Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No free Supercharger for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the email that Model 3 reservation holders received a couple of days ago. It appears that the 400,000+ Model 3 will only have limited or no free Supercharger use. That would not be a deal breaker for me, but it is still interesting.

An Update to our Supercharger Program
Four years ago, Tesla introduced the Supercharger Network – the world’s fastest charging solution – to enable convenient long distance travel. Today, more than 4,600 Superchargers allow over 160,000 Tesla owners to drive all over the world.

We recently announced a change to the economics of Supercharging – one that allows us to reinvest in the network, accelerate its growth and bring all owners, current and future, the best Supercharging experience.

Any Tesla ordered by December 31, 2016 will continue to benefit from free unlimited Supercharging. For Model S and Model X vehicles ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel.

The change in the Supercharger Program has been well discussed. How it impacts the Model 3 is still unclear. It has NEVER been stated that the Model 3 will include free supercharging. Even during the initial reveal, the slides clearly stated supercharger CAPABLE. On that day, I knew supercharging would not be included as it currently is on the Model S / X.

As of Jan 1 2017, new Model S / X vehicles will get 400 kWh / year of included SC. Will the model 3 get that? Perhaps. I personally hope so, but it hasn't been directly stated by anyone from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The change in the Supercharger Program has been well discussed.
Plenty of discussion has been going on here since the announcement:

An Update to our Supercharging Program

Yes, I now see that it has been discussed on the Model S forum, but not on the Model 3 forum. I don't normally read the Model S forum since I am not interested in that model - too expensive and too big.

The email I received was obviously aimed at Model 3 reservation holders.

Yes, I now see that it has been discussed on the Model S forum, but not on the Model 3 forum. I don't normally read the Model S forum since I am not interested in that model - too expensive and too big.

The email I received was obviously aimed at Model 3 reservation holders.

Odd assumption with incomplete data.
Since you received the email, it would be just as logical to assume that it was aimed at you personally :(

The change affects all Tesla owners after the beginning of the year.
For Model S/X owners it is a change to the program.
For Model 3 reservation holders it is a clarification of how SuperChargers MAY work for them.

The change in the Supercharger Program has been well discussed. How it impacts the Model 3 is still unclear. It has NEVER been stated that the Model 3 will include free supercharging. Even during the initial reveal, the slides clearly stated supercharger CAPABLE. On that day, I knew supercharging would not be included as it currently is on the Model S / X.

As of Jan 1 2017, new Model S / X vehicles will get 400 kWh / year of included SC. Will the model 3 get that? Perhaps. I personally hope so, but it hasn't been directly stated by anyone from Tesla.

The press release stated:

For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually

Technically, it's correct that Tesla did not specifically say that Model 3 owners will also receive 400 kWh / year of SC credits. However, the press release did not specifically say that Model S / X owners will receive the credits either. So, by the same reasoning, there's (technically) no guarantee that Model S / X owners will be covered by the credit program... which seems incredibly unlikely.

We can lawyer this one sentence to death out of boredom, in the absence of any real Model 3 news (hi, Elon?), or we can apply Occam's razor and assume that this statement means exactly what it says: that all Teslas -- regardless of model, and including models that have yet to be announced -- ordered on or after January 1st will be subject to the new supercharger credit program, until Tesla decides otherwise.

Could Tesla change the supercharger program again before Model 3 orders open up? Of course they could. But until Tesla announces that the credit system will be different for Model S, X, and/or 3 owners in particular, I don't see any reason to conclude (or expect) that it will be.

Odd assumption with incomplete data.
Since you received the email, it would be just as logical to assume that it was aimed at you personally :(

The change affects all Tesla owners after the beginning of the year.
For Model S/X owners it is a change to the program.
For Model 3 reservation holders it is a clarification of how SuperChargers MAY work for them.

That's an odd assumption on your part since the only connection I have to Tesla is my reservation for a Model 3. Perfectly logical conclusion on my part to conclude the email was directed - wholly or in part - to Model 3 reservation holders.

The change affects all Tesla owners? I don't know, it only mentions Models S & X. Perhaps all "free" Supercharging will be eliminated for the Model 3 when it starts coming off the assembly line. I don't know. To conclude the new program will apply to the Model 3 ("affects all Tesla owners") is an odd assumption on your part in light of incomplete data. :p

Again, if free Supercharging is eliminated for the Model 3, it is still not a deal breaker for me.

However, the press release did not specifically say that Model S / X owners will receive the credits either.

But the email I received specifically said it would apply to the Model S & X.

Any Tesla ordered by December 31, 2016 will continue to benefit from free unlimited Supercharging. For Model S and Model X vehicles ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel.

For Model 3 reservation holders, the email raises more questions than it answers.

This has indeed been extensively discussed in multiple other threads as others have pointed out.
The change affects all Tesla owners?
And the first announcement of the change was made on the Tesla website (not in an email, that was later) at An Update to Our Supercharging Program which said "For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge..."

That blog post clearly means "all Teslas ordered after...". Which will include the Model 3 since so far no one has actually "ordered" a Model 3 they have only made a small refundable "reservation" deposit without configuring the car they want (since of course that isn't possible yet).

This recent announcement does not rule out that Tesla will not offer an optional "free for life" Supercharging for the S, X, or 3, or if in the future Tesla will change what they say they are going to start offering as of 1/1/2017. But the announcement seems clear to me as far as it goes. It also says "We will release the details of the program later this year". Stay tuned...

For Model 3 reservation holders, the email raises more questions than it answers.

