Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Door Handles??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changes to improve a car are a good thing. Changes just for the sake of it are not. When functionality is degraded, it's been made worse. We've been seeing some of the latter lately.

Have to disagree with last statement. Not saying you are wrong, I just disagree.

I see it as Tesla's first iteration of anything is frequently off. But it is usually a significant change even a paradigm shift in many situations. It then requires iterations to get right. Particularly in and through software.
  • Mobile Eye to in-house AutoPilot was a big fail for a long time. But NOA and basic functionality is really good now. I use NOA daily on work commute of 74 miles.
  • The yoke. I have no idea why this caused such a ruckus. It took me (late 50's guy) all of less than 5 minutes on drive from Service Center to get it. The horn is plain outright stupid. But guess what, it's being fixed.
  • V11 SW. It was a major change. And some things got really f*ked up. But the latest release that increases the palate for the tray is a big move to fix things. Other changes and corrections will come.
The sucky part of all this, for some, is being an 'alpha/beta' tester. I don't mind. Others do, and rightfully so. My wife has no interest in new 'nuances'. She only wants it when it works 99.99999% of the time as it should and as expected.

They need to either improve testing or have a better way of limited user release. Maybe something like Apple's TestFlight or Beta participation programs. FSD distribution seems to be under tight control.. Can't see why this could not be expanded for everything else.

Last edited:
Knobs, switches & levers are expensive to manufacturer and install compared to an electric solenoid and programming.

Ultimately that's why Tesla's are devoid of manual knobs even when they are desperately needed.

I like the idea of no handles as long as there is still a means to allow my guests to get in on the other side of the vehicle, while keeping out those I don't want to get in.

Biggest issue I still have with Teslas is the bolt on completely unintegrated $99 I-pad bolted to the center of the dashboard to control everything. Looks cheap as hell. Can hardly believe that so many think it looks 'futuristic'. That is some K-Mart sh*t right there.

I deactivated the auto-present door handles on the X because of the issues a few here pointed out, to include auto presenting while (a) I'm in the garage working but not actually getting in the car, (b) in a packed parking lot and I'm putting groceries or shopping bags in the trunk, almost hitting another car or passerby, (c) on the side of the road after a flat tire, as cars speed by at 70 mph.

There is no circumstance I can think of in which the auto-presenting door handle solved any problem I hadn't realized I had to that point. But there have been several instances where (as pointed out above) autopresent has been anything from annoying to outright dangerous.

Knobs, switches & levers are expensive to manufacturer and install compared to an electric solenoid and programming.

Ultimately that's why Tesla's are devoid of manual knobs even when they are desperately needed.

I like the idea of no handles as long as there is still a means to allow my guests to get in on the other side of the vehicle, while keeping out those I don't want to get in.

Biggest issue I still have with Teslas is the bolt on completely unintegrated $99 I-pad bolted to the center of the dashboard to control everything. Looks cheap as hell. Can hardly believe that so many think it looks 'futuristic'. That is some K-Mart sh*t right there.
It's a big world Tesla isn't the only EV maker.

Lots of options for people who like buttons.

Just because I don't understand reasons for doing something a certain way doesn't make it wrong. Most people who buy a new car find there are new ways to drive the car, not at all like the first car I owned fifty years ago. People are required to move forward, learn new things, adapt, ALL THE TIME. Very few of them bitch about it. Even if they do, they usually find it does no good. No one will change the brake pedal for them, nor will Tesla quit making the yoke steering wheel just to please the very few who are unable to change or adapt. If you want controls like you grew up with, go buy a Volkswagen Beetle. If you want to move along with the rest of us into the future, make up your mind to do it.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I'm all for accepting things that smart people spent a lot of resources (time/brains/money) working out. Doesn't always succeed (see Apple's voice-only iPod shuffle), but usually it's the right thing in the long run - truly new just seems weird on first contact because it's first contact. Bring it on, let's see what it has to offer.

Having seen Tesla go the "minimal buttons" route, amazes me frequently how my Suburban has so darned many of them - all different, each with a non-trivial price.

How will the Emergency responders open your doors if you need medical assistance on the side of the road if there are no door handles?

Breaking the glass is supposed to be really hard too? Could get interesting.

I was rear ended in my Subaru Outback, hit from behind while stopped waiting to turn left, other car was doing 35. I was shoved up on the sidewalk.

EMT opened my driver door for me (I never lock my doors while driving, if possible). And helped me out. I was pretty dazed, but OK.

Not sure I trust Tesla to be able to get this right.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Maybe GM can specialize in making EVs for luddites. Seems like a natural fit.
How will the Emergency responders open your doors if you need medical assistance on the side of the road if there are no door handles?

Breaking the glass is supposed to be really hard too? Could get interesting.

I was rear ended in my Subaru Outback, hit from behind while stopped waiting to turn left, other car was doing 35. I was shoved up on the sidewalk.

EMT opened my driver door for me (I never lock my doors while driving, if possible). And helped me out. I was pretty dazed, but OK.

