Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would ask someone with a working dashcam drive to try it in your Y. You can ask someone here, a co-worker, hang-out at your local Supercharger, or Starbucks, .. [lots of options].

I use a Samsung T7 500GB (came formatted as exFAT, mkdir TeslaCam) via USB-C.

Just moved here and I am literally the only person I know IRL that has a Tesla. The closest supercharger is at the Tesla delivery center 45 min away, but it is a great idea. The Utah Tesla group is pretty awesome, I might be able to find someone close to try one of my myriad of formatted drives! I am re-formatting one of them in exFAT now to give that a try.

I am. The wireless charger is plugged into the USB C, but I also tested that power works from the USB A port.
Ok I’m going to give you a link for an older Fat32 format, from what I have read is that Tesla uses the older Fat32 format. I’ve used this one and it worked very well for me.

1. DO NOT add a Drive name, leave this blank
2. You can use the Fast format
3. Once done, add that new folder TeslaCam

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

...I have also tested just putting music on the USB to see if it would even read that, and it did not..

That doesn't sound like a TeslaCam problem because you can't even play music.

If you can't play music, then it may indicate there's a data bus problem.

...Tesla MY manual and a couple suggested on this forum...

The manual says TeslaCam folder should be at "base-level" or root directory and NOT sub-directory.

By looking at your picture, I am not sure you followed that:

Drive Name: Samsung Flash Drive FIT Media

Root directory folder name: TeslaSamSun

Sub-Directory under that "TeslaSamSun" folder name: TeslaCam

Last edited:
One thing that I have to add - When you plug in the USB drive, it takes quite a while (minutes!) for the dash cam icon to show up, or if not enabled, that it allows you to enable it in the settings.
I also thought my external Sandisk 1TB SSD that I use wasn't working, but it just takes a while after plugging it in.

I had same problem when i took delivery of my model y a few days ago. Not only was the DashCam not working, but didn’t read multiple drives which I’d been using in my model 3. USB did show up in the options for music and the files were visible. Tried a few things, nothing worked. First software upgrade after connecting to wifi fixed the problem and hasn’t been seen since.

I couldn't get dashcam to work from the USB-C side.
but works from the USB-A side
That's probably your USB drive problem, not the USB port problem. I'm using 2 TB LaCie SSD (cheaper than Samsung) on USB-C for dashcam and 128 GB Patriot USB stick on USB-A for music. Both are formatted as exFAT and work well so far. I occasionally lose connection to the SSD (dashcam), in which case I just disconnect it and reconnect and it recognizes the SSD and activates dashcam again instantly.

That's probably your USB drive problem, not the USB port problem. I'm using 2 TB LaCie SSD (cheaper than Samsung) on USB-C for dashcam and 128 GB Patriot USB stick on USB-A for music. Both are formatted as exFAT and work well so far. I occasionally lose connection to the SSD (dashcam), in which case I just disconnect it and reconnect and it recognizes the SSD and activates dashcam again instantly.
Or maybe the USB-C wire behind the panel is not properly connected?

Update: Tesla Mobile service just left my house and confirmed it is an issue with my car. They have a few options starting with replacing the hub all the way to having to replace my car’s computer. Hopefully it is simply the hub. They have it ordered, so we shall see!

I had same problem when i took delivery of my model y a few days ago. Not only was the DashCam not working, but didn’t read multiple drives which I’d been using in my model 3. USB did show up in the options for music and the files were visible. Tried a few things, nothing worked. First software upgrade after connecting to wifi fixed the problem and hasn’t been seen since.
I’ve had 3 software updates since I got her and no such luck. They did al kinds of remote troubleshooting with me to no avail. Confirmed it is my car’s hardware today :(

Update: Tesla Mobile service just left my house and confirmed it is an issue with my car. They have a few options starting with replacing the hub all the way to having to replace my car’s computer. Hopefully it is simply the hub. They have it ordered, so we shall see!

Good news I guess, glass half full. If you could get any info on that hub they may need to replace, that would be good.

I have an exFAT formatted USB 2.0 flash drive on the USB-A port for my music, and on the USB-C side I have a USB-C hub that I use to connect an exFAT formatted USB 3.0 SSD for TeslaCam. That USB-C hub also has a USB-C PD port that is 100W output capable (20V 5A), so I am trying to connect my Tesla wireless charging pad (WC2 - 9V 3A) to this PD connection but no go, cannot charge my phone via this connection. I can charge if Tesla WC2 direct to USB-C port in car (as shipped), but not if I add a USB-C hub in between even though the hub has PD port with enough output power. No idea why, must be the WC2 not liking the hub or something else inside. Would be good to know what is inside, if there is a hub, when you get it serviced. Thx.

On your Mac, format the USB's "primary" drive using the "Erase" command. Don't do the "sub-drive"
Your screenshot included with arrows for reference.
teslacam-arrows.jpg