I don't know that all M3 reservation holders received an email, I'm pretty sure I didn't, when did you get it? Have you had any other contact with Tesla? Maye a model S test drive and this was just a marketing email to you to try to get into an S or X prior to the end of the year.

I don't know that all M3 reservation holders received an email, I'm pretty sure I didn't, when did you get it? Have you had any other contact with Tesla? Maye a model S test drive and this was just a marketing email to you to try to get into an S or X prior to the end of the year.

I reserved my Model 3 on-line, March 31, just before the release. From that reservation Tesla has my name, address, and primary email address (the one the subject email was sent to). I received the email on November 12 about mid-day. I have never had any other contact with Tesla other than the reservation. I have been to the Tesla store once to look at an S but I didn't leave them any personal information - name, phone, or email. I have never driven a Tesla. I have never contacted Tesla via phone or email for anything other than the reservation. The only way they got my email address was from my Model 3 reservation.

But the announcement seems clear to me as far as it goes. It also says "We will release the details of the program later this year". Stay tuned...

The email which I quoted above in it's entirety says nothing about releasing more details later.

To repeat, the email I received poses more questions than answers for Model 3 reservation holders.

I just got the email here in Switzerland. The text is in French:

Toutes les Tesla commandées avant le 31 décembre 2016 continueront à bénéficier de la recharge gratuite et illimitée aux Surperchargeur. Pour les véhicules Tesla commandés après le 1er Janvier 2017, un crédit de recharge sur Superchargeur de 400 kWh (environ 1600 km) sera inclus annuellement afin que chaque propriétaire puisse bénéficier d'une recharge gratuite

It does not mention model S or X. It says "all Teslas" ordered before December 31st will continue to enjoy unlimited supercharging and "for the Tesla vehicles" ordered after January 1st will have 400 kWh of Supercharger credit.

So, just like the press release.

Cheers,

Abraham

• Informative
Reactions: BluestarE3
I wouldn't read too much into that e-mail. I've had no previous dealings with Tesla either prior to my Model 3 reservation on 3/31. Since then, I received unsolicited e-mails from them regarding the refreshed Model S and the Model X 60D, so this new one about Supercharging likewise isn't providing any new information about the Model 3 per se, but rather, some new information about their current models. All these e-mails seem to be enticements to get some Model 3 reservation holders to switch up to a Model S or X now instead of waiting a year minimum for a Model 3. In the case of the Supercharging e-mail, to switch up before the end of the year to get lifetime Supercharging. Model S and X were mentioned specifically because those are the only Teslas available that can still qualify for free Supercharging, and they are the ones that will lose this option come January 1. At the end of the e-mail, it provides a link to the blog post (cited by other posters above) that provides more details about the change in policy.

Last edited:
I got the email on 11/11/16, it states that all Model S/X that is purchased by the end of the year will have free for life Supercharging, and that all Model S/X purchased on or after 1/1/17 will have 400 kWh of free charging yearly for long distance travel.

The email which I quoted above in it's entirety says nothing about releasing more details later.

To repeat, the email I received poses more questions than answers for Model 3 reservation holders.

Sounds like a marketing email to get people into the S or X, I wouldn't read too much into it. Everything else they've said seems to point to the 3 being treated the same way.

I've studied other car brands and their non EV based intended involvement into the EV market.

For instance, the Bolt is nothing more than an initiative to get Chevys fleet MPG down. They really aren't interested in EV.

HOWEVER

The more I study Jaguar....they are entering the EV market with a true interest in EV. They seem to be doing things to their EV car that only people who are interested in EV would do. It looks luxurious and clean with nice 0-60 times....with at least 250 mile range per charge.

This seems like M3 competition.

Now if Jaguar is really interested in EV....they could truly create their own charging infrastructure.

In Pictures: Jaguar’s first all-electric car I-PACE with about 250 miles of range in 2018

• Helpful
Reactions: S3XY
The more I study Jaguar....they are entering the EV market with a true interest in EV. They seem to be doing things to their EV car that only people who are interested in EV would do. It looks luxurious and clean with nice 0-60 times....with at least 250 mile range per charge.

This seems like M3 competition.

Now if Jaguar is really interested in EV....they could truly create their own charging infrastructure.

In Pictures: Jaguar’s first all-electric car I-PACE with about 250 miles of range in 2018

Not to hijack my thread, but what's with the fake grill on the Jag? People who want an EV also want a grill? The proposed specifications for acceleration and range are just a pipe dream at this time. And the cost? probably more than an S that has better specs.

I wonder if Tesla will open up its Supercharger system to competing brands. The Supercharger infrastructure gives Tesla a YUGE marketing advantage.

But to get back on topic, the email I received was probably a marketing promotion based on my geographic location, California. But again, the email poses more questions than answers for Model 3 reservation holders.

Tesla needs to bill owner's for Supercharger use!! Owner's having to pay for credits take money out of the owner and puts it into the hands of Tesla. You could buy 1,000 kWh of credit and not use it for months or over a year. All that time, Tesla is using the owner's money to do as they wish. We should be billed on SC purchases as soon as our car's connect.

Tesla needs to bill owner's for Supercharger use!! Owner's having to pay for credits take money out of the owner and puts it into the hands of Tesla. You could buy 1,000 kWh of credit and not use it for months or over a year. All that time, Tesla is using the owner's money to do as they wish. We should be billed on SC purchases as soon as our car's connect.
There's that sticky wicket issue of being deemed an electric utility and all that entails.