Not sure I trust Tesla to be able to get this right.
Same way they deal with opening your door if it’s locked. Which for most modern cars is most of the time when they are driving.

Emergency responders have equipment to open up complete crushed cars. They can get into the Cybertruck.

realistically this seems to me like 75% a cost cutting move. Yes, i'd prefer handles. How much do i care? I don't know; probably not a ton. Depends on how well it works.

Of course this is a "software" issue ... so it has a fare amount of room for tweaking. For instance, one poster complains of rapid access in their home garage where it is unlocked. I have no idea if they WILL do this, but it would be entirely feasible to have "zones" - if you enable it to behave differently in your "trusted" zone - garage, gated driveway, etc - the truck will ABSOLUTELY know that it's at that location ...

From my POV, I want it durable, comfortable / drive well, and have long range so i can still tow a couple hundred miles without charging. Right now our mY-lr can barely do a round trip to the cabin in the mountains. Now add the trailer ... I hope the CT will at least make 200 miles with trailer, which would require an EPA of what, 400++?

Oh, and ventilated seats :)

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Of course this is a "software" issue ... so it has a fare amount of room for tweaking. For instance, one poster complains of rapid access in their home garage where it is unlocked. I have no idea if they WILL do this, but it would be entirely feasible to have "zones" - if you enable it to behave differently in your "trusted" zone - garage, gated driveway, etc - the truck will ABSOLUTELY know that it's at that location ...
Tesla already does this. You can set your car up to auto lock and disable that when you are home. I think work also? I can’t recall, but you can absolutely have it treat home different from other places.

Reactions: outdoors
realistically this seems to me like 75% a cost cutting move
More of an Aerodynamic thing, I suspect. If you're towing, it won't matter though. Your trailer will dominate over door handles.

I hope the CT will at least make 200 miles with trailer, which would require an EPA of what, 400++
It all depends on the trailer. I'd assume a small, aerodynamic trailer would about double your energy consumption (yes that means it had better get 400 miles without the trailer to go 200 miles with).
For a larger or not-so-aerodynamic trailer, better get the 500 mile range one.

There are already flush handles on the existing versions, so I don't think that's it.
A lot of the "design" is just related to cost cutting IMO. Eliminating the driver's instrument display is a prime example of this.
The drivers instrument display was never there to eliminate. Original prototype had only the center screen.

There are some conflicting photos from Cyber Rodeo which suggest it’s been added.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
More of an Aerodynamic thing, I suspect. If you're towing, it won't matter though. Your trailer will dominate over door handles.

It all depends on the trailer. I'd assume a small, aerodynamic trailer would about double your energy consumption (yes that means it had better get 400 miles without the trailer to go 200 miles with).
For a larger or not-so-aerodynamic trailer, better get the 500 mile range one.
Door handles would increase aerodynamic drag on a 7-8k truck by 0%.

Nothing at all to do with aerodynamics.

And let’s be honest Tesla predominately designs cars for the banana belt (SoCal). I love my M3 but there are many quirks when it comes to winter: lack of interior lighting (you know for when it is dark all winter), oddball F/R drive on the AWD (rear slides then front motor kicks in), frameless doors (freeze), placement of charge door (freezes shut), UI update that hides wipers/defrosters, all tough screen interfaces (that don’t work with heavy gloves), … Many things.

How in the world are you going to get into a truck with no door handles when the doors are frozen shut with a 1/2” of ice? especially considering how much stronger ice is going to bond to raw SS then a painted/waxed surface.

Last edited:
How in the world are you going to get into a truck with no door handles when the doors are frozen shut with a 1/2” of ice? especially considering how much stronger ice is going to bond to raw SS then a painted/waxed surface.
There is an icebreaker which should be more effective than yanking on a handle. They use it on the Model X.

They also started heating the door on the charge port to thaw it out.

There is an icebreaker which should be more effective than yanking on a handle. They use it on the Model X.

They also started heating the door on the charge port to thaw it out.
ice breaker doesn’t work when the doors are frozen from condensation on the inside or when water ran down the jam then froze. Like when you get rain that switched to snow and temp plummets. 3 or 4 times a winter the only way I can get in one of my cars is to muscle the door handles or in my LX570 climb in through the tail gate then push out a door from the inside.

This Happens with my model S, model 3, MB, Subaru, Lexus.

Possibly if Tesla also put in heat strips around the entire door frame.

Winter weather is an after thought with Tesla.

ice breaker doesn’t work when the doors are frozen from condensation on the inside or when water ran down the jam then froze. Like when you get rain that switched to snow and temp plummets. 3 or 4 times a winter the only way I can get in one of my cars is to muscle the door handles or in my LX570 climb in through the tail gate then push out a door from the inside.

This Happens with my model S, model 3, MB, Subaru, Lexus.

Possibly if Tesla also put in heat strips around the entire door frame.

Winter weather is an after thought with Tesla.

What the hell is winter? And what the dickens is that white stuff anyways?

Kidding. I grew up in Canada and went to college in Upstate New York. I remember block heaters all too well. :)

Reactions: coleAK