect any magic juice to flow from the CCS1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
I agree, in the U.S. public money is only going to CCS1 and J1772. Tesla connector is better, but it doesn't matter. The real inconvenience is the short supercharger cord and that Tesla originally chose the wrong location for the charge port.
What is wrong about the charge port location? I think it is the right spot as I can't stand charging port locations that force you to park head in (the WRONG way if you ask me) - but then again my dad was a military contractor and I learned to never, ever park head in.

After using the CCS1 adapter numerous times over the last few weeks, I concur with others here that the CCS1 standard is an abomination of a frankenplug.

What is wrong about the charge port location? I think it is the right spot as I can't stand charging port locations that force you to park head in (the WRONG way if you ask me) - but then again my dad was a military contractor and I learned to never, ever park head in.

After using the CCS1 adapter numerous times over the last few weeks, I concur with others here that the CCS1 standard is an abomination of a frankenplug.
that's funny... I was about 50/50 depending on how I felt that day... then I ended up working with a vehicle fleet for a bit. Now I ALWAYS back in.

It's the rule for most fleets because it's (apparently) safer to pull forward than back out. That's probably especially true in our Teslas which don't have cross traffic alerts.

It's the rule for most fleets because it's (apparently) safer to pull forward than back out. That's probably especially true in our Teslas which don't have cross traffic alerts.
It's actually easier for me to back into a small narrow parking spot ever since I stationed in Japan years ago. Now, I even back into my own garage. I can see why all the valet, car rental fleets back in because it does take up less space and easier to get out.