Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CCS compatibility; legal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jjrandorin I have no intent, nor did I ever contemplate suing for a $140 part. Why would someone spend thousands for a $140 part? Just because that’s your interpretation doesn’t mean that was my intent.

When people start talking about " is this legal??" there isnt any reason to ask that question unless they are at least contemplating action. If everyone here said "yep you are right, this is illegal" then would you just say "oh that sucks, ok"?

I’ll also add you’re talking about using a lemon law to have them buy it back.. it shows you’re already looking into legal action over something else..
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want a car that keeps the water out, is it? I’m not suing anyone over it….that has nothing to do with my question about the legality of excluding certain things in its production.

Yes. Becuase who would sue over a $140 part?

People do crazier things (the US is very litigious). Based on your follow up posts though, there wasnt any reason for you to ask "is this legal" (like you put in both the thread title and the body of your text).

Also note, let me say I am not responding as a mod here atm. I have in my signature that unless I specifically call it out, I am just responding as a regular user, but when I have a discussion like this with someone, they usually start pulling out " a mod shouldnt" or "a mod should".

Not saying you are doing that, or about to do that, etc. I am just clarifying that my posts are as a regular user right now, not a moderator. from a moderator perspective there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking whether this is legal whether you planned to take action or were just curious.

I was just stating that asking the question implies that one wants to take action based on the result.

Yes. Becuase who would sue over a $140 part?
Plenty of people have gotten involved over suits for less.. lawyer sues and/or turns it into a class action, lawyers make millions, each person get afew bucks..

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want a car that keeps the water out, is it? I’m not suing anyone over it….that has nothing to do with my question about the legality of excluding certain things in its production.
But it shows you do have a thought process of using the law to solve an issue. Not saying its right or wrong, but when someone mentions using the law in one place, then starts asking about legality of something else…..

What a downer……this along with my 3rd scheduled SC visit, I’m not totally thrilled with my Tesla experience the last 11 months. Trunk leaks (still) and my driver side window intermittently stops on the way up and goes back down automatically. The no CCS compatibility is the icing on the cake.

I assume you recalibrated the window?

Calibrating Windows​

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.
To calibrate a window:
  1. Close the door with the affected window.
  2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower the affected window until it stalls.
  5. Repeat step 3 and raise the affected window until it stalls.
The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

I assume you recalibrated the window?

Calibrating Windows​

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.
To calibrate a window:
  1. Close the door with the affected window.
  2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower the affected window until it stalls.
  5. Repeat step 3 and raise the affected window until it stalls.
The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.
Thanks for this! I didn’t know that was a thing. They did replace the motor and window mechanism last time, and I assume they recalibrated it the. However, I’ll give this a *sugar* and see how it does. Thank you!

Find where in your order agreement anywhere CCS compatibility in the USA is promised, then you have a case. You wont find it though. Tesla does not even sell the CCS adapter in the US yet for model 3 / Y (and whether you can buy one from another country and import it and have it work or not has NO bearing on that).

So, no, there is no legal issue here. Just a customer service / moral one.
While I agree it wasn’t promised in the order agreement, this rebuttal always sits with me wrong.

The vehicle configuration in the order agreement doesn’t stipulate A TON of features and items. It basically just says “Model Y” and lists a few items. By the logic provided, any number a features that make up Model Y could be removed or changed at will.

So which of these items that are listed nowhere on the Model Y “Feature Detail” are actually a hard point:

Power windows
Windows that roll down at all?
Center screen (I can’t find this listed anywhere)
Center screen as touch screen
Interior carpeting at all except for the mats
Headliner
Number of airbags
A rear hatch that opens and isn’t welded shut

None of these are called out as feature online or in the agreement.
Is this the end of the world? No. Do I agree it was never promised? Yes.

Is it still a jerk move by a company that proves time and again they don’t care about their customer? Yes. I don’t think it’s fair that customers should be charged the same price for a different set of features regardless of whether those features were promised or not. If they cared, they’d offer to replace once the shortage ends.

Reactions: zecar
No need for CCS charging network since our supercharger network is more than plenty. I think it is time for you to sell your Y and move onto something else (non Tesla).
All depends where you live. SC network is scarce to say the least in my area and everything popping up all around me is CCS. There are 2 places we go to that are a good distance and need to charge somewhere, both of these have no SC available without some major detours. Good thing we have the adapter and the cars are CCS enabled as now there are dozens of places we can charge up on both of those routes.

Thanks for this! I didn’t know that was a thing. They did replace the motor and window mechanism last time, and I assume they recalibrated it the. However, I’ll give this a *sugar* and see how it does. Thank you!
No problem. Works on most cars that have a pinch calibration. I've done it on a few other cars. Hope it at least fixes one of your issues. 👍

Reactions: Sindar27
...you feel you can sue over a feature that wasn’t listed on the contract to be included?
Well, now that a Jeep owner has sued the manufacturer after his vehicle was involved in a collision because (he says) it did not have the optional autonomous braking feature that he did not order, yeah, you probably can sue Tesla for not giving you something they never said you were going to get.

While I agree it wasn’t promised in the order agreement, this rebuttal always sits with me wrong.

The vehicle configuration in the order agreement doesn’t stipulate A TON of features and items. It basically just says “Model Y” and lists a few items. By the logic provided, any number a features that make up Model Y could be removed or changed at will.

So which of these items that are listed nowhere on the Model Y “Feature Detail” are actually a hard point:

Power windows
Headliner
Number of airbags

Is it still a jerk move by a company that proves time and again they don’t care about their customer? Yes. I don’t think it’s fair that customers should be charged the same price for a different set of features regardless of whether those features were promised or not. If they cared, they’d offer to replace once the shortage ends.

All of those are different than compatibility with a charging network in the US they never promised, nor do they sell an adapter for in the US as of yet.

What a downer……this along with my 3rd scheduled SC visit, I’m not totally thrilled with my Tesla experience the last 11 months. Trunk leaks (still) and my driver side window intermittently stops on the way up and goes back down automatically. The no CCS compatibility is the icing on the cake.

Ahh!!! Someone else with my issue. Picked up the car in March and that's my only problem. It first occurred within 5 minutes of leaving the dealership on delivery day. Mine will start going up and do a little dance where it goes up/down 4 or 5 times and then finally goes up or stays down. Went in for an initial visit and was told they initially thought it was an alignment issue or something like that. The technician says he thinks it's the motor, which requires the replacement of the whole assembly that they didn't have in stock. They order the part and send a mobile technician out to replace the assembly. The technician says there's some new hardware/software (can't remember which) just changed and his diagnostic tools aren't working on it. So, back for another appointment where they say it's all good to go.

It was not good to go. lol Later that day it did it again, but only up/down twice, so we're making progress. I'll take it back again if it gets too annoying.

Power windows
Headliner
Number of airbags

I honestly have no issues with Tesla removing things that were in the car I looked at before getting my "hedgehog" screen. What I have an issue with is them not telling people.... remove whatever you want, but let the customers know

I went to price out a similar car and that site was very clear about what wasnt going to be in the car (i.e. Heated Steering Wheel -$25). They were basically saying, its not available and we're going to give you $25 back for it. I would easily pay $25 more for that feature, but I cant and at least they're open about it.

When I bought my Tesla a year ago a screen came up and told me Tesla no longer puts radar in cars and I had to acknowledge that. That was a good move and it had me change my order to "existing inventory" just to ensure I got radar. Whether or not thats important is subjective (it is for me), but the fact that Tesla told me and I could make an informed decision was key.

Tesla did NOT do that with the removal of passenger lumbar, removal of CCS1 compatibility, center console USB data ports, or one of the 14 speakers. While that stuff may not matter to you, it may matter to someone else who assumed they were getting it since thats how the demo car was.

That’s always what rubbed me the wrong way about this. A bunch of people with what they thought was the same car, but turns out have totally different features. I’m actually surprised this is legal and by saying that it doesn’t imply I’m thinking about suing.

But, the point was raised, where does it say that these items WILL included? Nowhere that I’ve found and because of that I guess it’s on the consumer.

Tesla did NOT do that with the removal of passenger lumbar, removal of CCS1 compatibility, center console USB data ports, or one of the 14 speakers. While that stuff may not matter to you, it may matter to someone else who assumed they were getting it since thats how the demo car was.
I agree with you on all these points, except CCS1. They never advertised that as a feature in the US. People are ordering a part from another country to use it. If they would’ve said “CCS1 compatibility” on their website, I’d agree with you on that point as well. Right now, its luck of the draw if you get it or not.

Reactions: Tha_Ape