Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

no drill license plate holders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pro-tip: if you ever have to remove a badge or the license plate holder (usually with dental floss), and there is residual adhesive on the car, use mineral spirits on it. It will soften the adhesive so you can wipe it off easily with a paper towel. Mineral spirits is perfectly safe on cured paint. Best to first wash the area first to avoid microscratches when wiping off the adhesive. The mineral spirits will also remove any wax layer, so apply your protectant of choice after the adhesive is removed.

id rather get a ticket 7x ($140 worth of fix it tickets) than buy this lol
Here in TX my understanding is $200 for the first time. I've seen claims of having driven for years, decades even without getting ticketed but I'm not sure I want to test the local constabulary for their stance and quota hunger level on this matter. :p

P.S. It'll break my heart, because I really like the look of the nose au naturel, but I was planning to go with a clear film under the stock adhesive once I get the metal plates from DOT in the mail. This looks okay but also looks like a bit of futzing to pop off as I hit the State line so not sure it buys me a lot? *shrug*

If your state requires a front plate then the state is required to supply the hardware for a front plate. There is no need to purchase a bracket. And in Texas all you have to do is place the front plate on dash and carry the registration if you don’t want to mount the plate.

If your state requires a front plate then the state is required to supply the hardware for a front plate. There is no need to purchase a bracket.
??? One comes with the car. Is there a state that wouldn't laugh at you?
And in Texas all you have to do is place the front plate on dash and carry the registration if you don’t want to mount the plate.
Considered this. Then considered a sizable chuck of metal floating around about chest/neck height and in my field of vision. Together those overweighted the aesthetics, even just having to look at it. *shrug* That's before trying to figure out how to keep the plate from scratching & marking up things (I imagine there's a solution, given people do do this and with cars they are particularly concerned about the aesthetics of).

Surprised at all the negativity in this thread.

First of all, The Law plate holder is available directly from TorqueLift for $100 as a preorder. I already ordered mine. I like that it is removable, appears to let you attach it lower than the factory plate system, and maybe even offset it to the side (not sure if that would look better or not). As someone who has been pulled over for not having a front plate, but doesn't want to permanently affix it to my Model 3, this seems to be a good solution.

Reactions: VBruce
If your state requires a front plate then the state is required to supply the hardware for a front plate. There is no need to purchase a bracket. And in Texas all you have to do is place the front plate on dash and carry the registration if you don’t want to mount the plate.

you should never put the front plate on the dash inside the car, in the event of an accident, someones face is going to get sliced up..

Reactions: TonyPham