Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Cruise Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trad8

Apr 28, 2022
NYC
My 22 MX LR does not seem to have cruise control. I can activate Autosteer / Autopilot by pushing the right yoke scroll wheel, but I can't get the car to simply cruise (ie. maintain a set speed). My 18 M3 LR does this on the first flick of the drive stick, the second takes you into autopilot. Both cars have FSD. How weird is that? Anyone else have this problem (or should I say "puzzling lack of a basic feature of all cars I've ever driven")?

And for those of you wondering why I'd want cruise control but not autopilot - autopilot will disengage in certain circumstances but I may still want to maintain a set speed.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the butterfly controls, so I can't help there, but I should imagine the manual would tell you how to engage TACC as well as AP.

Regardless, when AP is enabled and you take over with steering force, it drops back to TACC. AFAIK, this has been the case since AP1 was introduced, and it hasn't changed even in the FSD beta (where speed may adjust during the transititon).

Are you suggesting that you cannot break free of AP via steering force without TACC disengaging?

My 22 MX LR does not seem to have cruise control. I can activate Autosteer / Autopilot by pushing the right yoke scroll wheel, but I can't get the car to simply cruise (ie. maintain a set speed). My 18 M3 LR does this on the first flick of the drive stick, the second takes you into autopilot. Both cars have FSD. How weird is that? Anyone else have this problem (or should I say "puzzling lack of a basic feature of all cars I've ever driven")?

And for those of you wondering why I'd want cruise control but not autopilot - autopilot will disengage in certain circumstances but I may still want to maintain a set speed.
I never thought about this but you're right i havent seen the option for just cruise control. I typically still use autopilot, keep my foot on the accelerator in situations where i feel like it would disengage.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the butterfly controls, so I can't help there, but I should imagine the manual would tell you how to engage TACC as well as AP.

Regardless, when AP is enabled and you take over with steering force, it drops back to TACC. AFAIK, this has been the case since AP1 was introduced, and it hasn't changed even in the FSD beta (where speed may adjust during the transititon).

Are you suggesting that you cannot break free of AP via steering force without TACC disengaging?
Or this video...

That is correct, when you take over it drops to full manual