TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No dual-motor for standard battery?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Sedoy, May 20, 2018.

1. Sedoy

Sedoy New Member

So from the recent release my understanding is that dual-motor are not yet (if ever be) available for standard battery (220mi range) Model 3 correct?

2. TT97

TT97 Active Member

No word yet that I know of but definitely no standard battery AWD until the standard battery version is released.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Nope, I think we won’t see any standard battery ones until end of the year

4. Vern Padgett

Vern Padgett Proud and Grinning Model S90D owners

We are in the market for a Model 3 Standard Battery with AWD and AP. Don't need the big battery because we have a Model S90D and I live 3 miles from work.

5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

it'll happen, we don't know when but we do know the price

Model3specschanged.png

• Informative x 2
  6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

We know this one's incorrect. Somebody that's been keeping current should probably update the new knowns on wikipedia.

• Like x 1
  7. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

I want a SR Model 3 with AWD and so does everyone else.

Everyone seems to also want all the PM3 Production in Q3 and Q4.

So based on the wants and desires of everyone -

No one is getting a SR Model 3 with AWD with the full tax credit. :)

8. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

• Like x 1
  9. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

I was told by an employee to expect the SR AWD next year

10. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Keep in mind that the way things are looking a whole ****load of people will qualify for the $3750 of tax credit for the entire first half of 2019, which could be a large percentage of those who currently have a reservation. Some of the people will be losing near nothing (except from pulled out hair from waiting!) as they wouldn't be able to take advantage of the full $7500 anyway.

11. drawfour

drawfour Member

No. I want LR with AWD.

12. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

That car is only 40,000 vs 49,000 before taxes.

Huge difference in price. I can’t afford it but 40k is a toy or extra car for some people in the community.

13. drawfour

drawfour Member

I understand it's more than 20% more expensive. I realize that not everyone can afford that, and that even for people who can afford it, they don't need the extra range and thus don't find $9k to be worth it for something they won't use.

You just made it sound like your needs/wants and everyone else's are the same. They're not. I do not want standard range. This vehicle is going to be my daily commuter but also my road trip vehicle. I do not want to spend another road trip in my wife's Prius. And I would be in danger of that with only 220 miles of range. If Tesla offered a 400-mile version (Extended Long Range), I would be tempted to get it, depending on extra cost.

14. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

I’m bullish TSLA on my option trades. I have to hope I am able to read the consumers well enough as a whole.

15. drawfour

drawfour Member

Well, Tesla probably has the best knowledge of what kinds of configurations people are waiting for, since they have information from people who have been invited and from people who just have a reservation but no invite. But they've not said anything to the public, so your opinion on what people want and my opinion are just our best guesses. You may be right, and perhaps 50% of the reservation holders out there just want SR. Maybe it's 80%. I'm only commenting that it seems highly unlikely that "everyone" (or even almost everyone) wants AWD SR.

In my opinion, the majority of people who will buy a Tesla Model 3 will be replacing an existing vehicle, and will not be buying it in addition to what they have. So it needs to fulfill whatever requirements the previous vehicle fulfilled. Part of that very well will be long distance trips, and the LR goes a long way to fill that gap. There are superchargers to get you there even on SR, and more and more will be coming online in the next year or two, but the stops take time. LR helps cut that down.

I guess we'll see in another year, as the SRs start rolling out, and Tesla starts giving out numbers for what kinds of cars they are selling.