Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No drive and blank screen on entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to go out last night and after unlocking was presented with a blank screen and couldn't do anything. Air con was running, then after a minute the radio came on. Tried the two button reset, but nothing. Got out, locked it, got back in, and all was well. This was the second time I've had this happen. Any thoughts?

Went to go out last night and after unlocking was presented with a blank screen and couldn't do anything. Air con was running, then after a minute the radio came on. Tried the two button reset, but nothing. Got out, locked it, got back in, and all was well. This was the second time I've had this happen. Any thoughts?
Yeah happened once about 6 months ago and fine since

If its only occured once (or even a 2-3 times in a year) I wouldn't worry about it - any more frequently and definitley report it to Tesla.

I've had it occur maybe 3 times in year and half of ownership - first time was within first week of ownership, the other times were not immediately after a software update - but were immediatley after I had driven following an update, when I tried to re-enter the car.

In all cases same as you, pressing brake/buttons to reset didn't appear to do anything, but getting out the car after doing it and re entering, caused the car to reboot (Tesla logo on screen) and then everything came back as normal.

Just had this happen to me yesterday. Got in, hear the contactor clunk, but... screen is black. Nothing working. Foot on brake does nothing, put into drive does nothing. I put my card key on the console to see if it could start while dead, but nothing happened. After two button reboot it came back up. I'm not getting the Tesla T at reboot though.

This is really seriously not cool. It suggests that if the MCU is ever dead/broken you won't be able to drive. We know you can drive and reboot, but it looks like you need the MCU to authorize drive. I'm pretty concerned, because the MCU head unit software is terribly buggy, like that crash on opening the user manual.

Do report it, it could be a one off bug but could also be the infotainment computer or something more serious like the HV controller - that was the fault on mine. They'll be able to check from the logs if there's any HW concerns. Better to report and get it checked out than be stuck at the side of the road a few months down the line, or worse outside warranty.

Just had this happen to me yesterday. Got in, hear the contactor clunk, but... screen is black. Nothing working. Foot on brake does nothing, put into drive does nothing. I put my card key on the console to see if it could start while dead, but nothing happened. After two button reboot it came back up. I'm not getting the Tesla T at reboot though.

This is really seriously not cool. It suggests that if the MCU is ever dead/broken you won't be able to drive. We know you can drive and reboot, but it looks like you need the MCU to authorize drive. I'm pretty concerned, because the MCU head unit software is terribly buggy, like that crash on opening the user manual.
If you're already driving and the MCU fails / decides to reboot, you can continue driving, everything else seems to continue to function (you can even go into reverse and park)... But I have no idea if you would be able to start driving with it down - with pin to drive I guess probably not - maybe the remote start feature would still work but I guess it's one of these things we'll never know for sure until it happens.

We had a total MCU/"car computer" failure last year (it was repeatedly failing to boot) - needed a replacement - 'gateway module had failed' preventing bootup. Took 2 attempts over 2 days to recover the car, the second time with a Tesla tech on site. Moral of that story, don't park on steep slopes with limited access... ironically, with Tesla tech on site the car woke normally so they didn't actually need to do anything - later MCU, aka 'car computer', diagnostics discovered the 'gateway' fault, hence the replacement.

Anyway, it was suggested by Tesla tech that had the car not had pin to drive active it should have been drivable enough to recover. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much of the car was functional without a functional MCU.

Do report it, it could be a one off bug but could also be the infotainment computer or something more serious like the HV controller - that was the fault on mine. They'll be able to check from the logs if there's any HW concerns. Better to report and get it checked out than be stuck at the side of the road a few months down the line, or worse outside warranty.

That's good advice, I think will go ahead and report it and see if they have an errors reported. At a minimum maybe it also raises some awareness that I need to be able to hit drive even if the MCU is dead.

Just had this happen on my 20 M3P. Car locks and unlocks from the app, yet states last seen over 12h ago. Windows roll up and down. But the screen is black and doesn’t respond to rebooting and obviously won’t go into drive.
Very weird. Fortunately it happened at home.
Currently having it towed to the service center.