Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have missed it, but I have looked through the threads quite a bit to see if anyone else has gotten a new Tesla where the Dashcam didn't work from the get go. I have seen several people have issues with software updates or failed/corrupted USBs causing the issue, but they all had it working at one point.

I had an SSD ready to go to test during pick up as many had suggested on this forum, but when they called me to pick it up 5 days early while I was already out, I was too excited to go back home!

Anyway, I have been through the manual several times. After exhausting the USB and SSD options I already had on hand (I work in tech so I am a bit of a tech hoarder) I bit the bullet and bought one called out as a known, good option in the actual Tesla MY manual and a couple suggested on this forum.

• I have tried formatting on both a PC and my Mac
  • I have tried not formatting and seeing if the Tesla onboard option picked it up
  • I have rebooted the car
  • I have called my local service center only to be told to try again after the 2020.24.6.8 updated - I did and NOPE
  • I have chatted with Tesla support and told to try a USB 2.0 (not just backwards compatible 3.0) USB - same as previous, though I also told them if the one they have in the manual didn't work, I shouldn't have to go lower tech
  • I have a mobile service appointment in a few days, but given the support I have gotten, I am not giving up on trying everything myself
  • I have also tested just putting music on the USB to see if it would even read that, and it did not

Have tried the following (several others from my personal stash too):
  1. SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - 64 GB - From the MY manual
  2. Pure Tesla USB stick with microSD - Forum suggested
  3. Seagate 2 TB SSD USB 3.0
  4. SanDisk Ultra Flair 3.0 USB - 64 GB
  5. SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQNR-128G-Difini Micro SD Card Reader, TF Memory Card Camera Reader Adapter Lightning Connector, External Storage Memory Expansion Compatible iPhone/iPad/Android Phones/Mac/PC, 3 in 1 (Black) - Forum suggested
I would appreciate any help, I really am hoping it is user error and there is something I am missing or haven't tried. Attaching some pics to show format info for the one from the manual and the security screen with it plugged in. I have a June 2020 MY with the USB-C and USB A ports which both work fine for power.

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 11.14.29 AM.png
IMG_3217.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 11.13.00 AM.jpeg
IMG_3225.jpeg

...I have chatted with Tesla support and told to try a USB 2.0 (not just backwards compatible 3.0) USB - same as previous, though I also told them if the one they have in the manual didn't work, I shouldn't have to go lower tech...

You are correct that the manual contradicts the Tesla support's advice.

I don't see what you did wrong. You did what I did:

1) format in fat32
2) create a folder called "TeslaCam"

Plug it in and If the drive is incompatible, there would be an error message saying you need a faster drive.

If there's no error message, a camera icon should appear next to the Sentry icon.

Well you have tried most of what I would have suggested. Checking for USB power. Checking if music files (MP3 or FLAC) can been seen and used.

Have you tried completing wiping the USB drive, deleting all its partitions, re-partition again to ensure a single partition and then a full (not quick, but full) format in either FAT32 or exFAT?

I've heard something about newer version of FAT32 and issues in other posts, so trying exFAT is worth a shot.

Also have you tried using a USB hub in between?

And trying simple USB 2.0 to avoid any hiccups with USB 3.x

Reactions: MP3Mike
The odd thing is not being able to play music from USB. As long as the USB drive is properly partitioned and formatted, then any supported MP3 or FLAC encoded audio file should be seen and playable. That is what I did as part of my checkout on delivery day. And I used a fancier Sandisk iXpand 128GB USB 3.0 with extra lightning connector flash drive, formatted with exFAT, something I use to transfer files between my computer and phone. So not a simple USB 2.0 drive. That worked on day 1, no updates needed to my MY.

One thing I have noticed is that I had multiple issues with wrapping not being completely removed from components before they were installed, like it was done in a hurry. Saw it with exterior trim, interior trim, so could be with USB too.

Have you also inspected the USB port to make sure nothing is in there to prevent electrical contact on all pins? No extra plastic or carpet fibers? You said you had power, and you are not seeing the drive, so are the data connections being blocked? Data is the 2 inside pins on USB-A.

And does it make any difference if the USB drive has a name or not? And if it has a name, short or long make any difference? Perhaps try it without a name, or make sure name is short like TESLACAM or SAMSUNG64GB? 11 chars or less, no special chars, keep it simple...

Well you have tried most of what I would have suggested. Checking for USB power. Checking if music files (MP3 or FLAC) can been seen and used.

Have you tried completing wiping the USB drive, deleting all its partitions, re-partition again to ensure a single partition and then a full (not quick, but full) format in either FAT32 or exFAT?
--yes, soooooo many times and I switched to 2 passes instead of the fastest on my Mac. What I have not tried is exFAT. Just started that reformat with 3 passes to try.

I've heard something about newer version of FAT32 and issues in other posts, so trying exFAT is worth a shot.
--reformatted to exFAT as we speak, thanks!

Also have you tried using a USB hub in between?
--yes I have

And trying simple USB 2.0 to avoid any hiccups with USB 3.x
--yes I have :(

And does it make any difference if the USB drive has a name or not? And if it has a name, short or long make any difference? Perhaps try it without a name, or make sure name is short like TESLACAM or SAMSUNG64GB? 11 chars or less, no special chars, keep it simple...
--I have done TESLA, I have done TESLACAM, I have done it without naming it...

The odd thing is not being able to play music from USB. As long as the USB drive is properly partitioned and formatted, then any supported MP3 or FLAC encoded audio file should be seen and playable. That is what I did as part of my checkout on delivery day. And I used a fancier Sandisk iXpand 128GB USB 3.0 with extra lightning connector flash drive, formatted with exFAT, something I use to transfer files between my computer and phone. So not a simple USB 2.0 drive. That worked on day 1, no updates needed to my MY.

One thing I have noticed is that I had multiple issues with wrapping not being completely removed from components before they were installed, like it was done in a hurry. Saw it with exterior trim, interior trim, so could be with USB too.

Have you also inspected the USB port to make sure nothing is in there to prevent electrical contact on all pins? No extra plastic or carpet fibers? You said you had power, and you are not seeing the drive, so are the data connections being blocked? Data is the 2 inside pins on USB-A.

Just went out and inspected it, I can't see anything preventing the contact

Can you try (no sexual jokes please) inserting and removing it multiple times? There's been situations with the Taptes hub where there's poor contact and some friction was needed to make a better metal contract. Maybe something like this is happening with your setup.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy
Make sure it’s TeslaCam and not all caps.

Also since you are not getting anything, there’s a good chance that the USB module or even the connection behind the wall are not connected. I have read of both of these issues.

Are you getting power to the Wireless Phone Charger?

Fred

I would ask someone with a working dashcam drive to try it in your Y. You can ask someone here, a co-worker, hang-out at your local Supercharger, or Starbucks, .. [lots of options].

I use a Samsung T7 500GB (came formatted as exFAT, mkdir TeslaCam) via USB-C.