Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No-confirmation NOAP is here for the masses!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, tried it twice now on my commute for the first time since the release. Not a huge fan, it does some odd things.

Used it on a two lane freeway and it kept me in the slow lane until coming up on two slow moving trucks. All good so far. It changed into the fast lane, passed one truck, then slowed down (making the guy behind me not happy) and changed back to the slow lane behind the lead truck. Then immediately wanted back out into the fast lane to pass the truck. It repeated that behavior several times, which was interesting.

The other thing it does that I don't like is changing lanes very slowly in front of faster moving cars in the right hand lane. I would normally wait for a faster moving car to pass before making a change or if I need to get over doing it quickly to give the other guy plenty of time to slow down or choose a different lane. But in the spirit of experimenting, I let the car turn its signal on, wait several clicks, then slowly change into the slow lane all while a Volt was barreling down closing the gap. Volt ended up on my tailgate blocked in until I exited probably cursing my name.

I also had to cancel a lane change this morning when folks behind me got antsy and moved over at the same time as the car started the change. I tend to not do AP changes unless there is a huuuge gap and no one behind me for that reason - it can be a bit slow when dealing with LA drivers.

I will probably end up turning NoA back off and continue to wait before trying it again. Not really seeing the value yet.

I usually have it on, because it handles most freeway interchanges and exits very well, and just leave confirmation required for lane changes so I can decide yes/no on those- it's decent, but still not awesome, at deciding when changes make sense.

Az_Rael agree with your assessment. I had 2 times when the vehicle was signalling to enter the exit lane and it was so slow to actually start the lane change that cars would come from behind and change into the lane and force the car to abort the lane change. In one instance the car actually swerved a bit. I get it that the "by the book" way is check mirrors, signal, check mirrors again, then change lanes. But in real life this happens much more quickly.

Reactions: Az_Rael
I ended up disabling the no conf and just confirm the lane change when prompted.

While I am impressed with the lane suggestions, for whatever reason it takes FOREVER to make the lane change after suggesting it with no conf enabled. However, when it suggests a lane change and I confirm it, the lane change initiates almost immediately.

Reactions: Falkirk
I did a bunch of testing over the last two weeks and decided it’s very useful on non-crowded 4-lane freeways (2 lanes in each direction) such as I-5.
But around the Bay Area, given bad traffic and erratic behavior from other drivers, it’s too conservative at making lane changes so I’d rather initiate them myself.

Reactions: jrad6515
I moved the settings from Mad Max to Mild and I am happier. Turns out Mad Max doesn't change the speed of the lane change but reflects how easily annoyed one is about being stuck in the slow lane. The two higher settings caused the car to change lanes more than I would like. Often in Max mode, it would change-lanes-to-follow-route and then immediately change lanes back to use the faster lane.

I did notice that when the wheel shakes to prompt me that it's gonna change lanes it appears to be looking for me to jerk the wheel as an acknowledgment. Often when I felt it was taking too long changing lanes I looked at the screen and it was prompting me to grab the wheel. Now I just jerk the wheel in response to the vibration and it is much quicker.

It's still not driving like me, but then I am famous for leaving the express lane and driving straight across 5 lanes slipping between cars in all those lanes and onto the exit. When the car can do that I will retire.

-Randy