Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Free 7 Day Return In NY If You Accept The NYS $500 Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a Raven 2019 Model X.
Ordered on 8/14/19
Changed seat configuration on 8/15/19
Received notice that car was built on 8/28/19
Received VIN on 8/30/19

As of right now home delivery was quoted as being 9/9-9/14.

In going through the process one thing jumped out at me. This is a quote from my Tesla rep in an email on 8/30.

"Please sign the Drive Clean Rebate (attached to the end of the MVPA). We require your signature on the Drive Clean Rebate to process on your behalf. If you are purchasing as an individual, fill out the top section on page 2. If you are purchasing as a non-individual (fleet, business, or government entity), fill out the bottom section on page 2. You do not need to upload your NY State Driver’s License to the form as we already have your digital copy.

Note about the Drive Clean Rebate: Please be advised, by accepting any incentives (NY Rebate), your Tesla becomes ineligible for our Tesla Return Policy. Please let us know if you would like these incentives removed from your contracts as to stay eligible for the return policy."

So, if you take advantage of the NYS $500 rebate you forfeit your right to return the car to Tesla in that 7 day window!!!

Beware!

...So, if you take advantage of the NYS $500 rebate you forfeit your right to return the car to Tesla in that 7 day window!!!...

The good thing is it's not as complicated as in California that owners have to submit the application themselves and wait for the check.

The bad thing is of course, as you said, you are stuck with the car and it's non-returnable.

It's up to you to take or skip the $500 bait.

It would seem that one should be able to file for that rebate themselves (thus NOT accept it on the contract from tesla). Its likely because once they submit it to NY, that vin is likely "tatooed". I am in CA not NY but It would seem that one could submit this themselves instead. If I was OP I would have them remove the rebate from the deal (I doubt that $500 is make or break on a deal for someone who can afford to buy any new Model X), then file for it myself later.

That seems very anti-customer. :mad:

There have been many customers services or lack of lately.

It could range from the difficulty to get a human on the phone to the lack of Tesla loaner cars...

My guess is, at last, Tesla has responded to the public pressure to cut cost and aim for profit at the expense of customers services.

It sounds like Tesla needs to go private again and increase spending to make customers happier without worrying about the pressure for short term profits.