TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No Firmware 8.0 yet....

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by mhw23, Oct 3, 2016.

1. mhw23

mhw23 Member

I picked up my 75D on September 24th, and it didn't have 8.0 at that point. I've been waiting for the firmware to be pushed out but so far no luck. Anyone else still waiting?

2. John Boylan

John Boylan New Member

Yes still waiting patiently, but my patience is running out. :( Mine is a P90DL that I took delivery of back in July. I am located in Canada also which could be another reason.

3. bob_p

bob_p Member

Welcome to the Tesla owner community!

With 8.0, Tesla appears to be following the same release strategy as previous releases.

New software releases are trickled out to a small number of cars, in a seemingly random order.

Tesla encounters one or more major bugs and suspends distribution.

Tesla fixes the problem(s) and restarts distribution.

With previous releases, some owners were able to force getting the new release early by driving to a service center - a loophole that appears to have been closed for 8.0.

With this release distribution strategy, it's possible some owners may not get a new release for weeks or months after it is first made available.

It's unclear this strategy will satisfy Tesla's increasingly expanding owner community (especially when the Model 3 is released), and they will hopefully be making the needed improvements in their software development and testing process to make software distribution smoother for future releases.

4. mhw23

mhw23 Member

Thanks for the welcome! So happy to be driving a Tesla. My commute is so much easier now. Given all of the issues I'm reading about with 8.0, I guess I'm not in that much of a hurry.

• Like x 1
  5. MikeMayhem

MikeMayhem Member

Getting a little impatient! LOL.....
    You think that they would have tested fully before a release.....

In Canada with an early P85D that normally gets updates quickly, according to the Firmware Tracker that I wish more people would report to.

Love the car but would be nice if Tesla would inform owners what is going on or an estimate of what to expect.

• Helpful x 1
  6. mhw23

mhw23 Member

I just got it last night. Updated while I slept. We'all see how the morning commute goes!

7. Kbra

Kbra Member

I had it for a brief moment on my 2015 S60 then upgraded last week to a 2016 90D and im back to 7.xxx.

8. mhw23

mhw23 Member

Which do you prefer (not the car, the software)?

9. mhw23

mhw23 Member

False alarm. My Tesla updated last night but it's still a rev of 7.1. The waiting continues....

10. Benthamman

Benthamman New Member

Perhaps they are picking on Canadians! - Picked up 90D in July - No update yet

11. LastGas

LastGas Member

#11 LastGas, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    I figure that the majority of Tesla owners do not have 8.0 yet based on the Firmware Tracker. <whine>I certainly don't. </whine>

12. mhw23

mhw23 Member

I think it used to be that the entire fleet was updated within 2 weeks of initial release. I guess with more cars and variants, as well as the recent rebooting issues, we will be waiting a while longer.

13. LastGas

LastGas Member

I see the first entries in the Tracker outside North America have appeared, from Switzerland.

14. Kbra

Kbra Member

I didnt get a ton of time on 8.0 but i felt that AP was improved and was actually seeing two cars ahead, didnt slow as hard on curves, and seemed less jerky. The auto hiding top bar when maps is open was annoying because i couldnt for the life of me get it to come back down without flipping the location of the map to bottom. Got it once by clicking the top bar. After that i couldnt repeat it...

15. cynix

cynix Member

Interestingly they got the oldest build of 8.0, not the latest.

16. LastGas

LastGas Member

Typo?