Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No cruise/AP after long day using sentry mode (Resolved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Santa Fe TX.
I was having a problem where my AP or even cruise control was not working after leaving work. I was also noting there was no speed limit signs being displayed.
This happen several days in a row last week and a couple of other time in the afternoon. I placed a service request through the app and noted the date and time this was happening. I also did a bug report the first few times. If I were to go out later that evening, AP and cruise would work as normal. My mobile appointment was scheduled for this Thursday. Yesterday I received a call from Tesla. The tech was able to locate the exact issue given the time frame and identified what was happening. So here's what's going on. Anytime the vehicle is sitting for an extended time using sentry mode, the vehicle will reboot the AP computer system. The primary AP computer would get hung up in this reboot. He mention the redundant computer would reboot but the primary computer was needed to process the data. I understood this to mean the redundant chip would maintain AP but the main system was needed to initiate the start. He mention they are aware of this and hope to have this resolved in an updated firmware.
Hope this helps anyone else that's experiencing the same issue. I still would recommend submitting a service so there are other documented cases.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe
So what exactly is the fix? Turning Sentry mode off and letting the car sleep?

I have an odd issue where ever since I got the FSD beta, my AP or cruise control does not work whatsoever. I always get 'Cruise Control Unavailable'. I can see speed limit signs, cones, traffic lights and lanes on my visualization screen but I do not see any other cars show up for some reason. I have tried letting the car sleep overnight (no sentry mode on) and unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. I'm thinking my update was busted and they need to re-push the software. I have an appointment for Monday, hoping they can fix it remotely.

Anytime the vehicle is sitting for an extended time using sentry mode, the vehicle will reboot the AP computer system. The primary AP computer would get hung up in this reboot.
Interesting. Our 2018 Model 3 LR RWD now with HW3 & FSD beta is never going to sleep because sentry mode is on at all times and locations when we aren’t in the car. (We live in an apt complex so I leave sentry mode on 24/7.) We haven’t yet experienced this issue (except the infamous 10.3 FSD beta rollout and subsequent rollback). Is there some other factor in the mix that causes yours to have this issue but not ours?

I have tried letting the car sleep overnight (no sentry mode on) and unfortunately this did not resolve the issue.
Do you have any 3rd party apps using the Tesla API to poll/wake up your car? If so, that could be preventing deep sleep (and therefore the rebooting of some systems upon wake up). Some of these (e.g. - Tezlab) have a deep sleep assist feature that can avoid car wake up, otherwise you may want to try disconnecting any 3rd party app from your Tesla account/API token.

Which build is installed in your car, and which car is it? You list 2 in your signature.
So sorry about that. This is from the Model Y and it's currently on 2021.32.22.

So what exactly is the fix? Turning Sentry mode off and letting the car sleep?

I have an odd issue where ever since I got the FSD beta, my AP or cruise control does not work whatsoever. I always get 'Cruise Control Unavailable'. I can see speed limit signs, cones, traffic lights and lanes on my visualization screen but I do not see any other cars show up for some reason. I have tried letting the car sleep overnight (no sentry mode on) and unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. I'm thinking my update was busted and they need to re-push the software. I have an appointment for Monday, hoping they can fix it remotely.
I remember reading somewhere and having an issue myself with smart summon that a quick fix was to turn off sentry mode and smart summon would work. I didn't have luck with this and I would find it to not work, well at work. So I think the same thing was happening where the AP computer may not have been working correctly and smart summon was not available. Any other location through out the evening smart summon would work but at work it would not. So, I think the same thing maybe happening where sentry is keeping the car awake and the AP computers for some reason are programed to reboot or need to reboot after being awake for the full day.

In your example I think there maybe other concerns considering that you can see the speed limit signs. My issue would always be a combination of no cruise or AP and no speed signs.

Do you have any 3rd party apps using the Tesla API to poll/wake up your car? If so, that could be preventing deep sleep (and therefore the rebooting of some systems upon wake up). Some of these (e.g. - Tezlab) have a deep sleep assist feature that can avoid car wake up, otherwise you may want to try disconnecting any 3rd party app from your Tesla account/API token.
I do, but I turned them off and confirmed that the car was asleep (in the morning I went to the Tesla app and it took a long time to connect saying 'Waking up car' or something along those lines.

I put in a service request and they re-pushed the software to my car. Unfortunately, even after reinstalling the latest software I still do not see other cars so I think I need to bring my car in to a service center. Extremely frustrating.