TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No charge timer!

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Andrew Wolfe, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

I picked up my car yesterday and was shocked to find out that there is no charge timer. It charges when you plug it in - no delay, no timer. I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else.

Supposedly, this will change in a future update. Right now it means that those of us on TOU electric billing need to wait until after midnight to plug in our cars or pay higher rates.

Every mainstream EV has a timer. A summer intern could have written the code. What a weird thing to leave off.

2. Adm

Adm Active Member

I have seen owners with that option, so I assume you have an older firmware number. I believe the latest is something like 1.15.9.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The latest version is 1.15.8 I believe and I haven't seen anyone with that option yet. Do you have a link to a post or a picture? That should be something they add soon I would think.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Maybe, but given all the posts in other EV forums about "Car didn't charge last night", I'd suspect Tesla would want to make it more bullet-proof and user-friendly. Now admittedly a number of them end up being the EVSE's fault or the interaction between the car's charger and the EVSE, but quite a few are because the controls are confusing to people so they end up programming it not to charge, or to charge on a different day, or at the wrong time, etc.

Recall how program development works:

Step 1: Make it work.

Step 2: Make it work correctly.

Step 3: Make it work quickly without breaking step 2.

Step 4: Add bells and whistles.

Step 5: Go to step 1.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#5 Lloyd, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    Toyota got it right here, with the Tesla electronics. Delayed charge system works great, and uses the departure time as I suggested in this forum a long time ago. I'll see if I can post some photos.

photo.jpg

This is the screen you see when you shut off the car. Shows the next charge schedule, and allows you to charge immediately or select a range charge based on your next usage.

photo1.jpg

This is the active charge screen you see when you open the door and the car is actively charging. This is the beginning of a range charge from an almost empty battery. I am charging at the max that the car can take, 10 kw

photo2.jpg

This is the scheduling screen to input your normal departure each day. You may select across the bottom charge only, climate control only, or both.

6. strider

strider Active Member

Yeah, love the RAV4 setup. Hope Tesla has something similar - obviously it's possible.

7. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I wonder if it will be bundled with the smart phone app that is rumored to be released soon. My reasons: the user interface can be done on the phone and remote alerting to charge problems and status are easily done that way. Just a guess...

8. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

That is supposedly the plan - but I was told 3 months or so.

9. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Timer on the NEMA 14-50 circuit?

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

FYI, LEAF has an "end at time X" timer as well.

Many J1772 EVSE's have a charge timer, so you could use one of those with an adapter if you didn't get the timer you need in the car.

11. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Thanks. This thread just reminded me I have to go plug in my car. It's a pain to have to remember to go plug it in before going to bed so I don't get hit with costly time-of-use day rates when I get home. I am (patiently) waiting for the timed charge firmware update.

12. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Yes that works quite well.

Because the On-Peak/Off-peak times change between summer and winter here in Pagosa Springs, the local Co-op has a Power Line Carrier system that signals the Off-peak times. I have a relay on a 14-50 connected to that signal so that the Model S only charges at off-peak times. The S is very happy to start charging when the 14-50 comes alive during off-peak times, $0.047/kWh vs $0.15/kWh.

13. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

It's been noted, at least as far back as my post on 9/10: First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story) - Page 7

I too am really looking forward to such an option. And I too think it should allow setting a start and end time that uses the min amps necessary (within reason). My thinking is this will minimize load on the power line and possibly even help battery life.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The Roadster has had this for a long time. I think we can assume that a really slick version is in the works.

15. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The Roadster has also been waiting for the promised iPhone app from Tesla for a long time.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It sounds like they plan to base the Roadster's app on the one for the Model S, which isn't ready yet. That would explain why it's not out yet...

I'm quite happy with the Tesla Tattler, and there's also the OVMS. I suspect the "official" version will look flashier, cost more, and probably won't do anything beyond the capabilities of the aftermarket products.

17. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

When I accompanied my friend to the factory on Saturday to pick his up, we were told that it's definitely not available now, but it's coming in a future update.

I will second the OP's shock and surprise. Charge timing is absolutely a basic requirement for an EV. It's really hard to believe that this feature was not in 1.0.0 of the software, at least in some rudimentary form where you could set a start time or the like. I really like the looks of that RAV4 scheduling system, though! I hope the eventual Tesla solution incorporates some of those features.

The good news for me, such as it is, is that the winter TOU rate schedule will be in effect when my car is delivered, and off-peak starts at 6pm on my particular tariff during winter months. So, at least I won't have to stagger down to the car at midnight to plug it in.

18. Zextraterrestrial

My TOU cheap time starts at 8:00 for winter in Humboldt Co. and it is still $0.30 for off peak (for tier 3 since I will be at least in that tier or higher)

Charging timer is a must have and a should be a very basic feature like a fuel gauge! pretty weak to roll out without it

19. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

hmm... I suppose they could have included a rudimentary charge timer (as is on the Roadster) as a stopgap till the fancy one with the mobile app integration is ready. It is an important basic feature that really should be there. I think right now the Model S and the Fisker Karma are the only modern plug-ins that don't have a delay charge timer.

20. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

Today at the Santana Row store I was told that scheduled charging is planned as part of a firmware update due this month. They thought it had been held back for coordination with the app release, since the app can evidently be used to control charging.

They were also under the impression that the iOS app was ready, but that Tesla wanted to release the Android app at the same time to avoid the appearance of preferential treatment (because they've never been accused of THAT before...)