Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO-DRILL License Plate Mount for Tesla Model-S - SOLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NO-DRILL License Plate Mount for Tesla Model-S

I use this solution, very easy and leaves a solid, clean look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-DRILL-License-Plate-Mount-for-Tesla-Model-S-/251517193580?hash=item3a8f97cd6c&vxp=mtr

List Date: 4/29/2014

For more info, click here to view the original listing: NO-DRILL License Plate Mount for Tesla Model-S
--------------------------------------
SOLD

browseformore.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

1c3ef327-10a0-4a5f-b979-52a9edbe649e2.JPG

Last edited:
I bought this yesterday, but sorry I don't get my Model S until June 12th so I won't know till then. It looks legit though and its going to be what I am using as the ones forced on me in Texas takes away from the look. I will update once I have it mounted.

if you zoom in on the side view picture, it looks like some cheap eye bolts that have been opened up in a vice. You could probably replicate at a local hardware store for less then 10 bucks.

Look, I have no issue with someone providing a service and making a buck, but this is ludicrous. You think we could make this ourselves for less than $10 to make? Sorry, try about $2. In fact, I did this twice: once for my car, and once for a friend's. Less than $5.00 for both our cars. I completely fail to see how this product provides a service to anyone, except saving them a trip to their local hardware store.

I got stainless steel j-hooks and self-locking nuts from West Marine (boating store) for <$10.

$2 hardware is more likely to start rusting. But definitely no $$ for a "kit" needed ...

LIKE.

Use .10 zip ties on my $121,000 car? I don't think so, you guys are funny. Zip ties aren't recommended for vibration prone applications, as stated by the manufacturer, they make the plate easy to steal, and are not fixed properly for sway. I use this solution, and it's great, it's easy to remove and reinstall for washing, sturdy and will last the life of the car. I also like the locking solution. I don't own cutting tools or torches, so this was a cost effective and reliable solution for me. I LIKE.

Klaus, could you post the part numbers of the items you bought from West Marine? I like that price :) Thanks!

Sorry, part numbers are gone with the packaging and the receipt, and it was months ago, so I don't remember. I had to dremel off a little length of the threaded part so they were flush with the holes in the factory license plate holder. I also used closed cell foam strips on the back of the plate holder to protect the paint on the bumper.

Since you're half way up the peninsula from me, maybe you can check it out when we meet at a local gathering that lorih organizes?

-------------

Update: I looked at westmarine.com for a few minutes and couldn't find it. I think I used short J-hooks, threaded eye bolts and locking nuts, since they didn't have threaded J-hooks. Works just as well. I'll check next time I get a chance.

Last edited:
Use .10 zip ties on my $121,000 car? I don't think so, you guys are funny. Zip ties aren't recommended for vibration prone applications, as stated by the manufacturer, they make the plate easy to steal, and are not fixed properly for sway. I use this solution, and it's great, it's easy to remove and reinstall for washing, sturdy and will last the life of the car. I also like the locking solution. I don't own cutting tools or torches, so this was a cost effective and reliable solution for me. I LIKE.

Seriously. Throw in 50 cents of double sided Velcro to secure the plate down and you're good to go. You do realize someone can easily steal your plate with a simple screw driver too, right? Your bracket may still be there but they can take the plate.

I feel bad about buying this now not knowing. I got this product in the mail today so I will take some pictures and upload it tomorrow. Not trying to lose this guys sales or anything, not my goal. Just want others to be informed. If there is some special way he is doing it then for sure maybe its worth it. We will see.

So, I got the item. They are LITERALLY home depot parts. Not impressed at all. Doesn't even come with a license plate holder!!

I was foolish to purchase this. Not to be a jerk to the seller, but there is nothing special about this product and I would just do it yourself.

EDIT: To be fair the description does not say it comes with the license plate holder, but still. All this is not worth 40 dollars. Maybe 5 dollars.

For people who've done this flip-upside-down-the-factory-provided-plate-holder-and-hold-together-with-zip-ties solution, do you apply any foam or felt surface or other kind of material to the back of the plastic plate holder so it doesn't scratch or scrape the surfaces it's up against, or, do you just zip-tie the thing and be done with it?

For people who've done this flip-upside-down-the-factory-provided-plate-holder-and-hold-together-with-zip-ties solution, do you apply any foam or felt surface or other kind of material to the back of the plastic plate holder so it doesn't scratch or scrape the surfaces it's up against, or, do you just zip-tie the thing and be done with it?

I bought double sided Velcro and put pieces on the car and on the plate frame to keep it from sliding around and damaging anything.

The guy offers 14 days money back if you're not happy with it. I like it. I've seen the front license plate holder on eBay for $100 if you can believe that, and the rear frame for $34.95 here.

Tesla Mirror Chrome Stainless Steel License Plate Frame Caps Laser Engrave | eBay

I totally expect a black market in parts to spring up soon, that's probably where the frames on eBay are coming from. I wouldn't miss anything but the front holder and the plates, but what a pain.