Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No confidence driving the MYP in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive got Michelin X Ice Snow tires on my Model Y AWD LR, on the 20" induction wheels. My car has been driving great in the Denver, CO. We had a big snow storm last week and another yesterday. Has been awesome.
whoa im in littleton as well.. im driving MY LR with the stock 19" tires (not winter) and ive been managing and they are pretty bad on snow / ice... my S had some suspension issues that resulted in similar performance to what youre talking about (except on warm dry pavement).. it was a bad toe arm.. from the Service:

"Found that the Right Rear toe adjustment cam was loose and causing damage to Right Rear toe arm. Replaced Right
Rear toe arm, toe cam and all hardware. Performed 4 wheel alignment. Verified alignment with test drive. Vehicle no
longer pulls hard right on acceleration and hard left on deceleration."

Reactions: andaconda
whoa im in littleton as well.. im driving with the stock tires (not winter) and ive been managing and they are pretty bad on snow / ice... my S had some suspension issues that resulted in similar performance to what youre talking about (except on warm dry pavement).. it was a bad toe arm
Winter tires are worlds BETTER than all seasons. It's not even close.

I can also recommend the Michelin x-ice snows. I've been using them on my cars for years and they are great in winter.

whoa im in littleton as well.. im driving MY LR with the stock 19" tires (not winter) and ive been managing and they are pretty bad on snow / ice... my S had some suspension issues that resulted in similar performance to what youre talking about (except on warm dry pavement).. it was a bad toe arm.. from the Service:

"Found that the Right Rear toe adjustment cam was loose and causing damage to Right Rear toe arm. Replaced Right
Rear toe arm, toe cam and all hardware. Performed 4 wheel alignment. Verified alignment with test drive. Vehicle no
longer pulls hard right on acceleration and hard left on deceleration."

Oh wow, this is exactly what I'm experiencing. I will bring this up the SC when I take it there

The front motor doesn't stay "the rest of the trip". Once the car has detected slippage, it does use the front motor more for acceleration and regen. However, it continuously learns. If after a while it doesn't feel and slipping it will revert to rear only as it's more efficient. Start slipping again and the front will come back.

ICE tires are seriously more supple than other winter (snow) tires because they have a lot more cuts in the rubber. Instead of having big blocks they have 10x more smaller pieces. When you play with the steering at highway speeds you can clearly feel the tires fold around. Someone that's not used to ice tires might feel unsafe for a while.
Sort of supporting what you’re saying… The MYP is still mostly a rear wheel drive car. The front motor is barely ever used and regen only happens with the rear motor.

I’d add that on really icy roads it’s super apparent. I thought I was getting an AWD car but it doesn’t behave like one. It’s RWD 99% of the time and makes it way more unpredictable for me on the snow and ice since it’s unclear when that front motor will decide to turn on and change the driving behavior of the car. It makes for an unpredictable car in the snow and on ice.

I had way more confidence driving a Ford Focus RS in the winter.

So what was the answer to the issue?

Apparently, there's nothing wrong with the car. The regen braking applies to the rear wheels and the Model Y is also rear-wheel biased. What I was experiencing was happening due to the road conditions and the above mentioned. Now that the roads are clear, I haven't had any issues. That said, I think Tesla needs to stop thinking we all live in SoCal and create a proper 50/50 power mode for snow WITH traction control on. I was able to combat some of the problematic handling by running in an off-road mode which forced the system into 50/50 power with no TC.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
They have changed the dual motor car behavior compared to last winter. In previous years it really felt like everything would be done by the rear wheels, even when slipping. This winter I have looked at scanmytesla while driving and I can say this: when the car detects slippage at the back, on top of adjusting regen down the front motor starts being used. I've seen it used in the minutes after a slippage event not just for hard acceleration and hard regen but also in gentle accelerations and decelerations. The car does continue to monitor conditions and will eventually revert to a full rear bias if there is no slippage, for efficiency reasons. It's not perfect I guess but it's certainly better than before.

somethings is wrong with your car or your confidence. The stability control is active, but second to a WRX, this is the best snow car I've driven- I drive circles around people getting stuck getting to ski areas for two winters now. Also, the care DOES switch to a more AWD mode when you use Off Road Assist.

Did you tell the car you put different size wheels/tires on? (In service menu) Might be calculating for the 21’s. my MYP with 19’s and Viking contacts is great in the snow. Chill mode helps, but no crazy pulling in any direction.

I did yes, the car has improved 100% with no snow on the ground. All pulling is gone. So this is definitely a regen and torque vectoring problem with the software.

I saw this but don't understand. The car performed like trash in the snow. Why don't they just enable a "Real Snow" mode toggle and provide 50/50 torque and braking like they do with the Off-Road mode? Many people reported significantly better driving in OFf Road mode, myself included.
I think it's because Mask believes all user inputs are errors :) Tesla computer should know better than a human, so Tesla is trying to automate everything.
It's nice that Tesla tries to improve their algorithms but they should also give people more manual controls as well. I want to be able to override auto settings if I decide to. Dedicated snow mode or/and ability to control regen and front-rear power distribution are good examples.