Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Connection to WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Just had a strange issue on my 2018 Model 3 today, the car showed it wasn't connected to my home WiFi and kept searching for networks but never found one. I opened Netflix, of which it didn't save my password so I had to enter that back in, and Netflix worked so I'm assuming it used the cell network. Did the two button scroll wheel reset and then my home Wifi was shown and the car was connected. I don't like when these kind of things pop up and then have to do the reset thing, because a while back when I did that I lost all my setting and had to manually set them all back up, even lost my lifetime kWh. Is the lifetime even in the new UI anymore, because I haven't found it.

Since I have the FSD beta I rarely get updates, so getting stuck at 50% isn't an issue for me. But I sure do miss getting updates, makes me almost want to bow out of the beta program, especially since I don't use it much because it makes city driving so stressful.

Coincidentally I realized I hadn't received an update in a long time either, so last night (before reading your post) I checked my car's WiFi connection and yeah, it wasn't connecting at all. I did a reboot and it fixed the problem. Yeah, I don't like resorting to reboots either because occasionally it will "forget" stuff, but that's probably going to happen sooner or later anyway.

Wifi stopped connecting on our 2018 3 LR a few weeks back. I did the two finger reboot and we lost all settings. Profiles, radio, seats, homelink. Even thought the car was in California until we drove it for a bit.

Tesla claimed it wasn’t a hardware issue, but a software bug.

Tesla claimed it wasn’t a hardware issue, but a software bug.
There seems to be a lot of software bugs lately and the downside to having a car like this. When are they going to fix it?! I really wish bugs would be fixed quickly, instead of adding more features or games. Tesla still hasn't even fixed the Dashcam Unavailable bug for FSD beta cars. Nor have they fixed the Dashcam Viewer bugs. What the frack are they waiting for?!

Do you have the FSD beta?
I do.

There seems to be a lot of software bugs lately and the downside to having a car like this. When are they going to fix it?! I really wish bugs would be fixed quickly, instead of adding more features or games. Tesla still hasn't even fixed the Dashcam Unavailable bug for FSD beta cars. Nor have they fixed the Dashcam Viewer bugs. What the frack are they waiting for?!
Yeah, you said it...it's the downside of having a car like this. It seems as if the software development teams care more about adding new features than keeping the software releases rock solid. Sometimes you get a release with a lot of bugs, then maybe they fix them, and then maybe they come back a year or so later. It's a bit of a double edged sword. My wife's ID4 had not received a single software update in over a year and a half, even though it supposedly has the ability. Granted, no new bugs introduced, but on the other side, no new features or bug fixes either!

I just found out I have the problem today because the app told me 2022.20.15 was ready to download if I connect to WiFi. I'm at my office today. The parking is right below the offices and usually has 5-bar WiFi, but the car couldn't find anything. I crosschecked on my iPhone which showed full bars for work WiFi plus several other nearby businesses. Double-wheel reboot brought the WiFi connection back and it started downloaded right away. I've read in several threads that this is a software bug. I wonder if the fix will make it into the FSD code line or we'll have to wait until the V11 merge.

I've read in several threads that this is a software bug. I wonder if the fix will make it into the FSD code line or we'll have to wait until the V11 merge.
Seems like Tesla is very slow to fix bugs. Just look at how long it took them to fix the Dashcam Unavailable issue. And they still haven't fixed the buggy Dashcam Viewer. Apparently adding more games to our cars take priority.