Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No "Dual Motor" Lettering on M3 LR AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
Well, got my nice new M3 LR AWD last week, and (of course!) I'm loving it. Only yesterday did I notice that it doesn't have the "Dual Motor" label on the back of the car.

Have Tesla stopped doing this? It's def a dual motor M3 (ordered that way, shows that on VIN and shows Dual Motor on the touch screen when I tap the "T" logo). I'm actually quite happy NOT to have to "Dual Motor" signage, which always seemed a bit out of place to me. The car is 2019 with HW3 so apparently its recent production.

--Tim

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I ordered one as well. I am like the OP and would prefer NOT to have any badges on the car. The car speaks for itself, and if someone is interested I will gladly show and share info.

Ordered White/White/18"/FSD on 6/1. Still no VIN from Tesla :(.

ECTO-1

Curious .. I wonder what happened to my badge? There is no sign it was ever attached or fell off. I mean I'm ASSUMING I have dual motor (it says so in the order manifest, I paid for it, and touching the Tesla button on the screen shows "Dual Motor" in the description of the car).

Which brings up an interesting point. How CAN you tell if you have dual motors? I mean I suppose I can crawl around under the car, but is there anything easier you can do? (Other than racing a non-dual model hehe.)

--Tim

Curious .. I wonder what happened to my badge? There is no sign it was ever attached or fell off. I mean I'm ASSUMING I have dual motor (it says so in the order manifest, I paid for it, and touching the Tesla button on the screen shows "Dual Motor" in the description of the car).

Which brings up an interesting point. How CAN you tell if you have dual motors? I mean I suppose I can crawl around under the car, but is there anything easier you can do? (Other than racing a non-dual model hehe.)

--Tim

When I got my car delivered no cars at the time had badging. Guess they hadn't gotten the parts in yet--I had ordered as soon as I could when AWD became available to me. A month or so later I did get an email that for our area they were holding a badging event and could show up at a location and they would apply it for you. Didn't go and didn't really care if I had it or not. However just watching a guys Model 3 get towed on his sentry cam (he had RWD), it did make me think maybe it wouldn't be bad idea to have it applied since towing would be different and you'd want people to know that. I was thinking of asking for the badging and since I was getting my car wrapped after delivery sometime, didn't want them to have to take if off and then reapply so another reason I held off doing.

My guess is they ran out of the badging when your car was in production. Just ask service if you want it installed. It doesn't take long. Not sure if you'd have to drive in to have it done or if Tesla mobile would come out and do it so as not to tie up the service centers. If you are getting your car wrapped might want to consider holding off or picking it up and just giving to your detailer to apply afterwards. Would want it applied before getting ceramic coating I would think so it adheres.

As to did you get a Dual Motor, your screen under the Tesla T will show your car and say so. Also the vehicle sticker on the drivers door jam will indicate the weight and it would correspond to the weight of the Dual Motor.

I have the same exact model and it came with the dual motor badge. The initial order was placed on 5/30/19. Mine had a manufacture date of 5/4/19 and was available to pickup here in West Palm Beach on 5/10/19. I actually took delivery on 5/14/19.

Took delivery in Sept and it did not come with a badge. They contacted me a few months later to schedule an appt to put the badge on. Said no thanks. Ended up having to leave the car with them to replace a side mirror and when I picked it up, it had the badge applied. Argh.. No big deal either way but I would have preferred it with no badge.

• Funny
Reactions: Scott7
Just for a comical note: as the Delivery Center was not ready for the arrival of off-menu RWD LRs, I have a registration plate holder at the back that says "All Wheel Drive", so everyone just assumes I have an AWD LR...

Well, got my nice new M3 LR AWD last week, and (of course!) I'm loving it. Only yesterday did I notice that it doesn't have the "Dual Motor" label on the back of the car.

Have Tesla stopped doing this? It's def a dual motor M3 (ordered that way, shows that on VIN and shows Dual Motor on the touch screen when I tap the "T" logo). I'm actually quite happy NOT to have to "Dual Motor" signage, which always seemed a bit out of place to me. The car is 2019 with HW3 so apparently its recent production.

--Tim

I wouldn't be happy NOT having the badge, since in the event of a tow I need them to know it's an AWD version.