TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No dash screen -- only 15" touchscreen?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by proven, Mar 31, 2016.

1. proven

proven Member

Did I miss something or is there no dash screen in the car? I only saw the horizontal 15" touchscreen in both the periscope test ride and reveal video.

2. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

Yes, I noticed the same thing. Tesla rep seemed to confirm it too.

Only a prototype though...plenty of time for that to be rectified. I hope!

• Like x 1
  3. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

I would also prefer a dual display setup... but, that's tradition talking. I accept change pretty easily though, I'll get used to 1 display pretty fast... on the other hand, that expanse of empty dash space... I might not get used to that so quickly.

4. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

I would hope for a decent HUD instead of a secondary screen.

• Like x 9
  5. proven

proven Member

Watching the test ride video closely it looks like they put the speed info in the top left corner of the 15" screen.

6. cashie

cashie Member

Me too, I would like to see a decent HUD for speed and charge etc.

7. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I actually think it's pretty clever. Cost-saving, yet elegant and minimalist. Also works with LHD or RHD. Just need to change the software config to display the speed/range/etc. on one side or the other.

• Like x 2
  8. tga

tga Active Member

I've driven a Mini for years with the center speedometer. It's downright annoying. You're taking useful information that you want to see often and moving it out of your line of sight and putting it "way over there". It sucks.

The LHD/RHD excuse worked in the old days when you had lots of mechanical linkages to the gauges. Now it's just a single CAN bus. Totally trivial to move an LCD around.

• Like x 3
  9. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

I can't really see this happening. Having one screen is a cool idea but you really need a cluster by the steering wheel to show emergency info and car status when the main screen is not working and or the OS running the main screen is not working.

10. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

It's a prototype, they are 2 years away from delivering this car (Despite claiming Dec 2017, it's "Tesla Time")
    The fact the car is so far along is impressive.. many things can/will change by the time it gets to production.

11. Tina C

Tina C Member

I would feel safer with a secondary display in front of the driver for the essentials like speed & battery. They get lost in big screen. What if the big screen froze up? Plus at night I would want to seriously dim or turn off the big screen. Plus there is the emptiness of the dashboard. I would like the big screen to look more built in, not just like it got stuck on the dash as an afterthought.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
  12. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

In one of the test ride videos, the driver/designer confirmed there will be no dash or HUD. It's a combination of cost saving and space saving...can't have it all!

13. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

In a video on the verge the same driver answers an explicit question about the dash. He sort of confirms the configuration as intentional and ready to move into production.

• Informative x 1
  14. Infoe

Infoe Member

Unless head of engineering who answered the question plans on changing it. Get used to it. The future is now. It's one display with speedometer in top left corner. I love Model S center display but what can we do

• Like x 1
  15. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

So when the screen is not working or the OS running the screen locks up you'll know nothing about the car speed etc.

16. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Just hold both shortcut steering wheel buttons together and the screen resets. My screen has never frozen on me btw, *knocks on wood

• Like x 2
  17. Tina C

Tina C Member

Another thought on it only being a prototype - where are the air vents for the AC?

• Helpful x 1
  18. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

Mine has reset spontaneously a couple times.

• Like x 1
  19. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

#19 neroden, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    The display as presented is non-functional. Under high-glare conditions, the speedometer will not be readable. The speedometer is also not large enough. However, I am sure they can rectify this with a fairly simple plastic shroud, and some software changes, before final production.

I've driven a car with an offset, centered instrument cluster. It works OK, but the anti-glare shroud is essential.

It's quite clear the interior is a prototype. Everything is in *roughly* the same places they'll be in the final version but they've got a lot of detail work to do.

Remember the Model S prototype? It also had a "floating" screen which people didn't like, and it was more built-in by the final version. Expect the same.

• Like x 3
  20. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

Relevant to note that the Model X prototype had a "floating" MCU design that was nixed before production and faux air vents.
    I think its safe to say we'll see some sort of changes to these regards before production as well.