Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No dash screen -- only 15" touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the video talking about there being only one screen and the fact that it's floating to allow for better air flow:

I personally also think it looks stuck on, but then again Mercedes is proud of they glued-on ipad design and some people like it. Interestingly I'd be more worried about software updates - think how often Model S got a cluster update vs. IVI update. They are tested to different standards (I've had the large screen reboot, partially stop working or crawl along at glacial speeds until reboot - not something acceptable in an instrument cluster).
Why in Heaven's name do they have 'music' on when they're talking to people about the car??

Reactions: Transepoch
For those that say they "need" instruments directly in front because it's faster to look at, your eye movements are equally fast in a glance down and straight as opposed to down and right. You are just conditioned to do the former.
Well, I've had 8 years of "un-conditioning" driving the Mini, and it's still annoying...

It actually takes longer for me to use the instruments in my car, because I have to scan for the speedometer needle, then check the gauge and then estimate if I'm at 44 or 46.
Back in the 80's when all-digital displays came into vogue, there were several studies that showed your brain could parse analog gauges with needles faster than digital displays of numbers.

It's easier to scan temp/oil pressure/voltmeter/fuel and notice "All gauges point in the middle - all systems OK" and "the tach is ~2k below redline" than to have to see a digital display, have to read numbers, and internally compare to ideal values ("60psi oil - OK, 40 is the minimum, so we're good") - an analog gauge does the range comparison visually, and you rarely need to know exact values, just rough approximations.

Admittedly, there are fewer systems to monitor in an EV, so this is less of an issue than for ICE. But when monitoring multiple pieces of data, cognitive processing works faster for analog than digital.

Give me a HUD for speed and nav, and I'm happy.

Well yes, because the Mini instrument "thing" is a complicated design abomination of a hundred different graphical distractions, instead of a simple digital speed readout. :D
Nope, just a big ~6" analog gauge with a single needle. Yes, there are a bunch of idiot lights there, but they never turn on. Actually, that's where the fuel/temp gauges are, so there's a few minor distractions. And I spend a bit of mental energy monitoring the temp gauge, out of distrust of 12 year old hoses! :eek:

I agree that the 'stuck on' iPad looking display looks terrible, and I'd really miss the driver's instrument cluster. Or I could easily live with a nice HUD. That's my primary complaint about the 3. I also think the snout and trunk could use a bit more refining....didn't bowl me over. All that said, I did get in a reservation yesterday.

I don't think that's what the final display will look look like. Elon said this was just the first part and will reveal the 2nd part as it nears production, therefore the final will probably have a dash similar to the S and/or X along with a nice big screen in the middle of the console and not protruding out like we saw last night.

If they don't implement a dash behind the wheel then I imagine they will be going with some kind of HUD that will appear on the bottom of the windshield.

I get why Tesla have done this; (in addition to the obvious cost saving) the driver could not be moved forward from the rear passengers' legs if you had the depth of a conventional instrument binnacle in front.

However, I'm certainly not pleased with the results; that this is close to final design alarms me. Quite apart from the dramatic violation of the "no weirdmobiles" rule, I have serious concerns about usability.

This isn't even equivalent to those annoying centre instrument layouts. At least they present primary information simply and separated from distractions. Here we have main instruments overlaid on a 15" screen that's busy as can be; that UI looked far too cluttered for the purpose.

No, I would far rather have seen even a small second screen in front of the driver, presenting the most relevant information - speed, battery state, odo/trip, power in/out, warnings/cautions. Ideally, navigation prompts. Autopilot status probably ought to be there too, when active.

Also, what about glare? Primary instruments have cowls for a reason, especially when they're LCDs.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, the NEW Mini (the BMW one) NOW HAS got a speedometer mounted just behind the steering wheel. I hope the "single display" will go the way of "no centre console" as I note the new S now has a centre console.

For me, the big issue is going to be reflections and "bleach out" of the display in strong sunlight. With that glass roof and the sun behind how much of the single screen will be masked by reflections or glare. The "drivers dash" is usually deeply hooded to restrict glare and to aid visibility. The test drives were done at night where this problem would not show up.

I really wanted to put my reservation money down, but, as it stands I have been put off the car AT THIS TIME. Things may, and hopefully will change, which would change my view.

• Informative
Reactions: JER and ironwaffle
What if they allowed you to bluetooth connect your phone to the car and had an app that displayed the speed, etc? That way, anyone who really wanted gauges could mount their smart phone or tablet at the base of the windshield or on the dash and call up the app. The current Tesla app displays your speed when you're driving. I specifically checked this on the way to work this morning. While cruising down the highway, my app said "driving 72 mph." Maybe even a third party developer could do this and design it to display the speed nice and large. If anybody does this, can I please have 6 cents per app sold for coming up with the idea:)

I have a hard time with them saying it'll be such a safe car and then making you move your eyes down AND to the right to check your speed. That's WAY more distracting...

A HUD or second screen in front of the driver is practically ESSENTIAL. I can see it being an option for the "tech package" but this has to be the one major disappointment I have about the unveiling.

