Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CCS compatibility; legal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone checked the legality of some model Y’s having CCS compatibility and some not? I don’t understand how it’s allowed that when order a base model, same as the rest, mine doesn’t come with CCS but someone else’s does. I don’t recall a specific agreement saying this was ok, so what gives on this? How did this happen?

Find where in your order agreement anywhere CCS compatibility in the USA is promised, then you have a case. You wont find it though. Tesla does not even sell the CCS adapter in the US yet for model 3 / Y (and whether you can buy one from another country and import it and have it work or not has NO bearing on that).

So, no, there is no legal issue here. Just a customer service / moral one.

Has anyone checked the legality of some model Y’s having CCS compatibility and some not? I don’t understand how it’s allowed that when order a base model, same as the rest, mine doesn’t come with CCS but someone else’s does. I don’t recall a specific agreement saying this was ok, so what gives on this? How did this happen?
Different production dates have different components.
So some early models may not have a module that enables CCS charging. But I saw a video how person retrofitted it.
Another example my model Y doesn't have BIO defense filter or windshield wiper heater element.

What a downer……this along with my 3rd scheduled SC visit, I’m not totally thrilled with my Tesla experience the last 11 months. Trunk leaks (still) and my driver side window intermittently stops on the way up and goes back down automatically. The no CCS compatibility is the icing on the cake.

Reactions: Sindar27
What a downer……this along with my 3rd scheduled SC visit, I’m not totally thrilled with my Tesla experience the last 11 months. Trunk leaks (still) and my driver side window intermittently stops on the way up and goes back down automatically. The no CCS compatibility is the icing on the cake.
No need for CCS charging network since our supercharger network is more than plenty. I think it is time for you to sell your Y and move onto something else (non Tesla).

No need for CCS charging network since our supercharger network is more than plenty. I think it is time for you to sell your Y and move onto something else (non Tesla).
I disagree with network coverage. I was just in a part of the country that made the trip challenging with quite a long charge stop. I arrived with 3% and had to drive rather slow to make it work. Meanwhile, I passed up two locations with ChargePoint rapid chargers on the way. To me, having CCS charging network availability would fill in a lot of gaps where I live.

I may end up selling the Y, or it’s possible Tesla will end up buying it back from me under my states lemon law.

At least you have lumbar support in front passenger seat and center usb-c which supports Data and power. These features were removed around 11/2021 .. Hope tesla sc can fix your car issues.

I disagree with network coverage. I was just in a part of the country that made the trip challenging with quite a long charge stop. I arrived with 3% and had to drive rather slow to make it work. Meanwhile, I passed up two locations with ChargePoint rapid chargers on the way. To me, having CCS charging network availability would fill in a lot of gaps where I live.

I may end up selling the Y, or it’s possible Tesla will end up buying it back from me under my states lemon law.
If you end up keeping it, you can buy the $140 part that enables CCS1 charging. It's easy to install. Then you just buy the $309 CCS1 to Tesla adapter that Tesla only sells in South Korea at present.

And Tesla never specified or promised the ability to use CCS1 charging anywhere. It's a bonus feature that some get and wasn't even enabled until this past winter.

Service I can see but being disappointed because a newer model has features that yours doesn't is the same as any other car. 3 months after purchasing my last car they revamped the whole dash and offered the digital dash with nav and nvida gpu at my trim level.

Service I can see but being disappointed because a newer model has features that yours doesn't is the same as any other car. 3 months after purchasing my last car they revamped the whole dash and offered the digital dash with nav and nvida gpu at my trim level.
It wasn’t necessarily that a newer car had it, it’s that older models have it. I have a 2021 LR, and I know deliveries previous to mine had it. I just didn’t realize they swapped things and out depending on the run. But, now I know!

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
It wasn’t necessarily that a newer car had it, it’s that older models have it. I have a 2021 LR, and I know deliveries previous to mine had it. I just didn’t realize they swapped things and out depending on the run. But, now I know!
Gotcha. Doesn't seem to expensive to add if you really want it. Yeah I knew that going in I have the intel cpu in mine when they were already coming with Ryzen. Though I think I'm ok with that intel has a lower power draw. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself since I have the intel :)