Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression that my car came with a bunch of features that it didn’t. It didn’t come with floor mats, which is kinda weird for a 40k car. It had rear heated seats, but they took that away, and footwell lights. I understand the rear heated seats, even though I was told my car should have them by my owner representative, and the floor mats, so they can save money, but footwell lights? Really? That’s just cheap on Tesla’s part. They are already there and sometimes come on for a split second, but if we weren’t told that they weren’t going to be there, like the floor mats, then why are they turned off. If the lights are physically there just turn them on. It is pretty cheap, in my opinion to do that. Please sign this petition for Elon musk to turn them on at Tesla Becuase in my opinion a car that expensive should, maybe not for the price, but for lack of transparency on their part. I’m not trying to be cheap but when I bought my car I was under the impression that the footwell lights would work. Please sign this petition
Sign the Petition

I found this post related to this on another forum and thought it was funny:

I would hate to not be able to see my feet while driving, I just love to watch my toes wiggle around while I am driving.

sorry, :p

Actually I am not sorry.

But yes, I can see this being super annoying. Especially if the lights used to come on, and on top of that, briefly come on until it's told to turn off since that option shouldn't be enabled...

Reactions: Fadiawesome
FWIW someone posted a how-to on getting them to work. it didn't appear terribly involved but involved enough that i don't care. while you can enable the lights, you won't get the ambient fading you would normally get.

A store representative recently informed me that the Tesla will no longer install footwell lights in the Model 3 Standard Plus. (Previous models had footwell lights that were software disabled.) The ambient lighting makes quite an impact when you sub in the much brighter lights in blue and other colors available from third party vendors (and add stainless steel foot pedals that reflect the lighting). You also lose the armrest ambient lights. The enhanced stereo and the ambient lighting are the reasons why I choose to pay an extra 9K for the long range dual battery model. Most people would not do so, and so I think Tesla is making a marketing error in not allowing customers to select a premium package separately from the dual battery.

A store representative recently informed me that the Tesla will no longer install footwell lights in the Model 3 Standard Plus. (Previous models had footwell lights that were software disabled.) The ambient lighting makes quite an impact when you sub in the much brighter lights in blue and other colors available from third party vendors (and add stainless steel foot pedals that reflect the lighting). You also lose the armrest ambient lights. The enhanced stereo and the ambient lighting are the reasons why I choose to pay an extra 9K for the long range dual battery model. Most people would not do so, and so I think Tesla is making a marketing error in not allowing customers to select a premium package separately from the dual battery.

Imagine the range of a dual battery... and the weight!

Every car manufacturer sets trim levels. When Tesla was ready to up production, the need to streamline production played into it to get to their target numbers. They still have more demand than production quantity so likely won’t be offering more options to people who order. I seem to recall sometime ago Elon saying that the Model 3 would be limited to X-number of variants and the S and X would have significantly more (as a higher priced and higher margin car).

For some time it was more expeditious to install the same trim parts in Model 3 to keep production pace than not. Wasn’t really fair to higher tiered trim version owners but only some items could be “turned off” via software. Things like the seat material could not. I find it interesting if true that Tesla’s production (maybe with demand soon to be split with Giga3) will be able to restructure runs to be more selective in part options going in lower end cars. Certainly those non-trim parts cost the company something, so it’s also a cost cutting tool they have not felt they could exercise prior.

I do think it’s important to differentiate trim features from a buyers’ perspective and company cost one, so I guess no footlights makes a lot of sense to me. I do “get” wanting a more full featured car from a buyer’s position as everyone loves getting more for their money but don’t see it in the cards. Keeping the trim levels distinctive makes sense.

Last edited:
Tesla's website continues to change its list of what is included in Premium vs. Partial Premium. Last week, ambient lighting was listed in the list of Premium features but not in the Partial Premium features. The listing has since been changed so that ambient lighting is not listed in either category. Based on recent statements from a Tesla company rep, however, you should assume that Partial Premium Interior does not include ambient lighting. Interesting that the Partial Premium Interior lists "Premium seat material and trim," and Premium Interior leaves that out. The list is somewhat arbitrary in the way it is put together:

Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 10.22.15 AM.png

image.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 10.22.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 10.22.40 AM.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 185
    22.3 KB · Views: 171
    22.3 KB · Views: 117
  • image.png
    image.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image.png
    image.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image.png
    image.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: DJVoorhees
Shhh I'm hoping the less we talk about having streaming service the better our chances are they will leave it as it. Just kidding of course.
Big difference between FSD and two already installed LED's. There was or isn't any continued development costs on led bulbs.
I do think at least the fog lights should be an option that can be bought independently for safety reasons alone.

Reactions: RedWhite19