Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No enhanced summon with V10 software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the V10 update and checked to see if the summon capabilities have changed. Unfortunately, unlike our American counterparts, we are still getting basic summon commands, ie. forwards and backwards, whereas in the States they are able to have the car drive itself to wherever you are in the car park. Can't understand why we are so behind with our capabilities compared to the States.

Blasted regulations! That is why our autopilot is not as enhanced as the US version. I can understand the need for health and safety but can't they see that there isn't a spate of accidents occuring in the States?!

I've heard mention of these regulations. But does anyone have a link to them and/or a link to Tesla's explanation/expectation?

S
UN/ECE Regulation 79, to be precise:
Official Journal L 318/2018

It’s a long read, there’s several aspects to it that basically nullify proper Autopilot and Summon, e.g. maximum steering input etc

It’s a pile of crap really, holding this stuff back, and it’s unlikely to change any time soon regardless of Brexit.

Musk has said that they’re working with the authorities to try and find a solution but I would not expect anything to change any time soon. Maybe when the likes of VW and Mercedes are ready with their solutions there will be some movement...

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and SimonTe
UN/ECE Regulation 79, to be precise:
Official Journal L 318/2018

It’s a long read, there’s several aspects to it that basically nullify proper Autopilot and Summon, e.g. maximum steering input etc

It’s a pile of crap really, holding this stuff back, and it’s unlikely to change any time soon regardless of Brexit.

Musk has said that they’re working with the authorities to try and find a solution but I would not expect anything to change any time soon. Maybe when the likes of VW and Mercedes are ready with their solutions there will be some movement...
Does it cover private roads too? Enhanced autopilot only works on private roads.

Some of it will change very soon.. the WP29/GVRA committee that handles this stuff met last week. It'll take a while to know the results though (about a month based on the last time).

There were proposals for increasing the timeout for lane change for 20 seconds for example, and changing the wording to stop aborts mid-manoeuvre. Some tweaks to the lateral force stuff (but I've not noticed that being an issue).

The only proposal I can see that might relate to advanced summon (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2019/21) is one from the UK forbidding its use on public roads/carparks.. How forward thinking of us..

Some of it will change very soon.. the WP29/GVRA committee that handles this stuff met last week. It'll take a while to know the results though (about a month based on the last time).

There were proposals for increasing the timeout for lane change for 20 seconds for example, and changing the wording to stop aborts mid-manoeuvre. Some tweaks to the lateral force stuff (but I've not noticed that being an issue).

The only proposal I can see that might relate to advanced summon (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2019/21) is one from the UK forbidding its use on public roads/carparks.. How forward thinking of us..
Funny how the working party 29 works towards global harmonisation of vehicle standards yet on some things the US is stricter, like EPA test cycles and independent enforcement, aka exposing diesel gate, yet the USAaccepts more relaxed rules on summon.

Honestly i think it will just be like Navigate on Autopilot, may take a few months to come out, but will eventually come out with limited capability compared to America.

It is going to take some changes before that is likely to happen.

The key benefit of the Advanced Summon is the range, and that gets nerfed on the current summon, so without the range it is pointless to have Advanced Summon.