TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

No Console Insert/No Yacht Floor

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by caddieo, Aug 7, 2013.

1. caddieo

caddieo Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Palm Coast, FL
    After agonizing as to whether or not I should get a console insert, and whether I am missing out on not having the yacht floor, I realized that after 2-1/2 weeks of ownership that I was doing pretty well and not missing anything. I gradually ended up with the set-up pictured here. This is probably just me but these are my realizations:
    1. A full size Kleenex box jams up nicely and snugly against and underneath the front cubby leaving space underneath it for eye/sun glasses and an umbrella (no door pockets) or similar-sized objects. A second cubby, if you will, maintained by its contents.
    2. I found a fabric trash container with a waterproof lining, a weighted/velcro'ed bottom and a frame to keep its shape. Although the velcro is not the stickiest, it and the weight helps it keep its position and makes me glad I don't have the yacht floor. Note that it has side mesh pockets for small items. Since it fits the space just right, I do not have to use the floor for trash or hang trash bags from the dash.
    3. A second identical fabric trash container fits snugly under the rear end of the console for use of the rear passengers but may need a little additional velcro for stability.
    4. The stuff that I carry varies in bulk from day to day like a loaded fanny pack, an iPad messenger bag, my wife's varied purses, small bags of snacks or groceries, mail from the PO Box, etc. and makes me glad that I am not constrained to a specific number of cubic inches that would force me to use the floor or the passenger seat.
    5. The console cup holders accept perfectly the double-walled thermal drink containers that my wife and I use and after a few days of use, I have gotten used to the position so it is no longer an issue.
    6. I've read a lot of agonizing about phone placement and connection. However, I love the splendid isolation and pleasure of driving this car and couldn't care less about the rest of the world when driving except as it impacts my immediate surroundings, safety and progress. I use my phone only to send urgent messages - very rare - and keep it off except for a periodic check (when not driving) for messages. Phone connectivity and storage are not issues with me. Different strokes for different folks.
    That said, I am sure others will have their own configurations and quirks and it would be nice to see what other non-console-insert folks are doing.

Attached Files: