Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No dash screen -- only 15" touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would also prefer a dual display setup... but, that's tradition talking. I accept change pretty easily though, I'll get used to 1 display pretty fast... on the other hand, that expanse of empty dash space... I might not get used to that so quickly.

I've driven a Mini for years with the center speedometer. It's downright annoying. You're taking useful information that you want to see often and moving it out of your line of sight and putting it "way over there". It sucks.

The LHD/RHD excuse worked in the old days when you had lots of mechanical linkages to the gauges. Now it's just a single CAN bus. Totally trivial to move an LCD around.

I can't really see this happening. Having one screen is a cool idea but you really need a cluster by the steering wheel to show emergency info and car status when the main screen is not working and or the OS running the main screen is not working.

I would feel safer with a secondary display in front of the driver for the essentials like speed & battery. They get lost in big screen. What if the big screen froze up? Plus at night I would want to seriously dim or turn off the big screen. Plus there is the emptiness of the dashboard. I would like the big screen to look more built in, not just like it got stuck on the dash as an afterthought.

The display as presented is non-functional. Under high-glare conditions, the speedometer will not be readable. The speedometer is also not large enough. However, I am sure they can rectify this with a fairly simple plastic shroud, and some software changes, before final production.

I've driven a car with an offset, centered instrument cluster. It works OK, but the anti-glare shroud is essential.

It's quite clear the interior is a prototype. Everything is in *roughly* the same places they'll be in the final version but they've got a lot of detail work to do.

I would like the big screen to look more built in, not just like it got stuck on the dash as an afterthought.

Remember the Model S prototype? It also had a "floating" screen which people didn't like, and it was more built-in by the final version. Expect the same.

Last edited: