Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No-confirmation NOAP is here for the masses!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. It says will be available for people who purchased FSD. The only reference it says is vehicles made after Aug 2017 will have an option for the steering wheel to vibrate. That pretty much says it's for AP2 as well just without the dildo steering wheel. Did I read that incorrectly?
That's what it sounds like to me.

I wonder why they can't vibrate the steering wheel on AP 2 cars. We have the vibrating steering wheel if lane departure warning is enabled. Maybe this vibration is different? :confused:

Based on TeslaFi data, this is the first confirmed instance of 2019.8.5 firmware deployment:
04/04/2019 3:11 AM 2019.8.5 3aaa23d 2019.7.11 77ce4d4 Model3310 California United States 2.5

So I guess Tesla started to push the update sometime around midnight pacific time 04/04/2019, and someone got off the 7.11 train.

That isn't possible with the current architecture. The rear camera feed goes directly to the MCU to be overlaid on the screen. The side cameras aren't connected to the MCU at all. So to do that they would have to stream the side cameras from the APE to the MCU and I don't know if the network/CPU bandwidth is available to do that. (If it was possible it would probably only be on HW2.5 and above cars, since they get the video sent to the MCU to be stored on the USB drive. But can they decompress and play the video with the available CPU and UI?)

Are you absolutely positive of that as it applies to the Model 3 only?

As in HW2.5 with MCU2 because that's the only thing currently applicable to Model 3 owners.

My understanding is on MCU2 that the rear camera feed is fed to it from the network. So I don't see any reason why the Model 3 can't display camera feeds from any of the cameras.

Ok I just got firmware update 2019.8.5 and these new NOAP settings are here!
I took some screenshots of the release notes and settings, note that you have to disable lane change confirmation to get the lane change notification options:

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5195.jpg

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

Did you try it on an interchange/exit? I enabled NOA while using the HOV lane on my commute this morning. It indicated that it was going to initiate a lane change 3.5 miles before my exit, into a parking lot of general use lanes. I canceled NOA at that point as I don't see the need to move over that early. Wondering if I had just waited another 2 miles or so what would have happened.
Why don't you just tap the "cancel" on the screen... that will delay the lane change for a bit

Installed 8.5 and took it for a test drive. I gotta admit it's pretty cool. Really the first time I actually felt like FSD (at least on the freeway) is in reach.

Some comments, tho:
1) As someone else already posted it chimes to tell you it wants to change lanes, then it waits a couple seconds and turns on the blinker, then you get the "put your hands on the wheel" notice and flashing blue until you put some torque on the wheel. Until you do it won't change lanes. This actually made me keep my hands on the wheel MORE than when I had to confirm the lane change with the stalk.
2) Lane changes, as in 8.4, are an adventure. Of about a dozen lane changes that it did, it hesitated and took multiple "attempts" before completing the change on like 5 of them. One time it started to change, came back into the lane, started again, came back into the lane, and by the time it tried the 3rd time someone was coming up so fast from behind in the target lane that I had to grab the wheel to stop it from cutting the guy off.
3) In my opinion it changes in front of someone in situations that I wouldn't. I feel it needs to use the rear-facing cameras more to make sure someone isn't approaching from behind in the lane it's switching to.

Anyway - VERY exciting to see the progress!

Just based on my use of the existing NOA, which attempts to kill me on a daily basis. I actually really like autopilot when no lanes changes are needed but not when it comes to merging or changing lanes with mixed speed traffic.
I see comments like this a lot... I use NoA every day on my 40 mi r/t commute in Los Angeles. Never once has it "tried to kill me" - does it sometimes decide to abort a lane change? Yes. Sometimes slow down to avoid merging traffic when I would have sped up to do so? Yes. Maybe zig, when I would have zagged? yes, but only when either is a perfectly acceptable path.

Does it try to drive into a wall? No. Another car? no. Off the road? no.

I'm not saying that the thing won't ever make a mistake that could result in a crash. I'm saying that I find it hard to believe it's actually doing so "on a daily basis"