Years ago I started using a Garmin GPS. It is mounted in my car, just a little higher than where that screen is in the Model 3. I've grown very accustomed to viewing my speed via the much easier to read and more accurate GPS screen and barely ever use the actual instruments anymore. It actually takes longer for me to use the instruments in my car, because I have to scan for the speedometer needle, then check the gauge and then estimate if I'm at 44 or 46. For those that say they "need" instruments directly in front because it's faster to look at, your eye movements are equally fast in a glance down and straight as opposed to down and right. You are just conditioned to do the former.

I think that the screen + HUD would be ideal, as that would take away the "looking down" part entirely for basics like speed and GPS directions.

Screen + HUD ( even a minimal HUD that shows speed, battery condition and general alerts & so-on ) would be fine.

Reactions: jkk_
I would feel safer with a secondary display in front of the driver for the essentials like speed & battery. They get lost in big screen. What if the big screen froze up? Plus at night I would want to seriously dim or turn off the big screen. Plus there is the emptiness of the dashboard. I would like the big screen to look more built in, not just like it got stuck on the dash as an afterthought.
@Tina C - I agree with you assessment of the M3 prototype dashboard. I would like what you stated above but could live with something less functional.

Reactions: Tina C
All this hub-bub over an enormous screen with the speed clearly displayed in your line of vision. You are not looking down at the lower part of the screen. You as the driver would be glancing at the upper left corner of the screen that is at the height of the upper half of the steering wheel. Do you know what's at that height? a typical dash. Except this one isn't partially hidden behind a steering wheel.The screen because it's in landscape comes much closer to the driver side than the portrait style model S/x screen. Glare could be a concern.

Do you remember the fury over the Model s touch screen? (I need buttons/you can crash while driving etc) I do! but now every car manufacturer is copying them.

Last edited:
First time poster, so pardon some clumsiness here.

These two posts pretty much sum up my concern. Having driven a Prius since 2011, I've adapted to having my gauges off to my right but I'm still not a fan. The only other thing I'd add to the posts quoted below is something I noticed while recently checking out the new Prius. Some of the gauges I regularly use in the simpler LCD panel are now mixed in with the Prius's "GPS" screen, which means having to toggle more often for things that are generally "at a glance." To my mind that adds to the potential for distracted driving.

Additionally, Toyota has a phone app which seems required for some features to be read. I could be wrong on that since the model I rode in and the salesperson didn't have great depth of knowledge on this. Since the app required being connected to the car's VIN, I couldn't test the app; all I could go by was its 1.5 star iTunes review -- hardly a vote of confidence. As someone posted, I'm sure some entrepreneurial app developer (like the one who posts here with his excellent Tesla remote app) can fill the gap but for very basic info that seems like an over-complicated option and phones would need tighter integration with Tesla's OS, which I don't see happening.

That said, I'm glad I stood in line for my reservation yesterday. You could say I have no reservation about that. This lack of cluster/HUD is not likely to change my mind but it has dampened my enthusiasm a touch. Still, I'm excited to follow the next 12-18(?) months' refinements -- particularly in regards to the instrument panel.

I get why Tesla have done this; (in addition to the obvious cost saving) the driver could not be moved forward from the rear passengers' legs if you had the depth of a conventional instrument binnacle in front.

However, I'm certainly not pleased with the results; that this is close to final design alarms me. Quite apart from the dramatic violation of the "no weirdmobiles" rule, I have serious concerns about usability.

This isn't even equivalent to those annoying centre instrument layouts. At least they present primary information simply and separated from distractions. Here we have main instruments overlaid on a 15" screen that's busy as can be; that UI looked far too cluttered for the purpose.

No, I would far rather have seen even a small second screen in front of the driver, presenting the most relevant information - speed, battery state, odo/trip, power in/out, warnings/cautions. Ideally, navigation prompts. Autopilot status probably ought to be there too, when active.

Also, what about glare? Primary instruments have cowls for a reason, especially when they're LCDs.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, the NEW Mini (the BMW one) NOW HAS got a speedometer mounted just behind the steering wheel. I hope the "single display" will go the way of "no centre console" as I note the new S now has a centre console.

For me, the big issue is going to be reflections and "bleach out" of the display in strong sunlight. With that glass roof and the sun behind how much of the single screen will be masked by reflections or glare. The "drivers dash" is usually deeply hooded to restrict glare and to aid visibility. The test drives were done at night where this problem would not show up.

Reactions: JER
I'm undecided on this. On the one hand, I love the minimalist, spaceship looking interior. I like how Franz and Elon are anti-buttons/lights/fru fru crap everywhere. I once had a VW that lit up like a christmas tree when you turned on the headlights. It was gaudy.

I also think that you don't need the HUD as much as you think when you're on autopilot. I use AP 95% of my commute and have the freedom to look at and use the center screen.

I am trying to figure out how they will integrate what is currently displayed in the HUD during AP though - the car, cars around you, sensor readings, etc if it is not on a HUD. It seems that center screen could get mighty busy if you also are using navigation and want to see your music. Maybe you won't be able to have all displayed at once - or it will be simple (it is on the S) to switch between views and so it won't matter.

Maybe something projected onto the glass in lieu of a HUD would work - but that seems like it would be expensive.