Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No dashcam video clips being stored on properly formatted Samsung flash drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive. I used guiformat to format it as FAT32 and created the TeslaCam folder as shown in the picture. I inserted it into the right USB port and have what I assume is the camera icon in the upper right corner. It turns red when I press it and black when I press a second time. I've received several Sentry incident notifications and driven 20-30 miles, but the folder is still completely empty. Is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot this drive? I know the most common error is improper formatting, but as far as I can tell it's correct. Two more data points: the camera icon was there before I installed a USB drive at all, and I've never received an error after connecting the drive to the USB port.

TeslaCam.png

I purchased a Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive. I used guiformat to format it as FAT32 and created the TeslaCam folder as shown in the picture. I inserted it into the right USB port and have what I assume is the camera icon in the upper right corner. It turns red when I press it and black when I press a second time. I've received several Sentry incident notifications and driven 20-30 miles, but the folder is still completely empty. Is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot this drive? I know the most common error is improper formatting, but as far as I can tell it's correct. Two more data points: the camera icon was there before I installed a USB drive at all, and I've never received an error after connecting the drive to the USB port.

View attachment 475820

Are you seeing two camera icons, a circular one for Sentry and a rectangular one for DashCam? It sounds like you just have the circular one for Sentry. The DashCam icon will not show up until a USB disk is inserted and configured correctly.

Sounds like your car is AP2 hardware which doesn’t record even though you see a Sentry Mode icon. If you had a Dashcam icon then you have AP 2.5/3.0 and you’d be able to record to your drive.

I thought all Model 3's had at least 2.5. In any event, my trouble was using the passenger side USB. The passenger side works to charge my phone, but it doesn't recognize the USB drive. I plugged it in the driver's side USB, and the dash cam icon appeared in a few seconds. I'll drive it tomorrow to ensure it's recording. I found this solution from another user in the same boat on the Tesla forums. Is it usual for the passenger side USB not to work for data? Everything I've read online says to use the front ports but doesn't specify the driver's side.