Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Door Handles??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another of Tesla's ingenious ideas that we don't need. Cool party trick, but not practical. Now, apparently, can't go out to the garage to grab something out the truck without first grabbing the keyfob, phone or key card. I love Tesla for their innovation, but sometimes it's just too much. I wanted a Model X, but avoided it because of the forced party tricks. Couldn't wait for a refreshed Model S, then they forced that yoke and all the haptic buttons on everyone, so that's out. My last hope was the Cybertruck, but it appears that it will have the same un-driver friendly features of the Model S and now, with no door handles either.

I get that Elon is designing "driverless" cars, but for the foreseeable future, these things still need DRIVERS and should be DRIVER FRIENDLY. This stuff will all be fine, still not necessary, but acceptable when TRUE FSD exists and we can simply be passengers. Until then, after 9 years with Tesla, there's no longer one on their list that I would consider. Amazing cars. By far the leader in this category. Unfortunately, for my personal use, all the mandatory controls or lack of controls being screen based or non-existent, are deal breakers for my daily use needs.

Another of Tesla's ingenious ideas that we don't need. Cool party trick, but not practical. Now, apparently, can't go out to the garage to grab something out the truck without first grabbing the keyfob, phone or key card. I love Tesla for their innovation, but sometimes it's just too much. I wanted a Model X, but avoided it because of the forced party tricks. Couldn't wait for a refreshed Model S, then they forced that yoke and all the haptic buttons on everyone, so that's out. My last hope was the Cybertruck, but it appears that it will have the same un-driver friendly features of the Model S and now, with no door handles either.

I get that Elon is designing "driverless" cars, but for the foreseeable future, these things still need DRIVERS and should be DRIVER FRIENDLY. This stuff will all be fine, still not necessary, but acceptable when TRUE FSD exists and we can simply be passengers. Until then, after 9 years with Tesla, there's no longer one on their list that I would consider. Amazing cars. By far the leader in this category. Unfortunately, for my personal use, all the mandatory controls or lack of controls being screen based or non-existent, are deal breakers for my daily use needs.
Only thing I’ll say is my Model 3 is one of the most fun best driving vehicles I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned Porsches, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, a Ferrari,…. I had a model as prior that was just ok but the driving dynamics of the 3 is a home run.

I agree the yoke and lack of handles are pointless along with many of the Tesla quirks

I wonder when the first false-positive will be for no-handle CT doors? Imagine, you're waiting at a light in traffic... a panhandler walks up to the passenger door and the car "thinks" that's someone who wants to get in. The door pops open, and the panhandler, befuddled, jumps in. Because "THE CAR KNOWS".

This is also Elon's "the best part is no part" philosophy.

I wonder when the first false-positive will be for no-handle CT doors? Imagine, you're waiting at a light in traffic... a panhandler walks up to the passenger door and the car "thinks" that's someone who wants to get in. The door pops open, and the panhandler, befuddled, jumps in. Because "THE CAR KNOWS".

This is also Elon's "the best part is no part" philosophy.
Think that particular edge case might be relatively easy to solve. Disengage door sensor when vehicle is in gear or when in ‘Hold’ mode.

Reactions: outdoors and Ogre
Think that particular edge case might be relatively easy to solve. Disengage door sensor when vehicle is in gear or when in ‘Hold’ mode.

Of course.. but there will be edge cases that they can't catch. What if I'm parked somewhere and just don't want the doors to pop open at-will, and I don't have the doors currently locked?

Automatic doors are just as dumb as the car "knowing" which direction you want to go and the gear shift being removed. Idiocy.

Of course.. but there will be edge cases that they can't catch. What if I'm parked somewhere and just don't want the doors to pop open at-will, and I don't have the doors currently locked?

Automatic doors are just as dumb as the car "knowing" which direction you want to go and the gear shift being removed. Idiocy.

That one’s easy too. But I get your point. :)

Unfortunately, for my personal use, all the mandatory controls or lack of controls being screen based or non-existent, are deal breakers for my daily use needs.
I’m not quite to the point where I will write off the CT but I certainly share your sentiment. I laughed when Elon said “All driver input is error”. He can’t even get the windshield wipers to do the right thing.

Good thing there's car wash mode??

Haven't used it yet because i didnt wash my car in 2 years now. Btw, do they have a supercharging mode? When the car is parked, doors locks, and phone inside. Anyone can come up and open the door. Very easy to rob a Tesla owner at the supercharger. Wonder how the cyber truck will know if it's your passenger or a stranger? Hope it has auto close as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: 82bert
Haven't used it yet because i didnt wash my car in 2 years now. Btw, do they have a supercharging mode? When the car is parked, doors locks, and phone inside. Anyone can come up and open the door. Very easy to rob a Tesla owner at the supercharger. Wonder how the cyber truck will know if it's your passenger or a stranger? Hope it has auto close as well.
Huh? You complain the charge port opens when you wash the car and then say you haven't washed your car in two years. And now you complain about supercharging and potential stolen car, what? :rolleyes:

Huh? You complain the charge port opens when you wash the car and then say you haven't washed your car in two years. And now you complain about supercharging and potential stolen car, what? :rolleyes:
Yeah. I used to wash it every weekend when the car was new back in 2018. It's just an old car now so I don't care.

The Supercharger was because I opened someone's door because I thought it was my car. It scared the lady inside. She was watching Neflix. The mirror were folded and she asked how I unlocked her car.

Reactions: FLRifleman
There is a button for doors in case you missed. Go look at the vids and pic from Texas rodeo.
My impression is that the door control is similar to the 2018 Roadster's: A big, long button on the sill in front of the window. With the Roadster, you simply push the button, the door latch opens, and you pull out on the door. The button is rubber, providing good grip and, when pressed, recesses slightly below the sill, providing a good hand hold to pull on.
Another feature I like on the Roadster is that there is a traditional keyhole on the underside of the door which one can easily unlock if power goes out. I doubt we'll see it on the CT though, since I suspect it was a Martin Eberhard addition. Musk doesn't seem to be very wise about backup options and fault tolerance like Martin was.
Anyone can come up and open the door. Very easy to rob a Tesla owner at the supercharger. Wonder how the cyber truck will know if it's your passenger or a stranger?
There is a door lock button on the Model 3 that should be used when sitting inside in dubious conditions.
Its on the touch screen but is a bit non-obvious. Its an icon that looks like a padlock. You touch it and it goes into a 'locked-hasp' condition as the door locks lock.
I used to miss the physical home button on my iPhone. That lasted a week and now it’s annoying when I have to used my sons old 8. Crossing my fingers Tesla had this figured out.
I guess different strokes for different folks. I have one of each (work and personal) but prefer the one with the home button. It is especially nice now as it works better one handed and I'm gimped up with only one working hand as I let a tendon repair with one hand in a splint. Swiping while holding the phone is a bit dicey with one hand.
I like improvements, and make my living fighting MBAs who can't envision them, but not all new changes are actually better.

There is a door lock button on the Model 3 that should be used when sitting inside in dubious conditions.
Its on the touch screen but is a bit non-obvious. Its an icon that looks like a padlock. You touch it and it goes into a 'locked-hasp' condition as the door locks lock.
You are right. I just tested this in my garage with the windows down, and I couldn't open the doors from the outside. I guess she didn't lock her car like she thought. Not many ppl have silver with dark tinted windows. Her car was also dirty like mine haha. Oops.