TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No dash gauges and air vents.... :-(

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by cashie, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Is no seperate dash display (HUD or 2nd Screen) a purchase blocker?

1. Yes

15.8%
  2. No

84.2%
  1. cashie

cashie Member

With the recent news from Elon that a HUD is not likely, and that all but confirming the centre screen will be the only display for speed, energy etc has got me rethinking my reservation.
    Am I the only one that feels this could be a deal breaker for their purchase of the Model 3?
    One of the major aspects of Teslas is the technology and being able to see and monitor it...
    This coupled with the concept cars last year showing no air vents (I like air on my face) is really making me worried I mightn't be purchasing the 3, a car I've waited years for.
    Is anyone else in the same boat?

• Funny x 2
  2. AZGirl

AZGirl Member

Absolutely not.

• Like x 1
  3. Xevex

Xevex Member

I personally don't like HUD. Tried a few times with direction and speed showing but it's just annoying quite frankly. Makes harder to concentrate on the road and the situation around.

• Like x 1
  4. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

I voted no. The purchase blocker was the first screen.

• Like x 1
  5. ElectroCat

ElectroCat Member

Have a 2003 Toyota Echo with a center display.
    1: Got used to it by the time I was out of the dealers lot.
    2: No need to be constantly monitoring speed, if you are you are not paying attention to the road.
    3: I like the center display as it removes a major distraction from the business of driving.
    4: As many have said if you don't like the way the car is designed cancel your reservation.

• Like x 6
    • Disagree x 1
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Or, wait until you actually get more details and videos on it and then cancel your reservation.
    Or, wait until you can actually experience it for yourself and make a decision.

• Like x 5
  7. kzod

kzod Member

C'mon guys pay attention. There are vents there, and you will have a fan. It might not be able to aim as well as old style vents, but do you constantly have a fan pointed at your head at all times? Right now? At work? No. You like it in a car because the interior temp is typically far off of the desired temp. The Tesla can keep it cozy before you get in.

• Like x 3
  8. trm2

trm2 Member

Actually yes, I have a fan pointed at me at work - right there on my desk is a cheap air purifier/fan. Multiple fans if you include the fans on my desktops and laptop :)

• Like x 1
  9. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

I love this narrative... keep them coming...
    There has to be more reasons to cancel or at least delay your respective deliveries. Like, I for one, think all/most or at least a larger percentage of current owners should be deciding to wait for dual motors and/or performance upgrades...but that's just my opinion.

10. strider

strider Active Member

• Like x 3
  11. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

It definitely makes it less likely that I will follow through on my purchase.

upload_2017-4-1_12-56-29.png

To answer Elon's question, the same number of times I have been interested in buying a taxi. ZERO!

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 3
  12. dchuck

dchuck Member

+1 Sonny Daze

Don't care about a HUD, and the lack thereof will not change my mind on the Model 3. But that rationalization is totally off the mark.

• Like x 4
  13. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

We had a thread about the lack of air vents awhile back and one of reasons it may work really well is the ability to set the cars temperature remotely before you arrive at the car.
    The only reason I sometimes point a dashboard air vent at me is when I'm waiting for the car to either warm up (winter) or cool down (summer) and its taking too long. Temporarily adjusting the vent helps but by remotely setting the temperature before arriving at the car that need should be a lot less.
    Model 3- No standard dashboard air vents

14. derekmw

derekmw Member

I tend to sweat in my arm pits regardless of whether the overall temperature is comfortable or not. On long drives, I have the vents pointed to go down my arms into my shirt. I know this is TMI (I figured I'd never see any of you in real life anyway) but it just exaplins at least why someone may want a vent that you can aim. lol

• Like x 1
  15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I rented a Prius for a week a few years back and couldn't stand the way everything was skewed over to the right.

16. richrootes

richrootes Member

Are you bored with pointless polls?

*Yes
    *No

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  17. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I know I've said this before but almost didn't buy my Pruis V because of that but after a few weeks I adapted and now when I drive a car with the display behind the steering wheel I can't stand it.
    We're more adaptable than we think.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I was already used to the benefits of keeping my head still (bowling, touch-typing), so the Prius' central display was never a problem for me. In fact, I don't even remember thinking the position strange or having an adjustment period.

But, one significant thing about the Prius is that the central display is quite high and far ahead of you. So there's a shallow angle. From the shots I've seen of the Model 3, while the top left of the display looks a bit lower, it still seems like it will be easy to glance without moving your head.

19. Lem89

Lem89 Member

Prius speedometer is embedded high on dash with good sight lines
    maxresdefault.jpg

From this angle, Model 3's speedo on center screen doesn't seem like a big deal. With that said, it will be strange not seeing turn signals in front of me.
    tesla-model-3-interior.jpg

• Informative x 1
  20. Big-T

Big-T Member

I think we found a new uername for you ;)