Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Difference in Range between 21'' and 19'' Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my used 2015 70D, it came with OEM 21'' Grey Turbine Wheels. From everything I read on here, 19'' wheels would be more practical for efficiency among other things. However, since switching to 19'' Slipstream wheels a week ago, I haven't registered any gains in range. Battery degradation sitting at 7.8%, max range around 222 miles with either wheel set.

Is there difference in the widths?
That is one place you’ll see a difference.
Also what tires your running.
If you are running the same width and same compound tire you won’t see much difference.

Quite often the large rims are wider tires (they are on new cars) and higher performance tires that stick better but use more energy.

It’s not just the rim. You can put wider stickier tires on the same rim and see efficiency go down.

Reactions: jschimel
How are you judging the range? I do not think the battery gauge will reflect the change. The only effect will be on your efficiency. If you had run a test before you switched tires, driving a specific route at a specific speed, and recorded the Wh/mi, then repeated that test exactly with the new wheels, then you would see the effect in an objective way. Otherwise you are stuck trying to observe the range changing by random observations of the energy graph and it will be hard to accurately observe the change.
If you have any notes of a long trip with the previous wheels, maybe you can see the change if you repeat that trip, but there are many variables - speed and air temperature being the two most important.

On my 2015 85D, switching from 21" Turbines with part-worn whatever-they-were tires, to 19" Slipstreams with new Michelin Energy tires, I saw a 16% efficiency increase on nearly identical long-distance drives, using data from Teslamate. I was pleasantly surprised. Thread here, with math.

What sort of driving have you been doing over the week since you switched? You'll see the most efficiency gain cruising at highway speeds.

When I bought my used 2015 70D, it came with OEM 21'' Grey Turbine Wheels. From everything I read on here, 19'' wheels would be more practical for efficiency among other things. However, since switching to 19'' Slipstream wheels a week ago, I haven't registered any gains in range. Battery degradation sitting at 7.8%, max range around 222 miles with either wheel set.

You won’t see a change in your battery rated miles display. You will see a change in actual driving efficiency.

Does your car give you the setting/option to select which wheels it has in it?

I see, thanks a lot everyone! :) Definitely makes sense now that I would see gains in efficiency instead of rated range. I just figured at first that by switching wheels to the 19'' in the MCU, that it would change the ideal calculation.

I'm definitely seeing gains at least in terms of "real world range" in the Tessie app :)

Reactions: JimmyB
I had both 19s and 21s on my 2015 P85D and there was ZERO difference in range with them. The 21s looked cool but were less comfortable and not practical in the snow. Both sets had all season tires. The 21s were square so not wider in the back. Had I had the non square setup I'm pretty sure I would've notice a range drop.

My used 2015 70D had 21" slipstreams on it in the lot and I had them swap the 19" 5-spokes from another S they had.
They were beautiful on the car, but I had read about range, cost, and susceptibility to potholes and decided to be somewhat practical. I do miss that look though!

Reactions: jschimel