Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Front Camera View?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That should not be the case. Take the card out and check your on your computer.
I have not installed a card yet. However just click on the camera in the info system only shows left, right and back. the front is a blank screen. I borrowed the attached photo from the internet, but it looks very similar to that. Where the front camera is black.

Attachments

• Tesla-2020.24-backup-camera-improvements.jpg
    Tesla-2020.24-backup-camera-improvements.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 4,724
On the 2021 the front camera only works when parked or at speed. You won’t be able to use it to park and see how close you are. Why? Great question.
Sorry is there a way to activate the front camera when parking forward? My 21 F150 Lareit with 360 can do this while showing a 360 view. In the 21 MS LR, i am not able to see how to turn on the front camera when parking (really important when parking the garage due to how low the car is). Thought this was a huge omission (next to the fact that 360 view is completely missing which i have had on all my cars i owned since 2007!!)

Sorry is there a way to activate the front camera when parking forward? My 21 F150 Lareit with 360 can do this while showing a 360 view. In the 21 MS LR, i am not able to see how to turn on the front camera when parking (really important when parking the garage due to how low the car is). Thought this was a huge omission (next to the fact that 360 view is completely missing which i have had on all my cars i owned since 2007!!)
Not that I found. My wife and I looked everywhere.

Would not matter if it was possible to activate it anyway. The angle/position/location of the front camera is not where it can be to provide a useful view in front to the curb/ground area.

Its this very reason that long before AP was added to the cars, that someone here (artsci) figured out a way to add a front camera to the Model S, just to see its front view. That camera was mounted to a useful location - the lower front grille.

Reactions: cmarshack
Where did he promise Bird's Eye 360 view? I'd like to see that.
Here it is: Tesla to offer bird’s eye view through Autopilot camera in FSD package

Also, just like the stopping line the visualization provides now, you are not statically moving into a parking space with a parking block. The car sees the parking block in front of you, and it can tell when it is time to stop. I am not so sure this can help much with curb rash, but self parking in spaces in parking lots both forward and rear need this capability. The camera can predict the position when it gets too close to the car to visually see. Lastly, the Cybertruck adds a camera beneath the front bumper to help with this issue.

Reactions: kazamm and Akikiki
The front camera will not help much with parking even if it can be displayed. The position high on the windshield means that it won’t see much more than you own eyes can. For that to work as a manual parking aid, it would have to be located in or below the front bumper. However, it may be possible through software for the camera to see an object before you reach it (and goes out of view) and estimate it’s position even when it is out of view by tracking the distance and how far you have driven forward. That may be what Elon referred to as 4D when he talked about vision only.

Reactions: Akikiki
Let's say I am trying to cross a street with Billy-Bob's giant truck parked at the corner of the oncoming traffic. Only way I can see if there is traffic coming is to pull out into the intersection to where I can see around the parked truck. My question is: How can I access the front cameras on the car to show me if traffic is coming? If I am backing up, I can easily see oncoming traffic with the rear view camera. How do I access the front cameras when the situation is revered? Any help would be appreciated.

Let's say I am trying to cross a street with Billy-Bob's giant truck parked at the corner of the oncoming traffic. Only way I can see if there is traffic coming is to pull out into the intersection to where I can see around the parked truck. My question is: How can I access the front cameras on the car to show me if traffic is coming? If I am backing up, I can easily see oncoming traffic with the rear view camera. How do I access the front cameras when the situation is revered? Any help would be appreciated.
There's no point to this. You can see just as much as the front camera. It's right in the rear-view mirror, so it's pointless to show it.

I can answer your question. But we need to plan a little ahead. Back in your driveway before we left we need to do a couple of things. I read, you wanted to know how to access the camera. You did not ask if it would see around the truck with its FoV.

1. Most people don't remember but the artsci front cam kit switch has a 433 MHz RF feature. You can create a choice on your Tesla for the camera like you would if you were opening your garage door with the 'House" icon on the top of the screen.

I'll confess, I don't remember the trigger it takes to put the RF function into pairing mode. But I am sure its here or in the instructions artsci wrote. Someone remembers and will chime in and tell. Once done, you have a center console screen choice.

2. Because it has the RF function and at 433 MHz, you can use just about any old generic remote and make it trigger front to rear. Just by pressing the remotes button. Most of those switch kits included to 4 button 433 MHz remotes. I don't know why, but only the "d" button on them would work for the switch.

3. You may not like this way, because it might require a physical momentary button switch, but it too works. To understand this you need to know a little about how the switch works. The marking on the switch that is supposed to run to the Reverse Wire in the harness is the key. The switch has 3 ports for cables, Camera, Front, and Rear. The green connector goes to 12V power, Grd, and (can't remember what its called). That wire is the trigger for the toggle between front and rear. how does it work? You simply give it a split second of 12V power. Hence the momentary switch. Connect one side of a momentary switch to 12V power, and the other side to the (can't remember what its called) wire from the front cam switch. Want to swap the picture? Press the button/momentary switch. Ta-Daaaaa.

Did you get your money's worth? That's actually three ways, and you only asked for one. LOL

That is exactly how it is supposed to look. That view never shows the front camera. It is meant as a driving aid to help you see what is behind and besides you.

No need for front camera as you can just look forward.

The dash cam recording will include front cameras too.
A front camera would allow you to see how far you can pull up in a parking spot.